Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: BoingRC's SMT10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default BoingRC's SMT10

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd try my hand at a Build Thread on here. So I'd been debating taking a shot at the Monster Truck Racing they have at AxialFest. Sadly, my AX10 Monster Truck is not up to the challenge. So I decided to pick up an SMT10. Sadly the only one still available is Grave Digger. Don't get me wrong, I (in my mid-thirties) grew up with Grave Digger. However, just about all of my RC's have the same "white with 3 blue stripes" paint-job (and this SMT10 will be no different). So I didn't want the bright green chassis that Grave Digger comes with. So after a little searching around ebay, I found a Discontinued... New-In-Box... UN-opened...

Like I do with all my RC's, first day I get it home I start tearing it down, modding things, starting a shopping list, etc.

Wasn't a fan of the Orange wheels. I don't intend on using these anyways. Already planning on picking up the Jconcepts tribute wheels and tires to give it that proper Monster Truck look. In the meantime, why not have some fun with these. I had some Matte Black paint so I decided go to town.

I must say, I think the Black Wheels make this thing look MEAN just the way it is...

Well I already plan on upgrading this thing to Brushless, so I figured I should start beefing up the Drive-Line (Transmission, Drive-Shafts, etc.). Luckily I held on to a set of Wraith Drive-Shafts that didn't fit on a different build I did. However, they fit perfect on here.

So that's it for now. I'll keep ya guys posted as parts start coming in. Plus, I'll let ya know how I end up doing at the AxialFest 2019 Monster Truck Racing once that comes around. I can't wait.
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: BoingRC's SMT10

I like the look of it with the black wheels. I hope they bring this truck back to production someday.
FordSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordSpeed View Post
I like the look of it with the black wheels. I hope they bring this truck back to production someday.
Thanks, they're just for fun until I get the wheels and tires I want.
I hope they do too. Or at least a different Monster Jam Truck with a BLACK chassis. I know you can just Dye the chassis plastic Black using Rit clothing dye. But that requires quite a bit of disassembling, effort, time, ect.

*Axial... You're Awesome... but Green is not everyone's color* Hahaha
Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #4

Bringing this back with a more durable running gear, black plastics, and a generic truck body would be a winning combination.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing View Post
Thanks, they're just for fun until I get the wheels and tires I want.
I hope they do too. Or at least a different Monster Jam Truck with a BLACK chassis. I know you can just Dye the chassis plastic Black using Rit clothing dye. But that requires quite a bit of disassembling, effort, time, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Bringing this back with a more durable running gear, black plastics, and a generic truck body would be a winning combination.

The green is for Grave Digger not Axial or anything else. I usually hate green, but I love the color of the Axial Grave Digger chassis. I love the real Grave Digger though so maybe that's why. And this green chassis can be successfully dyed black with Rit if you choose to do so. A chassis molded in black can't be dyed any other color.

I also have the chassis from the Max D which is black. It does look good in a different way and I eventually plan to build it up.

I do agree that the AR60 driveline is absolutely atrocious. You legitimately have to throw the price of the truck ($330) into upgrades just to get it to be fast enough to be fun and still somewhat durable.

Feld, the owners of Monster Jam, changed their licensing agreements so I'm not sure if that's the only reason that the SMT10 was killed off, but I wouldn't be shocked if it never makes a comeback. It didn't seem that popular, sadly.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The green is for Grave Digger not Axial or anything else.
Yeah, I figured as much. That last bit where I said...
Quote:
...was my way of saying "Axial, you should make a different colored Monster Truck"

Quote:
And this green chassis can be successfully dyed black with Rit if you choose to do so.
That I'll answer with my quote you posted...
Quote:
I know you can just Dye the chassis plastic Black using Rit clothing dye. But that requires quite a bit of disassembling, effort, time, ect.

Quote:
I do agree that the AR60 driveline is absolutely atrocious. You legitimately have to throw the price of the truck ($330) into upgrades just to get it to be fast enough to be fun and still somewhat durable.
Yeah, So far the shopping list I've compiled is around $200. It would probably be more if I didn't already have some spare parts. (found some more, updates to come)

Quote:
Feld, the owners of Monster Jam, changed their licensing agreements so I'm not sure if that's the only reason that the SMT10 was killed off, but I wouldn't be shocked if it never makes a comeback. It didn't seem that popular, sadly.
You're probably right with the licensing. Money always has a way of getting in the way of things. Either way, the SMT10 platform (I would think) is all Axial. They could just make it black and like Jim85IROC said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
...and a generic truck body would be a winning combination.
Besides, the SMT10 was just gaining traction in popularity. Just scroll down the Mega/Monster Trucks Thread on these very Forums. There are a lot of SMT10 Builds going on. You yourself said you have one. Plus, with AxialFest now doing Monster Truck Racing and having a Monster Truck Class in the Show & Shine comp... I'm not worried about it disappering completely from Axial's roster. Maybe it just wont be "Monster Jam" related anymore.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Plus, with AxialFest now doing Monster Truck Racing and having a Monster Truck Class in the Show & Shine comp... I'm not worried about it disappering completely from Axial's roster. Maybe it just wont be "Monster Jam" related anymore.
Plus Jconcepts keeps cranking out cool new monster truck tires and bodies, and there's a series of posts on BigSquid about monster trucks that keeps updating. It's enough to make me hopeful that Axial might see a reason to keep the platform going in some way. I've got my fingers crossed REALLY HARD for an upgraded kit version, but even an unbranded RTR with a black chassis would be nice. I sold my SMT10, but threads like these remind me of how cool they are. Would do another.

EDIT - Back on topic of your build, unless you plan to upgrade/replace the whole transmission, be sure to put some loctite on the screws the hold the transmission outdrives together on the bottom gear. They seem to back out almost immediately for most people and make a mess of things.

Last edited by TooOldForThis; 02-22-2019 at 07:48 AM.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Plus Jconcepts keeps cranking out cool new monster truck tires and bodies, and there's a series of posts on BigSquid about monster trucks that keeps updating. It's enough to make me hopeful that Axial might see a reason to keep the platform going in some way. I've got my fingers crossed REALLY HARD for an upgraded kit version, but even an unbranded RTR with a black chassis would be nice. I sold my SMT10, but threads like these remind me of how cool they are. Would do another.

EDIT - Back on topic of your build, unless you plan to upgrade/replace the whole transmission, be sure to put some loctite on the screws the hold the transmission outdrives together on the bottom gear. They seem to back out almost immediately for most people and make a mess of things.
Totoally agree and already way ahead of ya...
Quote:
Already planning on picking up the Jconcepts tribute wheels and tires to give it that proper Monster Truck look.
As for the Transmission's main gear and output shafts... already got ya covered. Some of the parts I found in my spares...

New PowerHD 20kg metal gear "waterproof" servo and...
GPM Complete Steel Gear set. The main gear and output shafts are one solid piece of steel, so no screws to worry about.

I've used the these gears (and servo) on a few of my other builds and they've been great. Hence I bought spares. Hahaha
Old 08-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Just a quick update...

I've been doing a ton of work to the SMT10. Sadly I dont have pictures at the moment. Photobucket is the worst so I'm trying to find a new image hosting website. (any suggestions?)

In the meantime...
Here is a complete list of all the parts I've added so far...

-Reedy Radon 3-slot 19T brushed motor (eventually going brushless)
-Axial 20t 32p Pinion Gear
-GPM Solid Steel Trasmission Gear set
-GPM 120mm Aluminum Threaded Shocks (8-total for dual shock setup)
-Integy Stainless Steel Wraith Driveshafts
-Boomracing Aluminum Lower Suspension Links
-Boomracing Aluminum Steering Link
-Boomracing Aluminum Steering Knuckles & C-Blocks
-Boomracing Aluminum Rear Lockouts
-JConcepts 2.6 Tribute Wheels (white)
-JConcepts 2.6 GoldYears Tires

I also got the JConcepts 1979 Ford Super-Cab Monster Truck Body, but thats still in the bag unpainted.
So I'm not counting that as done yet.
Anyways, I'll get pics up asap.

Last edited by Boing; 08-09-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Use Imgur for hosting.
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
Use Imgur for hosting.
For some reason, Imgur makes my images way too big.

Also, update to the build...
I finally switched to brushless. Reedy SC800-bl ESC with a Reedy 540can 3300kv motor.
It’s a beast now. Wheelies from a stand still launch no problem.

Last edited by Boing; 08-30-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Ok, I think I finally figured out this Imgur thing.

Finally able to post some updated photos of my SMT10.
Plus an awesome wheelie shot from testing the Reedy brushless system.

Last edited by Boing; 11-02-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Long time waiting Update...

I recently started a YouTube Channel so I can show some of my RC's in action.
"BoingRC Garage"

I actually have a video of this SMT10 hitting some jumps and doing wheelies in the backyard if you want to see how it preforms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHfwtFD2QJQ

Ohh, and Subscribe to the channel and what-not.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Posted another Video of this thing.

This time, Rippin around the Dirt in the Dusty Alley nearby. Plus hitting the jumps as well because, well, it's a Monster Truck. Hahahaha.

Check it out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAdq65VVwd0

And BASH that Subscribe button while you're there.

BoingRC's SMT10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMT10 Body... soze Mega/Monster Trucks 16 08-30-2018 10:39 PM
Smt10 brake help bosco72 Mega/Monster Trucks 6 02-14-2018 09:04 PM
Axial SMT10 Mikeybigs Newbie General 5 02-24-2017 10:35 AM