Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Youngblood's monster truck build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 02:57 AM   #1

Default Youngblood's monster truck build

It's not much but it's a start. Need to determine what chassis I want to run yet but I'm leaning towards the trx4. Whatever it is it's gotta be a solid axle chassis.

Anyways I'm sure these are familiar to everyone, Jconcepts Tribute wheels, and their Firestorm tires. I'm a fan of the traxxas underground video where they stick their drag race brushless engine into the trx4 and it goes 50mph so I think thats part of the inspiration for it. Eventually I want to do a more monster truck style of chassis but I think the trx4 will be a good start.

Youngblood00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #2

Default Re: Youngblood's monster truck build

Got a bit ahead of myself, I was going to hold off on buying the kit yet but I just couldn't wait any longer. Not even through a full battery yet but I can tell this will be a fun machine. Since these pictures(took them last night before I even ran the truck much) I removed the bumpers and trimmed the nomad body a bit, It's not exactly a great fit since it's an old body meant for I believe a T-maxx style chassis. But this is just until my ramcharger body is painted up and ready to go. I'm thinking I'll buy a skully body from traxxas and get that done up as my go too "monster truck" body and the ramcharger will be for crawling/scale stuff.

Anyways as you can see Jconcepts Tribute wheels, Jconcepts Firestorm tires, a Long arm lift kit from traxxas and obviously the trx4 builders kit. Wrecked my shift servo already and from my reading I didn't adjust the setup properly I'm guessing so I'll replace it eventually. The stock steering servo is weak but usable with the big tires as has been discussed at length here.

Last edited by Youngblood00; 08-26-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That is complete awesome!! Any body off photos?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
That is complete awesome!! Any body off photos?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
nothing super special about the body off photos so far it's just a stock trx4 with the long arm kit.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #5

So I bought a Proline Ramcharger body and had my local hobbyshop paint it for me(at the moment I don't really have a good place to paint bodies) turned out awesome

Old 09-14-2019, 11:40 PM   #6

So both above posts were supposed to be put up a week or so ago and I've just been lazy/busy with my daughter. So I've run the TRX4 monster truck a couple times and burnt up two different servos(shift servo after I didn't adjust it properly and then a rear locker servo after an attempted adjustment lol).

It's cool and works really well. I threw in the 12t motor out of my bandit. it was super fast but having to run the 12t backwards because the 21t is a reverse rotation motor eventually let the precious electrical smoke out. so a new motor is required for my bandit haha.

But the other day I found someone selling an SMT10 Grave Digger for a good price, brand new in the box. So being the reasonable person I am I thought about it for a few days and the need to have it became too much so I went and bought it. First things first I made up an adapter to run the traxxas batteries I have already in it. Then I put the jconcepts wheels and tires on, and finished that all off by setting up my chevy nomad bash body to run on it. Out of the box it's a torque monster and pulls the wheels just driving around my living room with a 2s battery.

So I think for now the trx4 will become my trail machine. maybe with the ramcharger body on it, I'm very particular about that one and not wanting to wreck it. So I might run the nomad on both machines just to protect the good bodies lol. And now obviously the SMT10 will become the monster truck. I'm going to do a couple upgrades off the bat. I want a front sway bar for sure and I want to run some kind of rear steer setup. I want to run it like a real truck were it's a toggle to steer it left, right, or straight.

Youngblood's monster truck build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitro monster truck build JSSOUTHTX Non Crawler RC's 1 04-21-2019 10:17 PM
My Wraith Monster Truck build Borgador17 Axial Wraith 18 07-18-2015 02:53 PM
Wraith monster truck build #3 william g Axial Wraith 15 02-23-2013 10:47 AM
looking to build a monster truck vigilant Kyosho Crawlers 10 04-09-2012 03:45 PM
Monster Truck build NickRummy Tamiya Clod Buster 34 11-26-2009 09:01 AM