Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Lock diffs in smt10 ?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Lock diffs in smt10 ?!?

My 10 year old is a lot smarter then me . He is begging me to lock the diffs in our smt10.

He tells me it will slow us to flip it over when it’s on it’s back a lil easier .

What does locking a diff do tho .

Is it stronger better and more durable . Looking for pros and cons please

Also anyone have a spare EXO terra servo Mount ?
iplaywithrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lock diffs in smt10 ?!?

Locking the diffs will noticeably reduce your turning radius, because the rear will want to push straight and your inner front will spin faster then the circular path its on, also cuasing a it to push againts the direction of the corner. It's less noticeable in loser dirt, and you would be able to "whip it around" easier, assuming it doesn't flip while doing so. There's another negative, it'll flip a little easier while cornering with decent traction. The force of the tires fighting to go straight while cornering will translate into weight transfer to the outside thus increasing roll overs.
Another issue, is it will put more stress on the drive train. More forces on the axles and driveshafts. So more broken axles.
You could try it, see how you like it. I know all my points have been against it, but that doesn't mean if you did it, you wouldn't like it. Could simply try some silicone earplugs in your spider gears and see how it goes. It'll mostly lock them up, and still allow some give when needed. Not the easiest thing to clean out when you want to remove it, but doable. I used stuff called duct seal, its a grey compound used by electricians to seal holes and pipes, worked great but its not easily cleaned up. I had an extra set of diffs i used for it, but after i broke my metal driveshaft i went back to an open diff. This was on a stadium truck though, alot faster then an smt10.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Lock diffs in smt10 ?!?

In the factory setup the itsy bitsy differential, AKA "spider" gears are the weak link with no upgrade path while maintaining a functioning differential. The aftermarket spools replace the differential and are much stronger, but put additional stress on the rest of the drivetrain, especially the axle shafts.

The truck will upright itself much better locked/spooled, but again it's kinda hard on parts. The AR60 axles were never designed for huge monster truck tires and big air in the first place. With proper prep work and religous maintenance they can survive up to a moderate power/abuse level.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Lock diffs in smt10 ?!? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do i lock my diffs on my e-maxx Not Ur Avg Azn Traxxas Crawlers 8 06-22-2008 11:29 AM
what's the best way to lock the diffs? pickup1 HPI Wheely King 9 12-18-2007 04:56 PM
Other Products to lock Diffs hammer General Crawlers 5 10-16-2007 01:17 PM
lock diffs marcmol Newbie General 9 09-06-2006 02:25 PM