Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Picked up the new SMT10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 01:05 AM   #1

Default Picked up the new SMT10

Just got the new SMT10 that I pre-ordered a couple weeks ago. My 4 year old son has been wanting to do a youtube video, but in previous tries he gets too shy and can't do it. However, he loves RC trucks, especially monster trucks, so I knew he would be excited to help me unbox my new Gravedigger. I've been out of the RC game and forums for a little bit so bare with me a little as I get back into it. Super pumped to start playing with this and adding some upgrades, and most important having some good ole fashioned family fun.

If you guys want to see anything in specific about the truck feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to take pics or video. Hopefully more to come along with a slow build thread.

Enjoy!

CreepyCrawler016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 02:43 AM   #2

Default Re: Picked up the new SMT10

The positive wire from the ESC to the motor has a Ferrite clamp over it. Did the previous models come with this? I have never had an RC car with one of these or Ferrite bead. I actually didn't know what it was until someone in the electronics section chimed in and told me the name then I did a quick search. I assume that Axial put this on for a reason so I am hesitant to remove it, even though the guy in electronics said that he always removes them and has no issues. The positive wire is about 7 inches long from ESC to Motor.

Since its a monster truck its going to getting jumped and take some tumbles so if it stays on I'm wanting to secure it so it doesn't slide on the wire as it's not exactly tight to the wire when clamped on. Just looking for input on if these came on older models and if I should keep it on or remove it. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2020, 05:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Can't beat family time! I've never seen a ferrite on a rc and now need to use google to see what it really is.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ferrite beads stop electronic interference an engineer decided it needed it not sure why but I'd leave it
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
an engineer decided it needed it not sure why but I'd leave it
That’s my thoughts on it. Some guys in the electronics section say it shouldn’t make any noticeable difference removing it, but since it came with it I’ll probably leave it on. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #6

Last night when the kids went to bed I was able to do a quick indoor test of the new rig. Keeping in mind that I usually play with RC Crawlers I was pretty impressed with the torque that this brushed motor has turning those big tires and being 4wd. Granted, I haven't been able to really open it up yet outdoors and I'm sure the top speed isn't the fastest out the box, but I was just thinking it was going to be painfully slow after reading that's what everyone complained about with the previous version.

Most of you will probably find this next video boring, but wanted to add it in just in case someone wanted to see the new Spektrum radio adjustments and a quick little torque testing. I also show it still has both differentials open along with the ferrite clamp that is pictured above.

Next time it will be driving outdoors and not a 10x10 room, haha.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the vid, i will prob pick one up the next couple of weeks myself.
LimPSHoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Thanks for the vid. I'm sure a lot of owners will love popping wheelies like that. Btw you probably know this (you did say it was late), but what you're referring to and adjusting is not throttle trim eh. Trim is the one that sets the car stationary (dead spot) with your finger off the trigger. The adjustment knob in question is throttle speed, or throttle rate, depending on the manufacturer. Also, steering rate doesn't typically change the speed at which the servo pulls the drag link, just how far before it stops angling the wheels left and right (ie turning radius) and it looks like your wheels could turn further before locking if you want, allowing you and your son to carve smaller donuts...in hockey rinks versus stadiums for example. :-) Though I could be wrong about that particular radio.
Your completely correct actually! About both the throttle rate and the steering rate which did adjust how far the servo turns the wheels, not the rate at which they turn. It was late at night and also I was just super excited about the new toy, haha. I did figure that out the next day though when I put the renegade tires on and had to adjust the steering. Thanks for chiming in politely.

We have been having a blast with the truck! My son gets pretty upset if I drive it without him there.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

Little video for you all. Just out bashing with my 4 year old son and his traxxas Skully. I’ve been working with him a lot on throttle control and the fine line between having fun bashing vs just hammering down and beating up the rig. Put my BKT tires from the Gravedigger on his truck since I got the renegades and he absolutely loves them. They are a lot more firm and have way more tread then his stock tires did.

Having an absolute blast with the SMT10. It is so much fun. We want to drive them like actual monster trucks and of course stuff gets broken so as they do I’ll upgrade and replace as needed. Just hope I get the carnage on video when it does happen so I can share with you all.

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited by CreepyCrawler016; 01-22-2020 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added a word
Old 01-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler016 View Post
Little video for you all. Just out bashing my 4 year old son
Woah dude that's not cool

I pulled mine out and put Universal axles and some random axial upgrades on it last weekend. Still a fun truck glad it ReReleased so I can break stuff on it
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #11

Ohh my gosh! Hahha. Oops. I’m going to edit that post.

I was so happy they brought them back! I missed the first round but always wanted one.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

That was a great video man!!! My 4 year old daughter thought it was awesome too
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote

Picked up the new SMT10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picked up another jk Alamo71 Axial SCX-10 0 10-12-2014 08:29 PM
just picked up a CR-)1 gunatrytocrawl Tamiya CR-01 10 09-17-2011 12:58 PM
So I picked something up! muphasta Newbie General 13 05-25-2010 09:00 AM
just picked one up rock hard Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 05-22-2010 07:33 PM