Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: SMT10 Raw Builders Kit / 2020, what parts to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2020, 05:25 AM   #1

Default SMT10 Raw Builders Kit / 2020, what parts to buy?

Hi,

I am still fairly new to the hobby, planning the SMT10 to be my first kit.
I do own a RTR Wraith Spawn and pretty much did the full routine
(VP Links, Steering, Gear-Set, Wheels, Tires, Battery up Front, BigBore Shocks & Cap Mod, new Servo & ESC, Wraith Interior, Body Panels, Lights ....). So I should be somehow ready for a kit.

I would love to build a bullet proof SMT10, but it seems like that some of the nessessary upgrades are out of stock or discontinued.

Can you guys help plan a 2020 SMT10 rig ... what upgrades do I need, what parts are available and most important what parts are fit & function?

1. The Raw Builders Kid
Available on AmainH. or Horizon late in April.
For Europe I probably have to wait even longer, the custom fees for US imports are ridiculous high.

2. ESC & Motor Brushless System
Here I really dont know what to take. I would love to have Bluetooth Control over all the settings, like the Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT.
Can I go with a Hobbywing combo?

3. Servo
???

4. Shocks
PROLINE 627500 Powerstroke XT Shocks

5. Metal Parts= Steering, Linkage, VVDs, DriveShaft
Wraith VVD V1-HD
Incision Yeti 1/4 Stainless Steel Rear Upper Suspension Link Kit
Incision Wraith 1/4 Stainless Steel Drag Link and Tie Rod Kit
Axial Wraith Stage One Kit
Beef Tubes AR60 Beef Tubes (Brass)
MIP Axial SMT10 X-Duty Center Drive Kit

Incision SMT10 Trailing Arm Delete Link Kit
Vanquish Products Yeti Trailing Arm
There are delete kits and trailing arms .... what do I need?

6. Tires & Wheels
JConcepts 5.6" Renegades Monster Truck
or
ProLine Destroyer 2.6" M3
Wheels?

I would be very grateful for some help so I can built this rig to be fun.
Thank you very much.
Greetings from Hamburg,
jazz

Last edited by jazzmatazz; 04-24-2020 at 06:54 AM.
jazzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #2

Default Re: SMT10 Raw Builders Kit / 2020, what parts to buy?

Such a loaded question. What's your budget? I'm guessing it's pretty high.

The SMT10 is a fun kit once you throw a ton of money at it.

2. HobbyWing will work.

3. Savox 2290

4. Great shocks. You may have to do some custom work to get those large shocks to fit the SMT10. I haven't tried it.

5. Good list of parts. You will have to lock the rear diff for reliability and possibly the front as well. I don't know if the Raw kit comes with open diffs or lockers.

6. Wheels and tires are totally up to you. And are you going for looks or performance?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I recently got my SMT10 kit up and running so I have added what parts I used and any knowledge I can pass along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmatazz View Post
2. ESC & Motor Brushless System
Here I really dont know what to take. I would love to have Bluetooth Control over all the settings, like the Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT.
Can I go with a Hobbywing combo?
Monster trucks don't require anything too fancy since fine throttle control isn't that important. A unsensored system works perfectly in this application so you don't have to spend a lot to get a reliable ESC. Plenty of Hobbywing options will be great options, the XR8 SCT or even the Max10 SCT would be my choice.

As for the motor, pretty much any 550 sized 4 pole works great. You just have to choose the KV for how much speed you want. My truck has a 3800kv generic 550 4 pole motor I got off ebay or Amazon for like $15. On 2S, it is fast enough to be amusing in the confined space of my yard but can be run on 3S for larger spaces.

Quote:
3. Servo
???
The servo and linkage takes a beating when running monster truck tires on AR60 axles; I have ruined a servo saver and aluminum servo horn on my truck already. You want something with strong gears that can stand up to the forces those huge tires cause. The Savox 1230 and 1231 are popular options. They tend to be noisy but the steel gears are very strong and the price isn't bad. Pretty much all the steel gear Savox servos would be good, it is mostly up to how much you want to spend.

Quote:
4. Shocks
PROLINE 627500 Powerstroke XT Shocks
Not a lot of great options in this size. I'm still running the stock shocks with the addition of some aluminum caps and they seem fine if built right. There is some debate if the Proline shocks are really an upgrade over the stock Axial shocks anyway. In order of priority, this would probably be the last upgrade for me.

Quote:
5. Metal Parts= Steering, Linkage, VVDs, DriveShaft
Wraith VVD V1-HD
Incision Yeti 1/4 Stainless Steel Rear Upper Suspension Link Kit
Incision Wraith 1/4 Stainless Steel Drag Link and Tie Rod Kit
Axial Wraith Stage One Kit
Beef Tubes AR60 Beef Tubes (Brass)
MIP Axial SMT10 X-Duty Center Drive Kit

Incision SMT10 Trailing Arm Delete Link Kit
Vanquish Products Yeti Trailing Arm
There are delete kits and trailing arms .... what do I need?
Basically all the durability upgrades you would do to a Wraith, you want to do to the SMT10: knuckles, c-hubs, HD axle gears, steering linkage, etc. The Axial universals hold up about as well as anything else on the market so VVDs aren't really an upgrade. You definitely want to keep the open diffs on the SMT10 so aluminum diff cups are a great part to add if you can find a good set. As for the axle tubes, I would go with steel versions over the brass. The SMT10 doesn't need weight, it needs strength.

Regarding the trailing arms and trailing arm delete, this is mostly a matter of preference. The trailing arm delete makes you run the axle mounted on the shock (like the Wraith) which is closer to what a full size monster truck would run. The trailing arms keep the stock suspension which the chassis is clearly designed to use. If you want an option for better trailing arms, I like the Super Shafty ones more than the Vanquish ones for the replaceable rod ends.

https://supershafty.com/collections/...-trailing-arms

Quote:
6. Tires & Wheels
JConcepts 5.6" Renegades Monster Truck
or
ProLine Destroyer 2.6" M3
Wheels?
I like the Jconcepts options for wheels and tires. My truck has the Firestorms mounted on the Tribute wheels which are great but probably a little too big for the truck. The Renegades or JCTs are a better fit on the SMT10. RC4WD also has some relatively new 2.6 beadlocks for monster trucks that are a good price and look really cool but they are out of stock everywhere.

Proline's 2.6 monster truck tires have beads that are too wide to properly seat on the Jconcepts wheels without trimming, that is an important consideration.

One thing that I would recommend that wasn't mentioned was a front swaybar. The SMT10 uses the Yeti/Bomber swaybar so you could add the stock Axial part (AXI31331) or any of the various aftermarket options. Either way would absolutely help out with the handling.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #4

Thank you so much for taking the time.
That is a lot of information and I will check out everything in your post... most probably I will ask you a couple more questions when I got my "final" part list ready
Your explanations helped a lot, thanx again.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #5

@JatoTheRipper thanx for your help as well.

I am still trying to figure out the difference between a open and locked differential.
It has not klicked yet, I really have to asked YouTube.

Yes, I am aware that a fun Smt10 will get kind of pricey

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #6

A differential allows the wheels on an axle to turn at different speeds while turning. The SMT has open bevel gear diffs. I added 500k weight silicone diff fluid to mine to get some limited slip effect. It seems to work well, but just got it running late last night. A locked diff is no diff, just a spool, so both wheels on an axle are locked together and always turn at the same speed. Basically if you turn one tire and the other turns the same way, it is locked, if it turn the opposite direction, it is a differential. I think it is a great kit and my only mod at this point, besides the diff fluid, will be a front sway bar.
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #7

Just ordered my Grave Digger 2020!

Couple questions was hoping y'all could help me with. Mostly a backyard basher and will go on hiking trails. Some jumps but nothing huge. Won't go above 2S for power. Plan to keep the truck mostly stock except for a few things or until they break.

Front sway bar - i see the rear sway bar for sale but nothing regarding the front. Are they interchangeable? If so should i just buy the stock axial one?

Body - any particular sections that will require some shoe gooing?

Wheely bar - anything cheaper than the RH ones? I don't need anything fancy just something that will prevent the truck from flipping over and messing up the body

Lights - any light sets with buckets our there? Gotta have me the red headlights for grave digger ya know! Side lights for the eyes would be cool too - i see the old traxxas ones but they seem discontinued

Thx!
joeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Buy a bunch of servo savers and buy a bunch I mean like a s&$t ton of savers
iplaywithrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

SMT10 Raw Builders Kit / 2020, what parts to buy? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which SCX10 ii? Raw Builders Kit, Cherokee Kit or RTR Clarkbre Axial SCX10 II 30 03-27-2020 11:25 AM
Axial raw builders kit Crawl-N-Clod Axial SCX10 II 4 10-14-2019 10:58 PM
Cherokee kit or Raw Builders Kit? Can’t decide! twentyniner Axial SCX10 II 12 12-02-2018 09:14 AM
SCX10 II raw builders kit-questions Spence Axial SCX10 II 2 11-11-2018 07:34 AM