Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: SMT10 Body...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SMT10 Body...

I'm having the hardest time figuring out what bodies would fit.

I'd apprecicate some ideas.

Was looking at the Pro-Line Topkick, but it looks to be too big for the SMT10 chassis.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SMT10 Body...

If you want a traditional monster truck look, its hard to go wrong with anything from JConcepts.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #3

Unfortunately, there isn't a good amount of info to determine this. Best solution is to find the body you like and see if others have used it and/or see if the listed dimensions will work. JConcepts is big into monster trucks. The owner actually purchased one of the 1:1 Bigfoot trucks (Bigfoot 6 if I remember correctly) and he's having it restored. So he's a monster truck nut in 1:1 and in RC. As a result they are making a few monster truck bodies that will fit the SMT10. Sadly, JConcept bodies don't hold a candle to Proline bodies. JConcepts bodies just don't have the details like Proline. JConcept bodies have subtle, washed-out features whereas Proline bodies have distinct lines.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I am going to try the Proline Baja Bug for the Slash for size. I think I'd like to make it up to look like the Tamiya Monster Beetle.

Otherwise, I like the JCon ford pickups, even the latest 2010 Raptor is nice.
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
If you want a traditional monster truck look, its hard to go wrong with anything from JConcepts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Unfortunately, there isn't a good amount of info to determine this. Best solution is to find the body you like and see if others have used it and/or see if the listed dimensions will work. JConcepts is big into monster trucks. The owner actually purchased one of the 1:1 Bigfoot trucks (Bigfoot 6 if I remember correctly) and he's having it restored. So he's a monster truck nut in 1:1 and in RC. As a result they are making a few monster truck bodies that will fit the SMT10. Sadly, JConcept bodies don't hold a candle to Proline bodies. JConcepts bodies just don't have the details like Proline. JConcept bodies have subtle, washed-out features whereas Proline bodies have distinct lines.

I've seen the JConcepts bodies.... but none of them seem particularly "perfect" or interesting.

If I had to go JConcepts, I was looking at the '84 Ford F-250. The Ford Panel truck is too similar to the Grave Digger my son has, and the Bog Hog is interesting, but not sure if it would look good as a monster truck.

Of the Pro-Line bodies, I was looking at the 2008 Ford F-250, 1/8 '56 Ford F-100, 1/8 GMC TopKick, and maybe the Apocalypse. Problem is... I have no clue if any of those would fit.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I've seen the JConcepts bodies.... but none of them seem particularly "perfect" or interesting.

If I had to go JConcepts, I was looking at the '84 Ford F-250. The Ford Panel truck is too similar to the Grave Digger my son has, and the Bog Hog is interesting, but not sure if it would look good as a monster truck.

Of the Pro-Line bodies, I was looking at the 2008 Ford F-250, 1/8 '56 Ford F-100, 1/8 GMC TopKick, and maybe the Apocalypse. Problem is... I have no clue if any of those would fit.
That's my sentiment about JConcepts - they make OK bodies. Their MT wheels and tires, on the other hand, are the best IMO.

Are you on the book of Faces? If so join SAMM (Solid Axle Monster Mayhem or something like that) and Showdown monster truck groups. They are much more active than any monster truck forum and you can ask guys and you'll get lots of photos as well. The owner of JConcepts is even very active on those groups should you have a JConcepts related question.

At the end of the day most bodies will fit monster trucks, but they might look silly or have other issues. Some wide bodies will get hit by the tires if you run the larger JConcepts, Proline or Tamiya 2.6" sized monsters. And the shape of the cage and its location presents another issue especially with pickup bodies. For some reason the cab of the truck body often doesn't line up with the driver's compartment of the cage. And then there's the issue of wheelbase. I don't care if the wheel wells on a body match up perfectly with the chassis, but I want them to be close. Other guys are sticklers.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The Proline power wagon body will work if you're feeling ambitious. It took a lot of cutting to get it down over the cage, and I also had to move the rear body mounts. The only downside is the top of the cage is about an inch too low so the driver can't see over the hood . I dug the look though. I sold it recently so I have some pictures handy:

Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I would love to run the new Proline '78 Chevy C-10 body but I think it is way too wide ... I'll probably buy one anyway because there's something about that body I really dig and I can always run it on my Slash 4x4
Chris-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The Proline power wagon body will work if you're feeling ambitious. It took a lot of cutting to get it down over the cage, and I also had to move the rear body mounts. The only downside is the top of the cage is about an inch too low so the driver can't see over the hood . I dug the look though. I sold it recently so I have some pictures handy:

Alright, that looks the most interesting so far. Didn't think it would work at all. I may try this body if it's possible to perfect that cage area.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

Quote:

That's what you call bad ass!
Old 08-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

the proline bodies for the the yeti and TT fit well, I have the raptor yeti body on my SMT10
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Any body fits, but only a dodge body looks good!
sawback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:07 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm having the hardest time figuring out what bodies would fit.

I'd apprecicate some ideas.

Was looking at the Pro-Line Topkick, but it looks to be too big for the SMT10 chassis.
I have the larger of the two Proline TopKick bodies, sitting unpainted and uncut on a shelf.

Was going to use it on a Bomber-compatible rail-type chassis, still might as an alternate.

Any questions you might have about measurements, just ask!

(Got a set of calipers)

... But that Dodge is stunning!
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Alright, that looks the most interesting so far. Didn't think it would work at all. I may try this body if it's possible to perfect that cage area.
It's a trade-off because if you lower the body to get the cage to line up better, it would lose some of the jacked-up monster truck look and also the tires could collide with the fenders.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

That looks really good.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I have the larger of the two Proline TopKick bodies, sitting unpainted and uncut on a shelf.

Was going to use it on a Bomber-compatible rail-type chassis, still might as an alternate.

Any questions you might have about measurements, just ask!

(Got a set of calipers)

... But that Dodge is stunning!
Yeah, the Topkick would've been nice, since it's less common.

Quote:
It's a trade-off because if you lower the body to get the cage to line up better, it would lose some of the jacked-up monster truck look and also the tires could collide with the fenders.
Thanks for the insight. I may still try it out. Still checking out options as far as bodies go.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I will build my SMT10 to look like a Tamiya Blackfoot, like a tribute truck. Anyone know of a good Ford pickup body that would work well?

Thanks,
MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

SMT10 Body... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMT10 body reference guide XSRCdesign Mega/Monster Trucks 37 10-12-2020 11:14 PM
Smt10 brake help bosco72 Mega/Monster Trucks 6 02-14-2018 09:04 PM
Body Sizes for SMT10 rad_rob Mega/Monster Trucks 1 01-06-2017 03:08 PM
cboggs' SMT10 cboggs Mega/Monster Trucks 8 08-22-2016 06:25 AM