Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Back Velvet- Smt Mega Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Back Velvet- Smt Mega Truck

I picked up a Smt Raw Builders kit a couple months ago, and finally had the time, and place to build her!

Body is an ancient Proline F100 Maxx size body.

Unfortunately, black doesn't photograph well.

I am not sure where I want to go with electronics, but thinking 3000kv 4 pole Sv3... Its what I have sitting...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
j0e
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Back Velvet- Smt Mega Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I picked up a Smt Raw Builders kit...

I am not sure where I want to go with electronics, but thinking 3000kv 4 pole Sv3... Its what I have sitting...

Do it!

I love seeing monster trucks!
They're my favorite still.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #3

Truck looks great!

I agree go with the electronics you have, its more than enough power to break stuff

You have some tires i see but the new JConcepts 2.2 King Fling tires would be sick on there.
MattKimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
Do it!

I love seeing monster trucks!
They're my favorite still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKimble View Post
Truck looks great!

I agree go with the electronics you have, its more than enough power to break stuff

You have some tires i see but the new JConcepts 2.2 King Fling tires would be sick on there.
For your listening pleasure....
https://youtu.be/jrKN2HHUrok

Thanks guys! I have the Big Mud bashers from Rc4wd and these Wheely King rims and tires... I actually really like the look of the WK rims and tires, Black chrome!

In other news I addd more stickers..

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 10-13-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Tried these on...

Old 10-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Tried these on...

Looks good, but I personally love the overly wide monster truck tires. But, I’m bias since I love monster truck RCs anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I think I’m going to pick up one of these kits, add fling kings, and cut up my spare C10 body to fit (bigger fender openings, bob the rear and maybe dovetail it). Then just slowly upgrade what I break or want to look cooler. I’ve been overthinking the mud truck thing lately lol.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I think I’m going to pick up one of these kits, add fling kings, and cut up my spare C10 body to fit (bigger fender openings, bob the rear and maybe dovetail it). Then just slowly upgrade what I break or want to look cooler. I’ve been overthinking the mud truck thing lately lol.
Thats Kinda what I did. Except I have spares here and there...

I am still going to build my F650 up, I have the chassis and wheels/tires. Just need to get stuff to build links and mount everything on...

Almost had it at one time....

I need to finish my 6x6 then build my 650....
Old 10-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thats Kinda what I did. Except I have spares here and there...

I am still going to build my F650 up, I have the chassis and wheels/tires. Just need to get stuff to build links and mount everything on...

Almost had it at one time....

I need to finish my 6x6 then build my 650....

So hear me out, this may sound dumb but I've worked through the logic...I am new to this so don't have a stash of spares/parts/kit bashing ability (yet lol). So I compared the kit vs rtr on the SMT10 and came up with a list of components I'd need to run it. Just to put Amazon cheap basic or hobby grade decent/entry level motor ($20), ESC $30), transmitter/receiver ($50-60), and servo $20-30 I'd be looking at $150 ish. I'm aware the RTR electronics are not the best but considering there's a $100 price difference in the 2 kits I am likely going to spring for the RTR. Then I will have some spare parts and can slowly upgrade. That doesn't even include the tires, they are around $60 (I know I will change those but again, spares for a future project or a change-up when I get bored of skinny mud tires).

I'm thinking I will disassemble the RTR and dye the frame black, pull the body off and store it for safe keeping, and go with my plan of changing things up. It just seems like for an additional $100 I can't lose, I don't want to dump $200-$300 on top of the $200 builder kit at this point. That will be a very slow process.

Sorry to hijack your thread, there just aren't too many of these builds going on anymore from what I can see.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
So hear me out, this may sound dumb but I've worked through the logic...I am new to this so don't have a stash of spares/parts/kit bashing ability (yet lol). So I compared the kit vs rtr on the SMT10 and came up with a list of components I'd need to run it. Just to put Amazon cheap basic or hobby grade decent/entry level motor ($20), ESC $30), transmitter/receiver ($50-60), and servo $20-30 I'd be looking at $150 ish. I'm aware the RTR electronics are not the best but considering there's a $100 price difference in the 2 kits I am likely going to spring for the RTR. Then I will have some spare parts and can slowly upgrade. That doesn't even include the tires, they are around $60 (I know I will change those but again, spares for a future project or a change-up when I get bored of skinny mud tires).

I'm thinking I will disassemble the RTR and dye the frame black, pull the body off and store it for safe keeping, and go with my plan of changing things up. It just seems like for an additional $100 I can't lose, I don't want to dump $200-$300 on top of the $200 builder kit at this point. That will be a very slow process.

Sorry to hijack your thread, there just aren't too many of these builds going on anymore from what I can see.
The (New) RTR SMT10 is by far a great deal. Now with the 12turn and all metal gears plus ok electronics you cant go wrong. Die the frame black like you say and its good enough until you break something. slowly replace what breaks with better parts and you will build up your spare parts bin.

** this is what i am currently doing**
MattKimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

No worries Phil!

It sounds like a good plan... A rtr is really a hard value to beat.

My Smt is not running, because I don't have all the parts I need, so there is that. And I have totes of spare parts lol. I am working on going through them to eliminate the unused or not useful stuff.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #12

Quote:
For your listening pleasure....
https://youtu.be/jrKN2HHUrok

Thanks guys! I have the Big Mud bashers from Rc4wd and these Wheely King rims and tires... I actually really like the look of the WK rims and tires, Black chrome!

In other news I addd more stickers..

Looks like the mud tires and rims that I recently purchased from 4wheelonline for my real-life F150. Impressive!
nictical is offline   Reply With Quote

Back Velvet- Smt Mega Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM
SCX10 Mud Truck, Mega Truck Ideas thejudge1 Mega/Monster Trucks 7 11-08-2014 07:33 PM