Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: My first Kyosho. "The second chancer".

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

Default My first Kyosho. "The second chancer".

Around 2 months ago I was coming home one night and short before parking saw something very yellow and with huge wheels next to the dumpster.

There it was, a monster truck, a set of battery packs and even a transmiter, all dusty and ready to be sent to the landfill.

Somehow I managed to put the thing on the back of my motorcycle for the last 100m to the garage and saved it from certain Carmaggedon.

I took it home and have not really given a look to it since, but now that I'm about to start my third week of corona-lockdown (hi from Spain) I needed some entertainment and took all out to the terrace.

I think this is a Kyosho Big Brute from the late 80's, and that's about all I know of it. Maybe some of you remember this thing or even had one. All stories and anecdotes are welcome.

Truth is, I'm not really into Monster Trucks, so I don't know what to do with it, but maybe I could give it a second chance (hence the title name) and restore it (cheap, don't want to spend on this).

It looks complete and original. No idea if it works, but externally everything looks ok. Only the transmiter has been modified to fit 1,5V batteries.

VRvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #2

Default Re: My first Kyosho. "The second chancer".

Oh, I tried exchanging bodys, just to see how they might look.

Big Brute body on CC01 chassis. Slightly long body for the Wrangler wheelbase.

Hot hatch version

cheap but ok body Porsche Cayenne from China. It fits.

The Big Brute body also fits nicely on the TL01 Tamiya chassis. Same wheelbase I could like that too.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Pretty awesome save, get her running and bashing around!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #4

Been doing some dismantling&cleaning this weekend.

I ike this body, even if it's in a very rough state. Will need to look how to take the old paint out to apply new one.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:00 AM   #5

Have been making little steps on this during (ongoing) lockdown. Basically dismantling, cleaning and greasing. Now it is back on its own feet again.

Gears looked very OK the first time I opened the car and watched them. Later on I realized they're not so mint. All is plastic and teeth are marked.

My first RC car made an appearance too. Working on it might be next in the pipeline.

This is basically all the car, except electronics.

Greased it with a white supersticky grease first, but looked like it could overload the motor so decided against it. Had to clean that thing, which took me some hours. This dark grease is smoother. Let's see how it fares.

Months ago I bought cheap but very soft banggood tyres for the CC01 that turned to be way too big (2.2). I had no application for them, but they look awesome on this. Like it waaaay better tan the original monster truck ones. If the Brute ends up being drivable, it will be with this rubber.

Stil pending is finding out how to restore the body. Would like to take the old paint out and repaint it with the same yellow, but keeping the cool (outside) stickers.

Dismantled, cleaned and oiled the shocks. They don't hold the oil, but are now really smooth. I like them. The car will be bouncy for sure, but let's try it. Might be cool for a change.

Shiny motor again. Wonder how it compares to a Tamiya silvercan. Will try it out on a TL01 chassis one of these days.

One of the few broken things. Wonder if it being broken has any effect. I have Tamiya parts to replace it, if needed.

Next, photos of the rebuilt car. I liked working on it.

Only problem is, everything worked before dismantling the car, but doesnt now. I would say it is the receiver. I will try with a newer older equipment to see if I locate the problem.
Used the TL01 to wire the LeMans motor and see it turn. It works, but the screeching sound from the gears or transmission is horrendous. It did before cleanning and greasing so it either comes from the plastic bushings (I might spend in a kit to improve this) or I will have to live with it (which I don't want to).
Old 05-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Wow, awesome score, I had a Kyosho Big Brute and it was tons of fun! Even the tires and speed control are original.. Definitely buy a bearings set, that broken white resistor is for the speed control to work properly. I ran mine with esc as soon as I could afford it, but that works if you replace the resistor, if the internal wires not broken glue it together carefully. Those bodies and tires are VERy difficult to find even in rough shape, mine had Parma Chevy pickup body on it when I sold it couple years ago.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Wow, awesome score, I had a Kyosho Big Brute and it was tons of fun! Even the tires and speed control are original.. Definitely buy a bearings set, that broken white resistor is for the speed control to work properly. I ran mine with esc as soon as I could afford it, but that works if you replace the resistor, if the internal wires not broken glue it together carefully. Those bodies and tires are VERy difficult to find even in rough shape, mine had Parma Chevy pickup body on it when I sold it couple years ago.

It's a cool car once you take the Monster wheels out

Is there a way to keep them as Good as they are, like some cream or oil? I won't be using them for now.

The speed control will stay for the moment. If the car turns to be a hoot then yes, new electronics would go in.

Did nothing on it these past days. I will use a newer ('95 ) Sanwa Dash Saber for it, if it works.

My first Kyosho. "The second chancer". - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
"newbie"?84' KYOSHO CHEVY4X4 CAN I USE BRUISER CRAWLER PARTS? SPECIAL-K Newbie General 2 05-22-2007 04:14 PM
RCP Crawlers can get you any "KYOSHO" product below "MAP" Pricing Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 7 01-28-2007 08:50 AM