RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Mega/Monster Trucks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/mega-monster-trucks/)
-   -   LOSI LMT.....Thoughts? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/mega-monster-trucks/621978-losi-lmt-thoughts.html)

MattKimble 11-13-2020 06:18 AM

LOSI LMT.....Thoughts?

OK I am not sure why there has been no talk about this truck on here yet but i am sure you have all seen it by now. Here is my thoughts, lets hear yours.

First impressions after hearing and seeing all the videos is this.
Chassis is not as scale looking as i would have liked. But i am used to the smt10. However the differentials do look scale and are built tuff as nails.
The tires look perfect in scale however they did go with the short course style wheels that throw off that scale look but do perform really well. Stock electronics on the RTR are great! zero complaints other than it should of come with a battery and charger for new people in the sport but lets be honest this shouldn't be the first truck you buy entering the sport. The trans location is not scale but extremely fictional and effectively removes all torque twist. Also you motor will never not be aligned with the spur gear and the torque management will save lots of driveline parts.

Conclusion, its a bad ass, fast truck that can take a beating out of the box and be competitive on the race track if that's what your into. It just wont please the Monster Truck Purist on the looks department.

MaX-D 11-13-2020 07:06 AM

Re: LOSI LMT.....Thoughts?

There's a thread going over in chit chat about it.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

mdfjhm92 11-13-2020 10:53 AM

I wonder if these axles will fit under the smt10

Growler 11-18-2020 12:38 PM

SMT10 has the advantage that it has more scale look and you can easily use axles in other builds because many rims will fit and it has under-/overdrive options. Also it has true solid axle while LMT seems to have independent suspension looking dogbone shafts inside.

Kyosho Mad Crusher seems pretty close in size and weight but looks to be cheaper. maybe LMT fits into comp rules while Mad Crusher axles would not idk.

I do not like LMT axles because of internal shaft design, outer looks and those lower link attachment points. I would like to know if the axle bevel gears and other differential components would fit into Mad crusher to get under-/overdrive.

BJoe 11-18-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growler (Post 6053769)
SMT10 has the advantage that it has more scale look and you can easily use axles in other builds because many rims will fit and it has under-/overdrive options. Also it has true solid axle while LMT seems to have independent suspension looking dogbone shafts inside.

Kyosho Mad Crusher seems pretty close in size and weight but looks to be cheaper. maybe LMT fits into comp rules while Mad Crusher axles would not idk.

I do not like LMT axles because of internal shaft design, outer looks and those lower link attachment points. I would like to know if the axle bevel gears and other differential components would fit into Mad crusher to get under-/overdrive.

What are you looking at the axles at for?

For modern MT axles, they’re damn near dead on, if you’re looking at pre tube chassis MT axles, Wheely King axles look more scale than the AR10 axles, even the AX10/SCX10 axles are more scale looking.

Phildirt 11-18-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKimble (Post 6052963)
OK I am not sure why there has been no talk about this truck on here yet but i am sure you have all seen it by now. Here is my thoughts, lets hear yours.

First impressions after hearing and seeing all the videos is this.
Chassis is not as scale looking as i would have liked. But i am used to the smt10. However the differentials do look scale and are built tuff as nails.
The tires look perfect in scale however they did go with the short course style wheels that throw off that scale look but do perform really well. Stock electronics on the RTR are great! zero complaints other than it should of come with a battery and charger for new people in the sport but lets be honest this shouldn't be the first truck you buy entering the sport. The trans location is not scale but extremely fictional and effectively removes all torque twist. Also you motor will never not be aligned with the spur gear and the torque management will save lots of driveline parts.

Conclusion, its a bad ass, fast truck that can take a beating out of the box and be competitive on the race track if that's what your into. It just wont please the Monster Truck Purist on the looks department.

Agree with most of that. Biggest downer for me is the $600 price tag. I can do a lot to an SMT10 builder kit with that extra money. Heck it's double the price of the SMT10 RTR...not sure if it is that awesome. Kind of does the same thing too, wheelies and ramps. Kind of hard to screw that up, it either breaks or doesn't. I'd like to see some real world bashing on them before pulling the trigger (and tbh I probably won't ever buy one haha)

Growler 11-18-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJoe (Post 6053774)
What are you looking at the axles at for?

For modern MT axles, they’re damn near dead on, if you’re looking at pre tube chassis MT axles, Wheely King axles look more scale than the AR10 axles, even the AX10/SCX10 axles are more scale looking.

Why would I choose a hollow bulky axle housing that has to fit dogbone cups inside when I could go for narrower solid axle shaft with housing that packs some material instead of air? And how would those lower link mounts be beneficial to random custom offroad builds? Why would I choose specific purpose design for an RC vehicle when I can go for modular construction?

Why not AR60 with better plastics instead of completely new design? They have experience with AR60, they have Losi plastics formula, why not put those things together and have people upgrading their existing vehicles? Small desktop mills like Proxxon MF 70 etc are getting more and more attractive with every new release since pre HH Axial.

svt923 11-18-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phildirt (Post 6053776)
Agree with most of that. Biggest downer for me is the $600 price tag. I can do a lot to an SMT10 builder kit with that extra money. Heck it's double the price of the SMT10 RTR...not sure if it is that awesome. Kind of does the same thing too, wheelies and ramps. Kind of hard to screw that up, it either breaks or doesn't. I'd like to see some real world bashing on them before pulling the trigger (and tbh I probably won't ever buy one haha)

$200 SMT10 kit + $300 in upgrades to drive using something more powerful than a brushed motor for 15 minutes > $400 LMT roller

I like my SMT10 but there is a ton of history with the Wraith that shows the AR60s aren’t up to abuse unless you replace everything on them and that only gets worse with monster truck tires. That is before considering the fact that no matter what you throw on your AR60s, they are perpetually stuck with pathetically weak diff gears that were never meant to hold up to a truck that size.

Phildirt 11-18-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 6053789)
$200 SMT10 kit + $300 in upgrades to drive using something more powerful than a brushed motor for 15 minutes > $400 LMT roller

I like my SMT10 but there is a ton of history with the Wraith that shows the AR60s aren’t up to abuse unless you replace everything on them and that only gets worse with monster truck tires. That is before considering the fact that no matter what you throw on your AR60s, they are perpetually stuck with pathetically weak diff gears that were never meant to hold up to a truck that size.

I would like to know how many people actually break Ar60s using 'common sense' and driving the truck somewhat scale (MTs don't jump 100' in the air lol) and how much of that is just forum talk/worry. Dont get me wrong I see plenty of talk about them actually breaking, but compared to how many are out there it has to be a finite percentage. I liken it to everyone ranting about the GM G80/GovLock rear end grenading...yes aftermarket lockers are better, but considering they put that rear end in every SUV/truck for 20 years I think by and large they hold up in most applications.

Not sure if that made sense haha. I guess what I'm saying is "yes things break, but not usually when they are used as intended". Those AR60s are in a heck of a lot of RCs...

svt923 11-18-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phildirt (Post 6053794)
I would like to know how many people actually break Ar60s using 'common sense' and driving the truck somewhat scale (MTs don't jump 100' in the air lol) and how much of that is just forum talk/worry.

From personal experience, my SMT10 has been through an aluminum servo horn, an aluminum servo saver, a trailing arm rod end, and a set of HD axle gears within the first 10 minutes of it being operational. I didn’t even get a chance to try something stupid with it. :mrgreen:

HumboldtEF 11-18-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phildirt (Post 6053794)
I would like to know how many people actually break Ar60s using 'common sense' and driving the truck somewhat scale

Point is this is a MT and it will be bashed, thats its only job lol.

I agree about the AR60 being easy to grenade, I've gone through diff gears in all of my AR60 rigs except for a lightly used Bomber.

Dont forget the AR60's came on things like the Yeti Score trophy truck which was never intended to go slow.

One of my first impressions of the LMT was that the axles were ugly but now that I've thought about it a bit I dont care at all. What it really see here is that the MT crowd may not have to run AR60's anymore. Not for the sake of looks but in the hopes they're able to hold up the the abuse they're intended to see.

Then there's the RC4WD end of the spectrum for MT axles, how'd you like a super stretched yota 2 axle or whatever they've re-used on the Carbon Assault :flipoff:

MattKimble 11-19-2020 06:43 AM

The Losi Axles are extremely scale looking to current monster jam trucks. They are all fabricated truss style just like that. Not to mention they can handle 3s bashing like no other solid axle on the market (Stock out of the box) Yes the SMT10 and AR60 can handle scale type jumps with a few upgrades or replacement metal housings, all of which cost money.

The LMT is faster, stronger and better handling than an SMT10 in every way. And because of that it costs more.

For those wanting to see real life bashing of it until it breaks go watch CCxRC on You Tube.

OSRC 11-19-2020 06:45 AM

I've got my SMT set up with open diffs and 2.2's... I think clod tires and lockers are just too much for the axles unless you upgrade heavily. (Fun fact - the AR60 ring/pinion/diff was first rolled out in the HPI Nitro MT) AR60's seem much happier with smaller tires closer to what they were designed for.

I think Losi knocked this one out of the park. Very innovative and looks great! Kudos for a roller version too.

Growler 11-19-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKimble (Post 6052963)
...The trans location is not scale but extremely fictional and effectively removes all torque twist. ...

How does it do that? Axle diff bevel gears seem in the same position as Axial Wraith for example. Or you mean from motor itself and not axle torque twist?

ROWDY RACING 11-19-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growler (Post 6053953)
How does it do that? Axle diff bevel gears seem in the same position as Axial Wraith for example. Or you mean from motor itself and not axle torque twist?

Correct, it removes motor torque, NOT axle torque twist, from what I have seen they still have decent torque twist.

Growler 11-20-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING (Post 6053979)
Correct, it removes motor torque, NOT axle torque twist, from what I have seen they still have decent torque twist.

Interesting, I have watched some videos with big jumps with cars that have longitudinally aligned motor and never seen a tendency to roll around longitudinal axis. Always seem to nose up or nose down when using throttle or braking.

jcanuck 11-20-2020 03:08 PM

the axles on the LMT remind of a rock bouncer "thumbsup"

HumboldtEF 11-20-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growler (Post 6054150)
Interesting, I have watched some videos with big jumps with cars that have longitudinally aligned motor and never seen a tendency to roll around longitudinal axis. Always seem to nose up or nose down when using throttle or braking.

that has more to do with the (typically large) tires spinning and creating rotational forces that can alter the pitch.

Growler 11-23-2020 12:50 PM

Quote from Losi website: "Optional 12mm Aluminum Wheel Hex: We offer an optional 12mm aluminum wheel hex for the LMT so you can use aftermarket wheels and tires from such popular brands as Proline."

If Horizon Hobby owns both Losi and Proline, then is Proline really aftermarket?

BJoe 11-23-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growler (Post 6054555)
Quote from Losi website: "Optional 12mm Aluminum Wheel Hex: We offer an optional 12mm aluminum wheel hex for the LMT so you can use aftermarket wheels and tires from such popular brands as Proline."

If Horizon Hobby owns both Losi and Proline, then is Proline really aftermarket?

Well, if Dynamite and Duratrax are"thumbsup"