RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Mega/Monster Trucks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/mega-monster-trucks/)
-   -   Smt10 discontinued (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/mega-monster-trucks/607201-smt10-discontinued.html)

LSXGMC 09-28-2019 04:26 PM

Re: Smt10 discontinued

I added 4 wheel steering to mine (dog bones and all), shortened the wheelbase, and put in the cheapest brushless system I could find. It’s shitty, the suspension is horrible, torque twist for days, inconsistent power, weak steering, and I absolutely love every minute of it. Looks and feels like a real one, hard to control, and is just awesome. My favourite RC right now and I have very little money into it.

Jay-Em 09-29-2019 10:11 PM

Everybody goes on about ‘new axles’ as the biggest wish.. well.. I wrecked the gears, and especially the idlers, waaaáy before the axles. And that only with a 4-pole 3000kv @ 2s, so, no ‘mad power’ or anything. The axles are fine, but the gears in the gearbox are plastic rubbish. Change those for metal ( as most SMT10 owners already did) and the SMT10 will at least stand a 27t 540 @3s, instead of already stripping if you as much as lóok at it the wrong way. :razz:

I always wondered why Axial thought it a good thing to give a monstertruck gears made from butter....

So, yeah, here’s hoping for a builders’ kit with, at the least, all metal gears.

FormallySkullking 09-30-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-Em (Post 5966181)
Everybody goes on about ‘new axles’ as the biggest wish.. well.. I wrecked the gears, and especially the idlers, waaaáy before the axles. And that only with a 4-pole 3000kv @ 2s, so, no ‘mad power’ or anything. The axles are fine, but the gears in the gearbox are plastic rubbish. Change those for metal ( as most SMT10 owners already did) and the SMT10 will at least stand a 27t 540 @3s, instead of already stripping if you as much as lóok at it the wrong way. :razz:

I always wondered why Axial thought it a good thing to give a monstertruck gears made from butter....

So, yeah, here’s hoping for a builders’ kit with, at the least, all metal gears.

Metal gears are nothing new, and a no brainer. Thats with any rig. If you race and compete you will break the axles. We are asking for scale innovation from Axial with the Smt10 2.0. Which is not much to ask.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TooOldForThis 10-02-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FormallySkullking (Post 5966213)
Which is not much to ask.

I dunno, this is Axial we're talking about here :lmao:

I don't expect them to get it completely "right", especially considering none of us can come close to agreeing on what the re-release needs to have. Personally I'm just hoping for a builder's kit version, so that way I'm not paying for licensing and I can just upgrade whatever needs upgrading right from the start.

On the other hand, the CEN monster trucks are looking like a pretty nice alternative if a new SMT10 never happens. I especially like the scale appeal of the chassis-mounted servo, which the new SMT10 almost certainly won't have. They're just a little on the small size...

odomandr 10-02-2019 09:45 AM

I think the licensing for monster trucks is totally justified when you get a details that the smt10 came with. Spikes, decal sheet and panels, body, etc

JatoTheRipper 10-02-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odomandr (Post 5966772)
I think the licensing for monster trucks is totally justified when you get a details that the smt10 came with. Spikes, decal sheet and panels, body, etc

Agreed. Especially when it came to the Grave Digger than turned out so awesome.

kennebell50 10-03-2019 06:27 PM

Well my new in the box MAX D has arrived and now I am thinking I would rather have a Mad Crusher VE so I might sell this thing.

TooOldForThis 10-04-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odomandr (Post 5966772)

True, but for those that want to build their own unique monster truck (or mud truck), it doesn't add value. I suppose Monster Jam fans will always far outnumber the odd hobbyist who wants to make his own monster truck, so the licensed RTR makes more sense from a business perspective. ...But if I keep posting about it, maybe Axial will misjudge the kit market in my favor. :mrgreen:

Jay-Em 10-10-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooOldForThis (Post 5967347)
True, but for those that want to build their own unique monster truck (or mud truck), it doesn't add value. I suppose Monster Jam fans will always far outnumber the odd hobbyist who wants to make his own monster truck, so the licensed RTR makes more sense from a business perspective. ...But if I keep posting about it, maybe Axial will misjudge the kit market in my favor. :mrgreen:

Ah, well, one solace: Tamiya left licencing for what it was with the Clod and the TXT2, and it didn’t exactly hurt them, especially the Clod still sells well, despite it being an almost ancient design with fantasy bodies.

If Axial wants its new SMT10 to go up against the Traxxas releases ( despite the completely different chassis’ ) to get the kids to snap them up.. well.. yeah. Thèn a licence is maybe a good investment for a rtr-line. As a builders’ kit? Not so much, indeed, imho.

If Axial gets its act together afa monstertrucks go they -imho- should ditch fancy licencing. Just put the -not used- licencing money into making it big, bold and brutish with at the least all gearbox innards in steel. CEN got that one quite right. But, yeah, it’s a tad on the small side.

kennebell50 10-15-2019 07:37 PM

For anyone interested I've got a brand new SMT10 up for grabs. PM me.

fr8cture 10-20-2019 05:36 PM

Biggest issue with the axles is the spider gears. They need machined steel versions of them. Which I'm guessing will be coming with the new smt10 coming in the next month or so.

Youngblood00 10-20-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 5971628)
Biggest issue with the axles is the spider gears. They need machined steel versions of them. Which I'm guessing will be coming with the new smt10 coming in the next month or so.

New one? Is there any info about that?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

fr8cture 10-20-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngblood00 (Post 5971630)
New one? Is there any info about that?

Only that Greg Sopa of Horizon told me before the end of the year.

Youngblood00 10-20-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 5971640)

Interesting good too know

LimPSHoT 10-23-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 5971640)

Did he mention if it will be in kit for rtr form?

fr8cture 10-23-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimPSHoT (Post 5972474)
Did he mention if it will be in kit for rtr form?

Didn't give me details. I would guess rtr with hopefully some updates.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

sawback 11-05-2019 04:00 PM

Too be honest I bought two of the smt-10 when they first came out as a gift for my nephews, They where a bad deal from day one.

Both broke the idler gear after a few charges of the basic nimh battires, No big deal really on the trans gears, replaced with full metal ones only $50 each. Then one went haywire one day and broke the front of the plastic frame. Then the steering caved on both shortly after. Without the servo saver (witch was never in stock at the LHS) they broke at least 10 servos together. The wheels looked like and drove like crap very tippy so 200 later (for each) they had a better look but broke just about every remaining part. The esc only lasted a few weeks on 2's then one of the two got a full brushless system finaly some power "weee", that was it for that one it totally ripped itself apart at the links and shocks. As for the other the esc when haywire again on 2's blowing the diff spiders. After countless hours and dollars wasted I boxed them up and traded them as fast as I could, that was the last time I ever wanted hear Axial next to the words monster truck.

I had a feeling from the first time I took it out of the box's that they would end up in the junk bin, but gave em a fighting chance, they lasted longer than I thought really. But for 499 each plus another 300 "each" it was a total flop, not even my young nephews wanted to use them after a while as they just broke too often and where otherwise slow.

My mad force form 2004 looks like hell, but is still around. Every now and again I break it out and the old os engine still works I cant believe it having used it summer and winter's, I can remember every part I broke not many maybe 5 total, most I have spars for that never broke again!

My mod clod was ok once all the buggs where worked out but there never was a solution for the brittle axle housing other than $$ hot racing units, Still a lot more fun and durable than the smt though, Even the txt1 made out of glass never left me so disappointed now shelfed and with too many discontinued parts sadly.

Even if axial came out with just a roller with the same chassis and clod tires for half price, id take a hard pass

Jay-Em 11-17-2019 05:46 AM

The SMT10 was, indeed, useless for kids, or hard bashers. They’d be happier with the Traxxas offerings, I gather. Traxxas MT’s look pants, but they, at least, can withstand the abuse kids tend to give RC’s.

I never wrecked the SMT10 like you and your nephews, though. I wonder what on earth you did to them? Mega jumps? 5000kv 4-poles? Endless spins? Willfully slamming into curbs and other hard objects ( like kids tend to do) ? Clod-sized wheels and tires? ( there’s a reason the SMT10 came with rather small wheels and tires) That would, indeed, kill them off but good. I never needed more than the steel gear innards. But, then again, I never strapped-in more than a 3000kv 4-pole on 2s. And tippy? Oh yeah. More a fault of the too stiff springs and damping, but straight-axle MT’s stay somewhat tippy, whatever you do. Comes with the territory. Independent suspension all around is the only way to prevent that. Again, better to get the Buggies-looking-like-monster-trucks that Traxxas, FTX and their kind offer. ( don’t be tempted to try the cheap China offerings, though.. compared to Feiyue, WPL, and whatever their names are, the SMT is a tank)

Oh, and NONE of the plastics Axial uses can withstand cold in any form or shape. NONE! I broke só many plastic parts on the Exo, the Wraiths, and the RTR Honcho in the cold, that it wasn’t funny. But when the temp rose above about 15C°, they flexed like cooked spaghetti, but didn’t snap. You’d almost think Axial was based in Arizona and everything only got tested in the 48C° midday sun, or something.

Boing 12-07-2019 05:33 AM

Silly Rabbit, Traxxas is for Kids.

Bring back the SMT10!!!

Screwfly 12-17-2019 09:17 AM

Axial posted yesterday a teaser on FB. Looked a lot like a SMT-10...

Jay-Em 12-18-2019 04:31 PM

Yup, indeed it does.

Let’s hope they fixed the majority of the SMT10’s flaws. Still seeing plastic links, though. Not hopeful in that aspect.
Would be seriously nice if they -at the least- gave us steel gearbox innards.

Orr.. they have now incorporated the gearbox of the Capra. I quite like the design of that.

Could also be a somewhat smaller Monstertruck, like the CEN, on the basis of the Capra, though. Would look more scale with the stock SMT10 tires, to boot.

It’s the first time in a looong time, an Axial teaser àctually piqued my intrest..

FormallySkullking 12-19-2019 05:54 AM

Pass.....and not surprised....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...eecab7799b.jpg

johnnyluv 12-19-2019 12:36 PM

Selfishly, I'm glad they didn't totally re-invent the platform, with super nice axles or something, because, if I choose to ever sell my still unbuilt SMT10 GD pre-roller, now it won't be viewed as outdated.

Jim85IROC 12-19-2019 01:12 PM

I think that the addition of metal trans gears and the more appropriate pricing will make this a popular truck. I'm personally very happy to see a kit version. I think the make/break deal for me will be whether it's got the better plastics or if it's still using that playdough crap that it used to have.

mdfjhm92 12-19-2019 01:37 PM

Looks to also have better electronics as well

BJoe 12-19-2019 08:53 PM

Hmmmmmm, may have to look at the kit some time this year!

Jay-Em 12-20-2019 03:51 PM

Alll metal gearbox innards are the saving grace here. And $200.- for the builders’ kit, isn’t too bad.
The rest? Somewhat ‘mêh’... It would probably still need milled steel gears for the axles, since using bigger, Clod-style wheels, combined with BL power, tends to strip them quite quickly for many people.

Afa the RTR goes, the addition of a big 12t 550 is rather nice. Combined with 32p metal gears, it looks like a sturdy combo. Far better than the plastic gears and anemic 540 of the first iteration. ( it looks like they gave the CEN Annihilator a good look-over and borrowed some ideas for the powerplant. Though the CEN uses a 15t 550, not a 12t. Performance between the two should be close, I’d think.)

Prolly gonna get that builders’ kit. If only for the black cage and steel gears.

Pricing of the RTR seems to be squarely aimed at competing with CEN and Traxxas. I really hope for Axial it will finally take-off well with their monster trucks. Just ditch the expensive licensing, and go wild. Wouldn’t mind a fantasy MT body in RTR Wraith-livery, or something.. Call it The Super Wraith .. ( wink to Tamiya’s Super-Clodbuster... :razz: )

All in all, the pricing and offered stock extra’s are a very good deal imho. Be it that the rest is a tad lacklustre, especially because it looks like it still uses the same plastic as before for the arms. But, then again, offering f.i. 8 x those aluminium braces for the repurposed Yeti arms, would prolly’ make the price too high.

FormallySkullking 12-20-2019 04:37 PM

The most important thing to me would be the plastics, I'm curious on the new strength. Everything else was already available

Jay-Em 12-21-2019 04:43 AM

Indeed. The plastics of the swing arms were especially floppy-bendy. Something that plagued the RTR Yeti even more. The rest of the plastics were fine for what it was. Even the drive shafts have kept-up without going all spiral-macaroni.. Then again, a 3000kv 3655 4-pole @ 2s isn’t exactly “overpowering”
I replaced the swingarms with 1€ for a meter alll thread through 3€ a meter aluminium tubes the moment I got the SMT10GD. Plenty of proper ball-ends and stuff left-over from earlier Axial kits to make that an easy and cheap switch. (by the by, I love that, the gazillion of spares and odds-and-ends in Axial kits)

Haven’t broken anything since.

LimPSHoT 12-22-2019 02:44 PM

I usually would want to go with the kit build, but i like the RTR green cage and body so i am leaning on going with the RTR.

JustinL7294 01-16-2020 07:31 AM

The moment I saw they were available for pre order and jumped right on it. Got mine in last week. Now we’re to start upgrading. Was looking at the jconcepts tribute/firestorm wheels and tires. They seem kinda too wide to be on the realistic side but everyone seems to be running that size. Speed out of the box on 2s was faster then I was expecting, especially for my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svt923 01-16-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinL7294 (Post 5991057)
The moment I saw they were available for pre order and jumped right on it. Got mine in last week. Now we’re to start upgrading. Was looking at the jconcepts tribute/firestorm wheels and tires. They seem kinda too wide to be on the realistic side but everyone seems to be running that size. Speed out of the box on 2s was faster then I was expecting, especially for my son.

The Firestorms are cool but I think they are too big for the SMT10. I have a set on another AR60 based monster truck and the size is rough on the axles and steering. The Jconcepts Rangers on the Midwest wheels are going to be the way I go for the SMT10 when my kit gets delivered.

JustinL7294 01-16-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5991060)
The Firestorms are cool but I think they are too big for the SMT10. I have a set on another AR60 based monster truck and the size is rough on the axles and steering. The Jconcepts Rangers on the Midwest wheels are going to be the way I go for the SMT10 when my kit gets delivered.

Those look great for a older type monster truck build but seem to small for a current generation. Really perfect size would be bigger then the stock size but smaller then the clod size wheels and tires. I find it odd that axial would release a builders kit with stock wheels when there is only 1 maybe 2 tires that are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormallySkullking 01-16-2020 07:23 PM

They only re released this for the quick buck. They didnt listen to any of us. A builders kit was a no brainer. I sold all mine. They need too many upgrades. No more axial for me.

mprudic0404 02-02-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-Em (Post 5984984)
Alll metal gearbox innards are the saving grace here. And $200.- for the builders’ kit, isn’t too bad.
The rest? Somewhat ‘mêh’... It would probably still need milled steel gears for the axles, since using bigger, Clod-style wheels, combined with BL power, tends to strip them quite quickly for many people.

Afa the RTR goes, the addition of a big 12t 550 is rather nice. Combined with 32p metal gears, it looks like a sturdy combo. Far better than the plastic gears and anemic 540 of the first iteration. ( it looks like they gave the CEN Annihilator a good look-over and borrowed some ideas for the powerplant. Though the CEN uses a 15t 550, not a 12t. Performance between the two should be close, I’d think.)

Prolly gonna get that builders’ kit. If only for the black cage and steel gears.

Pricing of the RTR seems to be squarely aimed at competing with CEN and Traxxas. I really hope for Axial it will finally take-off well with their monster trucks. Just ditch the expensive licensing, and go wild. Wouldn’t mind a fantasy MT body in RTR Wraith-livery, or something.. Call it The Super Wraith .. ( wink to Tamiya’s Super-Clodbuster... :razz: )

All in all, the pricing and offered stock extra’s are a very good deal imho. Be it that the rest is a tad lacklustre, especially because it looks like it still uses the same plastic as before for the arms. But, then again, offering f.i. 8 x those aluminium braces for the repurposed Yeti arms, would prolly’ make the price too high.

I have a few MARK1's, and my friend recently picked up a custom build smt10 roller with full race chassis. The one he got must have AR60's from the new molds. It has a few tiny changes compared to the orginal stock housing. (Not noticible)
Only my top chassis is stock, so can't compare to revisions, and I only noticed a few little modeling changes on AR60'S when I rebuilt my sons. It seems positive axial brought it back, even if short lived.
The fact that losi is now the big parent making changes scares me,but... (Yes I am sour over losi killing the micro T) at least losi seems to have learned from the past, because they brought back the MINI-T (and I even ordered 5 sets of steel trans gears for my mark1- yes they fit) so all in all, perhaps losi will apply changes needed to keep solid axel ALIVE. Is the stock plastic weak, yes&no, but for my 5 and 6 year old, (both run 15t brushed) it helps to bend and give for the new learners abuse.
(Why axial doesn't swith to a aluminum/composite AR60^s is beyond me. Cost wise is minumal and if done right, can make waves. (Links on the smt10 are supposed to break in efforts to save other failures.)
I broke 3 steel AR60's housings when I had full metal links. Now I'm back to stainless with M4Ends.
(Odd ball setup here -9500kv 540 motor, geared to pull stumps)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Slow Runner 02-28-2021 06:44 AM

IMO the only time brushed motors are worthwhile are in crawlers...otherwise I yank them out and put in BL. Why? I got tired of replacing brushed motors that were shot after 3 runs...then read that is considered "normal".

I put 3500 - 4000kv in the lighter trucks and I have an Onyx 3000kv in my SMT10 Gravedigger. It was OK with 2s, but pulled wheelies in 3s with stock gears, so I am happy with the setup. a 3000kv will still run cool and is efficient with 3s.

I also put in lighting, front sway bars, beef tubes, steel driveshafts, and other stuff I can't remember...lol.

The lighting works well if you hot glue the lights about an inch back from the headlight so ti projects a wider beam. Leave the red sticker on and just scrape the inside paint liner off. Also the green lighting is just the white headlights painted green with a Sharpie!

https://i.postimg.cc/hG578LF1/5-D77-...-C57-D5-AA.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/rm7xTSQw/E73-B5...-BF5-CD3-D.jpg