Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Body Wraps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

Default Body Wraps

Im trying to spice up my SMT10 mud truck with a new body. But i want to maybe do something a little more flashy than a standard 1-2 or 3 color, straight lined paint job. Anyone have some info on body wraps for something other than a race body. Ive got a 2014 Proline Chevy Silverado body. All I can find wraps for are 1/10 buggy/truck and short course trucks.

Any info or input is greatly appreciated..
Thanks
TwoFastRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

Default Re: Body Wraps

Justin is known for wraps on the Book of Faces: https://www.facebook.com/FatCatCustomz/

There are others out there, but I can't think of any names at the moment.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
RCC Addict

You might consider giving "hydro-dipping" a try. You can buy smaller pieces of the water transfer film on ebay & the like for about the same cost as a couple cans of lexan paint. I have yet to try it myself, but it seems like a good option to cover up crappy rtr paint schemes since it,like a vinyl wrap, goes on the outside.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Ill look up Justin on FB.. (Hate that web site) At least see what hes got..

I never thought of hydro dipping?.?.??.. Wonder how durable that would be on a lexan body.. Is that stuff flexible?
Old 11-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #6

Holy Snopes Bat Man.. Thanks for being my internet.. Guess i better brush up on my searching abilities.. lol.. Seams like that should almost be a sticky somewhere??
Old 11-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Dip painting is popular in the firearms industry. Now I'm wondering if cerakote would work on the inside of lexan.

Google 'dip painting' or 'hydro painting' images...

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #8

thats interesting. Wonder what kind of weight and thickness dip painting would add? might be helpful for scale pulling truck..
Old 11-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I just might be on to something here...
If cerakote sticks to lexan it comes in a bazillion perfect colors for scale stuff.
https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/

The problem with vinyl wrap material is it shreds when you roll your rig. No Bueno...

Last edited by Browneye; 11-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
RCC Addict

This kid thinks it will stick to plastic...he's working with polyethelene or nyon, which is way harder to stick paint to than lexan. Especially if you prep proper - degrease, scuff some with a scotchguard pad. I don't have access to a bead-blaster...we used to use one when restoring vintage cars.

I may give it a shot on some test plastic.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I've dipped the inside of a lexan body before. I sprayed on a coat of Tamiya's flat clear polycarbonate paint on the inside of the body first, so the dip was adhering to that instead of bare lexan. This was the type of dipping with spray paint floating on water, not the film type. I never had any chip off, but on the other hand I never had any really hard impacts with that body either. Anyway, it looked good! You'll want to practice it a few times before you try it on anything important.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Cerakote is $35 for a 4oz 'tester'. Ouch.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #13

I think Cerakote may present a few problems. When spraying it on to aluminum, you need to sandblast the aluminum in order to give it enough adhesion. Something tells me that lexan will be way too slick.

I also don't know how flexible Cerakote is. It's designed to be sprayed onto rigid materials, like headers & firearms. I know some guys spray it on plastic firearm parts, but those are still pretty rigid compared to a lexan body.

Also, if you do go the Cerakote route, make sure you get the right stuff. Their normal stuff needs to be oven cured.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I think Cerakote may present a few problems. When spraying it on to aluminum, you need to sandblast the aluminum in order to give it enough adhesion. Something tells me that lexan will be way too slick.

I also don't know how flexible Cerakote is. It's designed to be sprayed onto rigid materials, like headers & firearms. I know some guys spray it on plastic firearm parts, but those are still pretty rigid compared to a lexan body.

Also, if you do go the Cerakote route, make sure you get the right stuff. Their normal stuff needs to be oven cured.

Ya, I gave up - $35/4oz is a non-starter for a toy car.

Flexibility isn't so much a factor if the finish is thin enough. I don't have any issues with the acrylic enamel paint I've used, and without an flex agent or adhesion promotor, like Bulldog or equal. Prep and shoot.

I still prefer a regular polycarbonate paint - it's almost like a dye. I just wish Tamiya would come out with a few more colors, especially for earth tones and military colors. The candies and brights are fine and good for most RC, just not so much for scale-look stuff.

And yes, Cerakote has a high and low heat version, as well as an air-dry one.

Body Wraps - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraps XDR Axial Wraith 4 09-09-2011 07:58 PM
Anus wraps??? braceysdad Chit Chat 26 03-26-2011 04:37 PM
Body Wraps? C_Money Paint and Body 3 01-14-2010 06:42 AM
I NEED masks and wraps..Who can Help? downtown Paint and Body 3 07-19-2009 10:24 AM