Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Smt10 discontinued

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Smt10 discontinued

I added 4 wheel steering to mine (dog bones and all), shortened the wheelbase, and put in the cheapest brushless system I could find. It’s shitty, the suspension is horrible, torque twist for days, inconsistent power, weak steering, and I absolutely love every minute of it. Looks and feels like a real one, hard to control, and is just awesome. My favourite RC right now and I have very little money into it.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Everybody goes on about ‘new axles’ as the biggest wish.. well.. I wrecked the gears, and especially the idlers, waaaáy before the axles. And that only with a 4-pole 3000kv @ 2s, so, no ‘mad power’ or anything. The axles are fine, but the gears in the gearbox are plastic rubbish. Change those for metal ( as most SMT10 owners already did) and the SMT10 will at least stand a 27t 540 @3s, instead of already stripping if you as much as lóok at it the wrong way.

I always wondered why Axial thought it a good thing to give a monstertruck gears made from butter....

So, yeah, here’s hoping for a builders’ kit with, at the least, all metal gears.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 09-29-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Everybody goes on about ‘new axles’ as the biggest wish.. well.. I wrecked the gears, and especially the idlers, waaaáy before the axles. And that only with a 4-pole 3000kv @ 2s, so, no ‘mad power’ or anything. The axles are fine, but the gears in the gearbox are plastic rubbish. Change those for metal ( as most SMT10 owners already did) and the SMT10 will at least stand a 27t 540 @3s, instead of already stripping if you as much as lóok at it the wrong way.

I always wondered why Axial thought it a good thing to give a monstertruck gears made from butter....

So, yeah, here’s hoping for a builders’ kit with, at the least, all metal gears.
Metal gears are nothing new, and a no brainer. Thats with any rig. If you race and compete you will break the axles. We are asking for scale innovation from Axial with the Smt10 2.0. Which is not much to ask.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
FormallySkullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormallySkullking View Post
Which is not much to ask.
I dunno, this is Axial we're talking about here

I don't expect them to get it completely "right", especially considering none of us can come close to agreeing on what the re-release needs to have. Personally I'm just hoping for a builder's kit version, so that way I'm not paying for licensing and I can just upgrade whatever needs upgrading right from the start.

On the other hand, the CEN monster trucks are looking like a pretty nice alternative if a new SMT10 never happens. I especially like the scale appeal of the chassis-mounted servo, which the new SMT10 almost certainly won't have. They're just a little on the small size...
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

I think the licensing for monster trucks is totally justified when you get a details that the smt10 came with. Spikes, decal sheet and panels, body, etc
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
I think the licensing for monster trucks is totally justified when you get a details that the smt10 came with. Spikes, decal sheet and panels, body, etc
Agreed. Especially when it came to the Grave Digger than turned out so awesome.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Well my new in the box MAX D has arrived and now I am thinking I would rather have a Mad Crusher VE so I might sell this thing.
kennebell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
True, but for those that want to build their own unique monster truck (or mud truck), it doesn't add value. I suppose Monster Jam fans will always far outnumber the odd hobbyist who wants to make his own monster truck, so the licensed RTR makes more sense from a business perspective. ...But if I keep posting about it, maybe Axial will misjudge the kit market in my favor.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
True, but for those that want to build their own unique monster truck (or mud truck), it doesn't add value. I suppose Monster Jam fans will always far outnumber the odd hobbyist who wants to make his own monster truck, so the licensed RTR makes more sense from a business perspective. ...But if I keep posting about it, maybe Axial will misjudge the kit market in my favor.
Ah, well, one solace: Tamiya left licencing for what it was with the Clod and the TXT2, and it didn’t exactly hurt them, especially the Clod still sells well, despite it being an almost ancient design with fantasy bodies.

If Axial wants its new SMT10 to go up against the Traxxas releases ( despite the completely different chassis’ ) to get the kids to snap them up.. well.. yeah. Thèn a licence is maybe a good investment for a rtr-line. As a builders’ kit? Not so much, indeed, imho.

If Axial gets its act together afa monstertrucks go they -imho- should ditch fancy licencing. Just put the -not used- licencing money into making it big, bold and brutish with at the least all gearbox innards in steel. CEN got that one quite right. But, yeah, it’s a tad on the small side.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 10-10-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

For anyone interested I've got a brand new SMT10 up for grabs. PM me.
kennebell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Biggest issue with the axles is the spider gears. They need machined steel versions of them. Which I'm guessing will be coming with the new smt10 coming in the next month or so.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Biggest issue with the axles is the spider gears. They need machined steel versions of them. Which I'm guessing will be coming with the new smt10 coming in the next month or so.
New one? Is there any info about that?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Youngblood00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood00 View Post
New one? Is there any info about that?

Only that Greg Sopa of Horizon told me before the end of the year.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #54

Quote:
Interesting good too know

Youngblood00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Did he mention if it will be in kit for rtr form?
LimPSHoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimPSHoT View Post
Did he mention if it will be in kit for rtr form?
Didn't give me details. I would guess rtr with hopefully some updates.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

Too be honest I bought two of the smt-10 when they first came out as a gift for my nephews, They where a bad deal from day one.

Both broke the idler gear after a few charges of the basic nimh battires, No big deal really on the trans gears, replaced with full metal ones only $50 each. Then one went haywire one day and broke the front of the plastic frame. Then the steering caved on both shortly after. Without the servo saver (witch was never in stock at the LHS) they broke at least 10 servos together. The wheels looked like and drove like crap very tippy so 200 later (for each) they had a better look but broke just about every remaining part. The esc only lasted a few weeks on 2's then one of the two got a full brushless system finaly some power "weee", that was it for that one it totally ripped itself apart at the links and shocks. As for the other the esc when haywire again on 2's blowing the diff spiders. After countless hours and dollars wasted I boxed them up and traded them as fast as I could, that was the last time I ever wanted hear Axial next to the words monster truck.

I had a feeling from the first time I took it out of the box's that they would end up in the junk bin, but gave em a fighting chance, they lasted longer than I thought really. But for 499 each plus another 300 "each" it was a total flop, not even my young nephews wanted to use them after a while as they just broke too often and where otherwise slow.

My mad force form 2004 looks like hell, but is still around. Every now and again I break it out and the old os engine still works I cant believe it having used it summer and winter's, I can remember every part I broke not many maybe 5 total, most I have spars for that never broke again!

My mod clod was ok once all the buggs where worked out but there never was a solution for the brittle axle housing other than $$ hot racing units, Still a lot more fun and durable than the smt though, Even the txt1 made out of glass never left me so disappointed now shelfed and with too many discontinued parts sadly.

Even if axial came out with just a roller with the same chassis and clod tires for half price, id take a hard pass

Last edited by sawback; 11-05-2019 at 04:09 PM.
sawback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

The SMT10 was, indeed, useless for kids, or hard bashers. They’d be happier with the Traxxas offerings, I gather. Traxxas MT’s look pants, but they, at least, can withstand the abuse kids tend to give RC’s.

I never wrecked the SMT10 like you and your nephews, though. I wonder what on earth you did to them? Mega jumps? 5000kv 4-poles? Endless spins? Willfully slamming into curbs and other hard objects ( like kids tend to do) ? Clod-sized wheels and tires? ( there’s a reason the SMT10 came with rather small wheels and tires) That would, indeed, kill them off but good. I never needed more than the steel gear innards. But, then again, I never strapped-in more than a 3000kv 4-pole on 2s. And tippy? Oh yeah. More a fault of the too stiff springs and damping, but straight-axle MT’s stay somewhat tippy, whatever you do. Comes with the territory. Independent suspension all around is the only way to prevent that. Again, better to get the Buggies-looking-like-monster-trucks that Traxxas, FTX and their kind offer. ( don’t be tempted to try the cheap China offerings, though.. compared to Feiyue, WPL, and whatever their names are, the SMT is a tank)

Oh, and NONE of the plastics Axial uses can withstand cold in any form or shape. NONE! I broke só many plastic parts on the Exo, the Wraiths, and the RTR Honcho in the cold, that it wasn’t funny. But when the temp rose above about 15C°, they flexed like cooked spaghetti, but didn’t snap. You’d almost think Axial was based in Arizona and everything only got tested in the 48C° midday sun, or something.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 11-17-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #59
Rock Stacker

Silly Rabbit, Traxxas is for Kids.

Bring back the SMT10!!!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Axial posted yesterday a teaser on FB. Looked a lot like a SMT-10...
Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Smt10 discontinued - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jato's SMT10 JatoTheRipper Mega/Monster Trucks 241 12-28-2018 09:35 AM
SMT10 Body... soze Mega/Monster Trucks 16 08-30-2018 10:39 PM
Smt10 cvd OurJK Mega/Monster Trucks 0 12-27-2016 01:20 PM
SMT10 Outdrives? markturbo Mega/Monster Trucks 1 10-03-2016 08:18 AM