Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Jato Builds a Custom 2.2 SMT10 Monster Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

Default Jato Builds a Custom 2.2 SMT10 Monster Truck

As an adult I've developed somewhat of an addictive personality when it comes to my hobbies. I get full into something and then I get bored and move onto the next thing I get fully into.

When the SMT10 came out I was pumped. It was the first really scale monster truck released by any manufacturer as far as my memory will, well, remember! I got the Grave Digger, then I traded for a Monster Bolt and then I bought a black SMT10 chassis for an eventual build - because addictive personality.

The SMT10 chassis has been sitting on a shelf at my house for over a year. I decided to build a short wheel base SMT10 with 2.2" tires. I'm not sure about the body. The shorter wheelbase and smaller tires should give a much different driving experience. And, in theory, it should be more reliable as well because I don't have the massive and heavy 2.6" Clod Buster sized wheels and tires taxing the drive train and suspension.

The Vanquish 20% sale sucked me in and here are most of the goods. I removed the few bits that are for other vehicles.

I am building completely from scratch so this is going to be a slow and expensive build.

I got V2 OCP axle housings and diff covers, the black transmission case (although that may change - TBD), and ring and pinion gears for the axles. The plan is to put the lower the lower ratio in the rear so that, theoretically, the front tires will spin more to help a more planted launch as well as aiding in turning. Will that work in reality? Probably not much, but TBD.

Besides the Vanquish parts below, I also have white JConcepts Midwest wheels and Proline Destroyer tires. Photos of those will follow as well as the chassis.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jato Builds a Custom 2.2 SMT10 Monster Truck

You are pursuing a dream build I just recently sold a parts lot of. With the only difference being the smt10 chassis.

Try and see if the X-citer stampede body fits. it was really proportional with my 2.2 destroyers. I will pm you a picture of my old solid axle mt I built with that body for body size reference to the 2.2's.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
You are pursuing a dream build I just recently sold a parts lot of. With the only difference being the smt10 chassis.

Try and see if the X-citer stampede body fits. it was really proportional with my 2.2 destroyers. I will pm you a picture of my old solid axle mt I built with that body for body size reference to the 2.2's.
Wish I had known you had the lot of parts for sale!

Which chassis was going to be your base?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

LOL. it didn't even last a day in the classifieds.

I was going to use the AX10 deadbolt chassis.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

Sounds like a fun build. It's nice to see something a bit different on the board. Looking forward to this almost as much as the new TRX4 Sport build. Dude you're killin' it these days...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I am following this thread.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice, I need to get my SMT10 out more!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Sounds like a fun build. It's nice to see something a bit different on the board. Looking forward to this almost as much as the new TRX4 Sport build. Dude you're killin' it these days...
Thanks a ton for the kind words!

This should be a fun build. MTs are fun. I don't know why they don't get the love they used to, but they have come back a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
I am following this thread.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice, I need to get my SMT10 out more!
You should! As should I! They are really fun trucks.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

(the new like emoji)
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

The TRX-4 Sport build is sadly in limbo. It seems China is slacking with manufacturing because everybody is out of stock of the parts I want! So I started wrenching on this truck using the parts I have.

Let's start with the rear axle build. A big weak spot in the SMT10 is the AR60 axles. Once you throw power at them and install the giant, 2.6" monster truck tires you have a chance of destroying the spider gears as well as snapping the axle housing. Instead of using BeefTubes, like in my Grave Digger and MonsterBolt, I've decided to go with the Vanquish V2 OCP (AR60) axles that I got on sale. These are my first Vanquish axles. Actually, no, that's not true. The Rock Rey axle was my first Vanquish axle.

Mmm parts!

Schtep 1: Open ze ax-el bag.

Pretty standard fare here. Put some grease on the ring and pinion gears. This time around I'm using Vanquish grease. Since most every part so far is Vanquish I might as well use their grease as well! But in reality I do like their grease. After that you install the bearings in the axle and in the diff retainers, slide it all in and then use four (4) 3mm screws to, well, retain the retainers.

Here we have abstract grease artwork. The Vanquish schtuff is schticky...stick sweet from my head to my feet for the Def Leppard fans among us.

The diff cover is installed with four overly long screws. They are 10mm which I think is crazy. But the cover sure isn't going anywhere!

It looks stealth and bad ass!

But wait, there's more to an axle. So...more parts!

You can see that Vanquish sticky icky at the top right.

Axles and lockouts with hidden bearings. The bearings are only hidden because you can't see them.

And the rear axle is mostly complete. I don't have the link/shock mounts yet because I'm not sure which links or shocks I'm using nor do I know if I'm going to mount them no the links or on the axles (scale). I'm leaning towards scale if it works with the short wheelbase.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post

(the new like emoji)

I can dig it! (seemed fitting with that emoji)
Old 04-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

It’s gonna rip!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Lookin good so far jato. Gettin the body painted for mine as im typin this

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

It’s gonna rip!

Hang up and Drive
Nice pun!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Lookin good so far jato. Gettin the body painted for mine as im typin this
Thank you!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I am building completely from scratch so this is going to be a slow and expensive build.
So realistically, how much do you think this will cost when you're done? If you'd rather not say, feel free to tell me to go pound sand.

I tend to be really cheap in most areas of life and usually shoot for decent quality but at the lowest possible price, which can be a rewarding challenge but it's also a compromise. I've never done a "best of everything" build like this, but I imagine going all-in could feel rewarding in a different way. Do you generally plan to keep the pricey ones for a long time?
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #16
Go Buckeyes!

This looks like it is going to be an awesome build Jato! Excited to see how it turns out.

Subscribed and Liked!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
So realistically, how much do you think this will cost when you're done? If you'd rather not say, feel free to tell me to go pound sand.

I tend to be really cheap in most areas of life and usually shoot for decent quality but at the lowest possible price, which can be a rewarding challenge but it's also a compromise. I've never done a "best of everything" build like this, but I imagine going all-in could feel rewarding in a different way. Do you generally plan to keep the pricey ones for a long time?
No, I don't mind telling you if I know.

I just looked at my receipt during the VP 20% off sale and for the diff covers, ring and pinion gears, transmission housing (that may not get used in this build), and V2 axle housings and you're looking at about $250. I say about because I bought other items on that order that aren't for this build. Then there was an order from RPP for the screw kit, bearing kit and some other stuff and that's another $185. There are other parts that I already had at home (VP Stage 1 kit, trusses, bass knuckle bushings, etc) that probably total over $150. Add about another $100 for the wheels and tires. The SMT10 chassis, which I already have at home, was about $100. So just say I'm at about $800 right now. That's insane! I hadn't even realized I spent that much already! It hurts less when you buy in stages and don't think about it. This is going to be a super expensive build for me. It's surely my most expensive build to date unless you count my 1/5th scale HPI Baja, but that was a much more expensive RC to start even before I added parts.

Except for electronics, I have already purchased the most expensive parts for this build so that's the good news. And I could easily go budget electronics in this build, but I'm not sure how I'll proceed with those. If I'm going for the best I might as well do that for electronics as well. We'll see how I feel.

I used to only use budget parts and I bashed name brand stuff, especially Vanquish, for being overpriced. I've learned over the years that sometimes RC brand names are worth it. I'm still not opposed to budget parts. Cheap, but good parts are always great.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Great reply. With electronics you will have a solid rig. You can’t beat quality over price in this hobby, as you have learned. I can’t wait to see the rig.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post

Oh I wanted to respond to your last part as well and forgot.

I tend to keep my RCs. I've sold less than a handful over the years and those are the ones I really don't enjoy (Traxxas 1/16 Slash) or don't use anymore (micros and Jato 3.3 which is ironically what reignited (Ha! Unintentionally nitro pun) my 1/10th RC love and the basis for my username)). The more you spend on a build the more you're probably going to eat in the end if you choose to sell it.

I don't know that spending more will give me any more joy. The less I spend the more I feel like I can beat on them and worry less. I'm not going to want to scratch the anodizing off of these pretty, black, aluminum axles. It'll mostly get run in the grass so that shouldn't be too much of an issue, but the first scratch is going to hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
This looks like it is going to be an awesome build Jato! Excited to see how it turns out.

Subscribed and Liked!
Thank you and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Great reply. With electronics you will have a solid rig. You can’t beat quality over price in this hobby, as you have learned. I can’t wait to see the rig.

Hang up and Drive
Thanks, Mike!
Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #20

What do you do after building the rear axle? Well you would normally start building the front axle, but I realized I put the standard gears in the rear which leaves the underdrive gears for the front axle. Uh, no, that's not right. Duh! You freaking idiot! So I disassembled the rear axle to remove the 38/13 gears and install the 43/13 gears.

Now, we can move onto the front axle with the gears pre-lubed since they were already installed in the rear axle. But this photo was taken before I noticed the flub, so you will notice the incorrect 43/13 gears are shown in this photo even though they don't belong here.

Because I suck and I'm forgetful I forgot to take many photos.

Step one was inserting the pre-lubed ring and pinion into the front axle housing.

I thought I forgot to order the brass bushings for the steering knuckles, but luckily I had some NOS (New Old Stock) at home. That's how you know you have too much RC stuff!

The front axle assembly went easily until I tried installing the bearing on the Axial universals. The one race wasn't machined properly or the coating is too thick. I scraped some off, but no matter what I tried I couldn't press it on by hand. So I stacked some bearings and used a washer so I could use the screw to seat the bearing. Note, this side load is terrible for ball bearings so don't do what I did.

And here's the front axle assembly. Again, the link/shock mounts are missing.

Red and black look great together (one of my favorite color combos), but I wish VP had made these black in this case.

Tags
2.2, axial, monster truck, smt10, vanquish

Jato Builds a Custom 2.2 SMT10 Monster Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allanon1965 builds a Monster Truck! allanon1965 Mega/Monster Trucks 27 02-19-2018 09:05 AM
Axials SMT10 Grave Digger Monster Truck RTR 1.55Yota Mega/Monster Trucks 36 01-14-2018 09:25 AM
Custom Monster Truck Attempt 1 Cagedfury Mega/Monster Trucks 5 05-11-2016 07:33 AM