Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: LOSI LMT.....Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: LOSI LMT.....Thoughts?

Pretty sure you can break anything if you try hard enough but this adds fuel to my Arrma fire. If/when I pull the trigger on a basher/flyer im heading straight to an Arrma Outcast and calling it a day. Don’t care if it’s scale or not, will be too busy grinning.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #62
Pebble Pounder

I don't feel I was driving it aggressively enough to justify breaking the spindle carrier, but it's very possible that the other damage was due to a crash given they are all in the same location. I don't THINK I hit anything that hard, though.

I was able to bend the chassis plate back into shape easily. The front brace should, IMO, bit a bit thicker or larger, it's still cracked, but functional. I may try to fabricate something better.

Also, interestingly, it looks like the steering link has a metal rod inside that is sheathed by the plastic. That's interesting, I assume the plastic keeps it from bending and the rod keeps it all together? In any case, it's cracked on the plastic, but I'm gonna keep running it that way and see if it gets worse or what happens.

All that being said, the axle breaking seems to be the main issue most are having. That and the king pins backing out because the retaining bolt is loosening, but I think there should be an easy fix there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
The axles look beefy from the outside, but seem to be thin walled and made out of too many pieces. Just looked, and a stock front housing is $55, and the rear is $40!
That seems to be the main problem. I anticipate they made them thin so they would flex on impact, but the cold temperatures that seem to be where most people are breaking them, are resulting in the plastic becoming rigid, which results in them breaking easier. There was clearly some thought put into it given the modular design of the axle, but I think they are just not strong enough when the plastic becomes harder in temps closer to freezing. It seems like most breakages I read about are in colder temps.

I could be mistaken, but either way, it seems like alloy axle upgrades are worthwhile on the truck day 1. Treal is expecting more in Feb (pre-orders have started) and I've seen a few other folks indicate they are working on some.

It's such a blast to drive, though. I don't really care about speed, I don't have the yard space to get the full benefit of my Maxx any more and the LMT is great for that. Anything becomes a jump, I even took a piece of a downed branch I cut up and it was leaping off of it into the dirt. My Maxx required a bit more appropriately shaped jump to get into the air and I always felt like I was bottoming it out when I landed it on larger jumps. The amount of space required for it was much larger, also, whereas I can crawl up the face of a jump and punch it with the LMT and land perfectly.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Add a blown shock to the list.

The piston on the right rear shock broke off from the rod, it looks like the c-clip came loose, and dislodged into the shock body, shoving the rod crooked and puncturing the bladder.

EDIT: Apparently the truck needs limit straps, the shock issue is due to the c-clips becoming dislodged when the shocks rebound quickly due to the weight of the wheels

Last edited by Shinook; 01-20-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

I have a few packs through mine now, both 2S and 3S, and my experience has been completely different than Shinook’s. My truck has been launched, crashed, ran into trees, cartwheeled, and all other types of mayhem a monster truck should endure with barely more than a scratched up body (outside of the previously mentioned smashed grille). The same type of driving around my yard with some ruts and makeshift jumps took out a set of HD axle gears, 2 rod ends, an Axial aluminum servo horn, and a servo saver in about 10 total minutes of drive time on my SMT10. The LMT has been downright bulletproof in comparison.

The working theory is the cold is one of the major factors in the axle housings breaking, it doesn’t get that cold here on a regular basis so that may be in my favor.

Last edited by svt923; 01-22-2021 at 08:01 AM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

I've run into a few other issues.

I finally got my RTR back together, which I hadn't run yet because I had been stealing parts for my roller, and the front right wheel was dragging and wouldn't rotate. I broke down the front axle and there were loose bolts and a large C-clip, none of which correlate to any parts on the axle, inside of the axle causing it to seize. I removed them and all is well. Keep in mind, I hadn't touched the axle at this point except to remove the shock, so this was an assembly problem. The axle also feels rough, like the mesh is wrong.

As for my roller, it ate my Spektrum 6280 servo, the motor appears to have burned out. Many recommended running it direct on a metal gear servo, which I tried on a Savox, but the gears were stripped by the second run. I have a Promodeler 630 that's going in once Losi gets around to releasing the 25t servo saver, which IMO should have been done from the start and been included with the roller, it's annoying being bound to Spektrum servos.

Horizon replaced the broken shocks. According to the FB group, the truck basically requires limit straps to avoid destroying the c-clips and shocks. The general recommendation is 110mm straps from HR, but I ordered a full set and they are way too long, I think 100-105mm is the appropriate length.

Drove the roller for a little bit last night and I still love it, I just wish I wasn't having so many problems with both trucks. Oddly enough, I haven't had any issues breaking housings aside from some tabs breaking off near the junction of the diff cover and outer axle covers.

Last edited by Shinook; 01-25-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:38 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Would somebody with this truck mind measuring the diameter and width of the tires. The weight too if you have a scale. I can find this info anywhere. Thanks.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:06 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Would somebody with this truck mind measuring the diameter and width of the tires. The weight too if you have a scale. I can find this info anywhere. Thanks.
The tires are 6.25 X 4, about the same as the Jconcepts Firestorms.

As for weight, not sure on specifics since my scale no longer works but the tires are quite hefty. Changing to Jconcepts wheels and tires is supposed to remove over a pound from the truck to give you some idea.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The tires are 6.25 X 4, about the same as the Jconcepts Firestorms.

As for weight, not sure on specifics since my scale no longer works but the tires are quite hefty. Changing to Jconcepts wheels and tires is supposed to remove over a pound from the truck to give you some idea.
Thank you sir . So what you're saying is the LMT wheels and tires weigh a little less than Say the jconcepts wheels with firestorms?

Old 02-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Thank you sir . So what you're saying is the LMT wheels and tires weigh a little less than Say the jconcepts wheels with firestorms
No, it’s the other way around. The Firestorms are similar is height and width but with much less weight. The total weight reduction is supposed to be over a pound when going from stock tires to Jconcepts so I would imagine each stock tire and wheel is 4-5 oz heavier than a Jconcepts tire on a Tribute wheel.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
No, it’s the other way around. The Firestorms are similar is height and width but with much less weight. The total weight reduction is supposed to be over a pound when going from stock tires to Jconcepts so I would imagine each stock tire and wheel is 4-5 oz heavier than a Jconcepts tire on a Tribute wheel.
Thank you for that clarification .

Old 02-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

I can now join the broken axle club. My fault though. I did a backflip and the rear right tire landed heavy and cracked it. I'd like to think it could hold up to that sort of thing, but I can't fault it entirely.

I managed to nab a set of the Treal axles and have had no issues since. I even bashed it pretty hard in the snow yesterday and nothing broke, no issues or anything of that sort despite the temps. I think these axles will end up being necessary for most unless Losi decides to change the design.

I also found that the seized axle on my RTR was from the random c-clip, the two bolts that were in there were unrelated, they are part of the servo mount. Removing the C-clip resolved the issue and it drives great now.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #72
Rock Crawler

Here’s mine

Castle MMX, 1512 2650kv, Reefs RC Raw 500, JC Raptor body, JC Tributes with JCT Gold tyres, ive got a set of Freestyle RC axle braces and a set of RH Designs internal axle braces on the way to beef up the axles

Last edited by Curb Crawler; 02-11-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb Crawler View Post
Here’s mine
Castle MMX, 1512 2650kv, Reefs RC Raw 500, JC Raptor body, JC Tributes with JCT Gold tyres, ive got a set of Freestyle RC axle braces and a set of RH Designs internal axle braces on the way to beef up the axles
Is the Reefs holding up without a servo saver or did you find another solution? Losi has taken forever to release their 25t saver and I have a PM630 ready for the truck but am afraid I'll damage it like I did the Savox I tried.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #74
RCC Addict

HemiStorm posted shots of the Treal axles on IG, they look very heavy. But pretty. His "Flying Dutchman" build is one of my favorites so far. Every time I think I'm over this rig he posts another build photo.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Is the Reefs holding up without a servo saver or did you find another solution? Losi has taken forever to release their 25t saver and I have a PM630 ready for the truck but am afraid I'll damage it like I did the Savox I tried.
I’ve not run the truck yet, I’m waiting for my axle braces to turn up first, from what I’ve seen the RAW 500 is pretty bomb proof and the horns strip before the gears
Old 02-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #76

What Bodies are people using on them? 13WB?
HKSkook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:32 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

I’ve now fitted RH Designs internal braces to my axles to help beef them up

Old 02-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSkook View Post
What Bodies are people using on them? 13WB?
Yep, I’ve seen a few with crawler bodies now
Old 02-27-2021, 05:42 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

I made a vid about my build

https://youtu.be/5tD0RPbBse8
Old 02-27-2021, 09:00 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Agree with most of that. Biggest downer for me is the $600 price tag. I can do a lot to an SMT10 builder kit with that extra money. Heck it's double the price of the SMT10 RTR...not sure if it is that awesome. Kind of does the same thing too, wheelies and ramps. Kind of hard to screw that up, it either breaks or doesn't. I'd like to see some real world bashing on them before pulling the trigger (and tbh I probably won't ever buy one haha)
I bought the SMT10 Gravedigger...upgraded it with axle beef tubes, Onyx BL system, Fly Sky rx, front sway bars, lights, metal drive shafts, and a few other things I can't think of ATM. So now my $300 truck is close to a $600 LMT anyway...lol. I think the Losi needs fewer upgrades, with the axles being the weak link. Losi is already releasing upgraded beefed up axles...

I still lust after the Losi, but did have fun tinkering and painting the GD...I like the scale green cage, but as far as looks, it shows it's Wraith roots with the chassis and long wheel base.
My GD...

I hand painted the helmet, as it was just a glow in the dark thing...

Last edited by Slow Runner; 02-27-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Slow Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

LOSI LMT.....Thoughts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
internal shocks comp losi? your thoughts smeesho Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 02-13-2013 07:11 PM
Thoughts on Losi MOA vs XR10 vti-chris Newbie General 6 07-21-2011 09:01 PM
Thoughts on Losi MOA with HH7t motors ShockTherapy Team Losi Comp Crawler 14 01-04-2010 04:33 PM
Losi 7.4v 3300 mah 20c lipo - thoughts? honyock Electronics 14 10-10-2009 03:18 AM
Thoughts on Losi Mini Crawler ESC BEC Shaun Electronics 2 05-09-2009 12:59 AM