Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Indybama's monster build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Indybama's monster build

Hey yall, sorry its been so long since last update. Had to order some parts...

I got a set of HR 28mm 12mm hex adapters (which i for got to get a pic of BEFORE i installed them lol). Stock width i couldnt turn or rotate the suspension with the new PL brawler wheels n destroyer tires.

The front axle stubs had to be threaded into the extensions just a lil ways to get the drive pins thru the holes. They have a grub screw that threads in on one side of the extension to retain the drive pin. I used the washers included on the wheel screw to hopefully NOT pull one thru, like the axial m/t wheels i had on it.

That was a shot i wish i coulda got on video lol. It was just like a real m/t when it loses a wheel!

Now to wait for the locktite to dry lol.

The PL brawlers come in white or gray. Really pleased with the gray, they look good with the blue body.

Im lookin to get some carbonfiber soon. Im goina make some plate to go on the AX10 chassis plates so i can relocate the upper links. By movin the upper links up just a bit, itll open my motor options up alot. More on that as i get parts ordered. Hopefully i remember to get pics of progress on the CF mod.

So for now, heres the newest pics. ENJOY! Let me know wat yall think...

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Truck looks great! It looks
W I D E! I'm sure it will handle better. What is the wheelbase on this truck BTW?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Truck looks great! It looks
W I D E! I'm sure it will handle better. What is the wheelbase on this truck BTW?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Thanks max! Im goina give her a go tomorrow. Hopefully she wont wanna roll so much. WB is 13.25 in, body wb is 12.3 in.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #64
RCC Addict

I got a short vid for yall today. Done great, still not as fast as id like though. The part at the end of the vid was from torque twist lol. Shortly after the front wheel came off, goina have to get longer wheel screws n better locktite

https://youtu.be/IN3ubfvN0Jo

Old 05-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Hey yall, been doin some moddin today. Finally got some 3mm carbon fiber in the other day, so i figured today was as good a day as any to get dirty. My first thought for cuttin the CF was the lil saw blade for the dremel. Boy was i wrong, it smoothed the teeth off it lol. So cut-off discs it was, n they made pretty short work of it. Got them all roughly cut out n used a sandin tube to fine tune the edges. After drillin 2 of the holes, i put a couple bolts thru n drilled the other 2. I didnt think about it til after i drilled them, the 2 back ones were the only ones that needed the holes for the upper links. O well, theyre there if i decide i need to do the front too.

I got them mounted up n moved the upper links. Everything looked perfect... That is until i bottomed the shocks. The pinion rolled back way to far for my liking. So i found somethin to use for spacers on the lower links, the bushing for the spur gear on the old tmaxx/nitro stampede.

Now that ive moved the upper links, ive got all kind of room for a bigger motor. Now ive gotta find a new BL motor. I wanna b able to pull wheelies but still get a bit of speed too. To bad i cant wedge a erevo motor in there lol. Any suggestions on a new motor? Im runnin a mxl-6s esc on 4s.

Heres some pics, wat yall think?

Old 05-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Well, since i was able to move the upper links in the rear, that gave me room to wedge a bigger BL motor in the chassis. So thats exactly wat i just did lol. I had a Tacon 3660 2600kv layin on the shelf n it fits almost perfect. It only has 4 mountin holes, so either way i mounted it the wires were goina b a bit of a squeeze. But theyre in there n doesnt look like im goina have any issuses. Now to wait for the locktite to dry n for these storms to pass by. May have to wait til monday to give her a rip. Im hopin this motor is closer to wat im lookin for power wise. Ill let yall know how the test run goes.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I think that if you used the scx10 skid you would have had better luck with your links..mine is the scx10 skid with AR60 axles and trailing arms. running a roc 412 3100kv that snaps wb8hd driveshafts on command lol, switched to mip yeti driveshafts and wheelies anytime i want...the front diff is open and the rear is locked.
Attached Images

allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
I think that if you used the scx10 skid you would have had better luck with your links..mine is the scx10 skid with AR60 axles and trailing arms. running a roc 412 3100kv that snaps wb8hd driveshafts on command lol, switched to mip yeti driveshafts and wheelies anytime i want...the front diff is open and the rear is locked.
U solved the issue i had before it was an issue for u lol. Your upper links are mounted up high, mine were mounted more level. Where they mounted to the chassis limited my motor size. After brainstormin with my buddy briber, we come up with the idea for the carbon fiber plates i made. They let me move my upper links higher to make room for a bigger motor. Which is a tight fit lol. The wires comin out of the motor are barely touchin the nut for the upper link now. Theyre to stiff to move them. N if i try to use the other mountin holes in the motor, it just puts the wires to the other side if the frame. Its not an issue, so im not to worried bout movin them. Cant wait til monday, goina take it to work with me n ger her a rip with the new motor

Old 05-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #69
RCC Addict

I charged up some batts for tomorrow, goina take the m/t n give her a rip after work. I got curious n tryed it out in the livin room lol. Definantly needs sway bars! Waaaaaay to much torque twist. I got it in the kitchen n goosed it a bit n she slung around n never batted n eye. I think ive found the right motor. We'll find out tomorrow. Ill get a vid of it

Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Ok yall, its been awhile so heres a update.

Had to get new knuckles for the m/t. The stock ones broke at the screws at the steering arm. Got a set of blue VP knucks, sorry didnt get pics before i put wheels on.

Also got a set of HR sway bars. Helped tremendously! Very little torque twist now, which put all the pressure elsewhere... the driveshafts smh. So looks like its time to upgrade the wb8 driveshafts. Any suggestions?

Also think i may need to swap pinions. I checked motor temp n it was right at 180° Should i go up or down? 16t pinion 54t spur 32p

And i managed to strip the powerhd servo lol. Think it went wen the bush jumped out in front of me lol. Needs a lil more torque for these big ol tires anyway. Suggestions on that? High torque for a decent price...

Old 07-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Dang its been a bit since i posted up here lol. Well, i had a heat issue not long ago. It was gettin hot n shuttin the esc down, runnin 17/54 gears. So i dropped to a 14t pinion.

Took it with me tues to work n ill b danged if it wouldnt power on smh. Got lucky, the wire from one plug to the other had a break in it, easy fix. So i took it with me today n it was bein finicky to come on, but i got it powered up. Didnt get 2 min into runnin it n blew the front pinion bearings to bits. Cant win for losin lol. Looks like im orderin a new set of bearings for front n rear both.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Got the bearings replaced in the front axle. It granaded both pinion bearings in the front. Took me a bit to get the outter race out of the housing. Had a few bbs in the housing n some shavings, but nothin to major. R&p looked good, no nicks or missin teeth.

Took it with me again today n it dun great. It wont wheelie like before, but man it launches great. I did manage to get it to stand up on its nose goin backwards one time lol. It donuts in the gravel without even touchin the steering. Was havin a blast runnin it, guys from work were lovin it. Then it happened, somethin else went wrong, never fails... Stripped the servo AGAIN. Sadly, i dont have another one to replace it at the moment, so back to shelf queen it is. Ive been runnin those powerHD 20kg servos n they seem to do a good job. I think these big ol destroyer tires are destroyin my servos lol.

Any suggestion on a good one for these big monsters of tires? Ive got the PL big hit servo saver on it

Old 11-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Holy crap, its been a minute huh lol.

Well, got the monster truck out today n was goina give it a rip. Been awhile since ive had it out. Got to watchin it n it kept pullin to the right every time id throttle. Not gettin in it hard, just enuf to squat the rear a lil. Went to checkin things out n 2 of the hexes have turned in the wheel. Not enuf to strip it, but the points of the hex are at the flats of the wheels hex. Ive done everything i can think of to get these wheels right. They were either to close or the hardware wasnt long enuf to go thru the wheel n catch enuf threads. Finally found a setup that works great to mount them n now its startin to try n strip the hexes out.

So heres wat ive come up with... Its either goina become a shelf queen or im goina strip it down n build a wroncho out of it.

Wat do yall think? Shelf queen or wroncho it?

After findin that the hexes were tryin to strip, it was time to bring out the other big fun basher... My BNB (black n blue) e-revo. Took her for a rip, love this truck!

Old 11-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #74

Impressive build.
onixpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onixpath View Post
Impressive build.
Thank u onix! I love it, but i keep havin issues at the wheels. So im to the point its either shelf queen or wroncho it.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Im still on the fence of shelf queen or wroncho. The more i think of how cool a wroncho build would be, the more i think bout how much id miss the m/t lol. But if i leave it a m/t, its just goina b for looks cause of the wheel issues. If i convert it to a wroncho, atleast itd get used... Decisions decisions lol

Old 01-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #77

Just got done reading all about your build as a nice relaxing evening read lol. Honestly think your wheely issues might be due to how long your wheel base is, I bet you'd notice a huge difference if those links were 1/2" shorter front and rear. Seams to me there should be a way to do 17mm hex's on those axles, but in all honesty, as cool as the build is, it's just too much power/weight/ rotating mass. I use to go to mud bogs all the time. Sure everyone would cheer the 900hp monster mud trucks with military axles, but after 100 yards, there would always be something that would break. Now I liked the little S-10, or Tacoma with 33" tires, right to the floor screaming, for 3 hrs without a failure lol. I love MT RCs, but honestly, went with a CPE modded clodbuster. 2 motors to share the workload, huge gearing, and no torque twist. Still, great build, and that's half the fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Holy crap, its been almost 3 yrs since i posted here. I ended up tearing this truck down, it kept spinnin the hexes in the wheels. Thankfully it didnt ruin the wheel hexes. Ive thought about this build a bit lately n wanted to revisit it.

So as yall probably know, horizon had a big spring sale this week. Well i broke n picked up a smt kit for $100, wat a deal! My plan is to recreate this old truck, with some better ideas. I won a set of ar60 beef tubes in the raffle at scale nats 2 weeks ago. The question is, do i run the stock plastic housings n grab another set of beef tubes? Or do i pick up another set of aluminum housings like i had before? Definantly wanna get another HR big hit servo saver like i had before. Another thing to take into consideration is the chassis. I want the old school m/t look again, so im thinkin use the scx chassis with the ax tvp setup. Or should i use the cage n just cut the rear angled tubes off?

Then we're on to electronics... Ive got a CC mmx n i think i may still have the traxxas mxl6 esc yet. Ive got a few BL motors layin around i could try as well.

Any n all suggestions are welcome fellas. Thanks for checkin this thread out again, ill post pics up later on
Old 04-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Heres a few pics for now

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2022, 09:27 PM   #80
RCC Addict

I got my cheap SMT kit yesterday. I say kept the SMT chassis and modify as needed, no need to go back to SCX and AX TVPs unless you want RC nostalgia.

I’m debating Fling King Jrs on the stock wheels or going with the 2.6” monster truck wheels and tires.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Indybama's monster build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Bolt Build kmnss Mega/Monster Trucks 6 02-08-2017 12:40 PM
looking to build a monster truck vigilant Kyosho Crawlers 10 04-09-2012 03:45 PM
Monster GT Build up Flagbmx Traxxas Crawlers 0 02-08-2009 12:37 PM