SMT10 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Need help deciding!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2020, 02:29 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Need help deciding!!!

Hello everyone!

As we all know, the Losi LMT has debuted recently. I really like it, but not enough to drop $600 on one. Maybe I wouldn't look at that price that way if I knew 100% that I will enjoy an MT like I enjoy my TRX4? Anyways, I have a question Ive been thinking about and would like some opinions.

So, here's my question for all you MT pros.

SMT10 or Losi LMT? Is the LMT worth $600? Or should I get an SMT10 RTR and just build as I go?

The LMT looks better/more scale IMO, but the SMT10 is cheap! Plus, I am going to swap bodies pretty quick most likely. Are the RTR electronics decent? I've never dealt with Spektrum/Dynamite before.

Any help is appreciated!
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2020, 03:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need help deciding!!!

The more and more I look, it seems the SMT10 is the no brainer choice.

And when i said the Losi is more scale, I was only looking at the Amain picture which makes it look like a cheap toy. I think they both look really scale.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

SMT10 kit for $200. Shorten wheelbase to 12.5 with link kit, swap to metal steering links, jconcepts Ford body, tribute wheels, renegade tires, electronics, upgrade drive shafts, and you aren’t to $600 yet and have a nice scale looking rig. If you love it, buy the LMT later but I’d want to see what breaks on those or what guys don’t like about them first. Like a year later. That’s a lot of coin to be a guinea pig.

I abandoned my MT quest because I decided it would probably be fun about 6 times, I’d break things, replace them, have fun about 4 more times...then sell it lol.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Speaking of buying a new rtr did you notice the Trailwalker is 2 for $500 again?
Old 11-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My thinking....

If you want a smaller brushed rig, go Axial Smt....

If you want a brushless powerhouse that can bash hard, go Losi LMT.

I have a Raw builders Smt and it is a fun build and very scale, however looking at the parts used, I do not think it will be up to brushless power for very long with out breaking.
My plan is to build it as a replacement for my old brushed WheelyKing...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If I ever dip my toe into the indestructible/bashing/stunt world I’m not worried about scale, just for the adrenaline. Either an Arrma Infraction or one of their 6s MTs. Those street bashers look like a lot of fun. Or if I had silly hobby monies one of the 8s Outcast. Watch a video clip on one of those and the SMT10 looks like a child’s toy in comparison lol.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Or: take that $600 and buy Cracker Barrel stock like my 12 year old did and have enough money in 5-10 years to buy one of each brand/make/model
Old 11-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

From purely monster truck perspective the LMT would probably make for a more solid option, you can get going right away, start learning all the freestyle tricks etc and for some people even be cheaper in the long run, although do not know the cost of spare parts right now. Would probably make for a good mega mud truck build as well.

I have many other considerations like compatibility with my other vehicles, customization and independent aftermarket otions that keep me with the SMT10. That is why not giving my vote, I am just really bummed they did not do AR60 axle or compatible axle upgrade in better material.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've thought about a SMT10 at one point, but considering how much "over" built the LMT is compared to the SMT10, I'd just buy one of those, especially how I tend to mod things.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated

As of now, I think I’m going with an SMT10 and build it as I go. I know the LMT is probably more durable, but I can’t justify dropping $600 on it. Also what PhilDirt said, we don’t know how good these are going to be, and I don’t want to spend that much on a test rig.

I’m having a hard time choosing if I want an SMT10 Kit or RTR.

Things I like about RTR
Gravedigger body
Already have tires/wheels. I’ve never glued tires, and don’t want to spend a lot on monster truck beadlocks.
Extra parts, stickers, etc.

Things I like about kit
I’ve always wanted to do a kit
Black chassis
$100 cheaper

Things I don’t like about the RTR
Green chassis. Won’t fit with my paint scheme I want to do to a body.
Already put together

Things I don’t like about the kit.
Have to get tires/wheels. Same case, I don’t really want to deal with glueing tires.
No grave digger body. I wouldn’t run it much, but it looks really good!

If I do end up going with a kit, I’ll need some help with electronics. I know that I want to get a TQi transmitter so if I ever want to do switchable diffs or rear steer or even lights, I have 2 extra switches.

EDIT: Now thinking about it, I will still get a TQi weather its a kit/RTR. I want to do this because I've heard the included transmitter is also included with a noticeable delay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-24-2020 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:44 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That’s another case where the kit would be better (I’d go ARR on the LMT, tbh), you’ll have more options with the paint jobs, can upgrade on the construction end (better gears, drive shafts, electronics, etc) and have something better than the kit and then your choice of body, wheels, and tires in 2.2, 2.6, or even 3.4 (T-Maxx sized), if you want to give that a shot.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:31 AM   #12
RCC Addict

You can disassemble the kit and dye the cage black. Dig through the MT section several members have done it. I’d plan on upgrading the servo at a minimum if you go rtr. The wheels/tires would be the least of my worries, they are almost all glue on at that size and it’s not that hard. I’d want 2.6 and the Renegade is so much better looking.

As far as getting help with electronics on the kit...read,read and then read some more. Several great SMT10 builds in this forum with already tried/true combinations and all the parts that did/didnt break with them. Jato’s thread is particularly informative.

Last edited by Phildirt; 11-24-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #13
Slow is the new Fast

I am not an MT guy. To exemplify my point I will say that would rather get a Traxxas if I wanted to bash

That said, I am still going to play along. My choice would be the Losi roller. Quality is worth the extra bucks up front, it always pays off in the end. The roller also allows you to customize.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
My choice would be the Losi roller. Quality is worth the extra bucks up front, it always pays off in the end. The roller also allows you to customize.
Indeed.

By the time you add some of the bare minimum mods to the SMT10 kit like a front swaybar, universals, HD axle gears, and tires, you are within like $20 of the LMT roller so the initial cost savings evaporate quickly.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #15
RCC Addict

IMO

https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-n...6044t1/p967240
Old 11-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I’m getting pushed over to the LMT side due to seeing how much more powerful, durable, and just more “stuntable” if that makes since.

I think I’m going to spend extra to get an LMT RTR when they are released.

They are set to be available on Jan 15th on Amain, may even preorder if I get the funds before then.

I really like that it’s brushless, it has a black cage, flip top and more scale looking chassis/tires/wheels. It also seems like it has a lot more air control.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-24-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:03 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

If this helps any, this guy races the 1:1 Overkill Evolution monster truck and got one of the LMTs demo A-RTR trucks and has a couple vids out of it. He’s also no stranger to R/C Monster Trucks of both the solid axle and 4 Wheel Independant varieties

Old 11-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
If this helps any, this guy races the 1:1 Overkill Evolution monster truck and got one of the LMTs demo A-RTR trucks and has a couple vids out of it. He’s also no stranger to R/C Monster Trucks of both the solid axle and 4 Wheel Independant varieties

Thanks BJoe! This does help!
Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I’m getting pushed over to the LMT side due to seeing how much more powerful, durable, and just more “stuntable” if that makes since.

I think I’m going to spend extra to get an LMT RTR when they are released.

They are set to be available on Jan 15th on Amain, may even preorder if I get the funds before then.

I really like that it’s brushless, it has a black cage, flip top and more scale looking chassis/tires/wheels. It also seems like it has a lot more air control.

Agree with all points except scale looking chassis. That’s the one thing I don’t like about it, the flat rails/plates with a cage stuck on top. The SMT10 wins that battle hands down.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Agree with all points except scale looking chassis. That’s the one thing I don’t like about it, the flat rails/plates with a cage stuck on top. The SMT10 wins that battle hands down.

If you look at the clearance a 1:1 MT has, then compare it to the SMT10 and the LMT, the LMT has less, which in 1:1 gives lcg, which is what a 1:1 is all about.

If you want to see what I mean, look at the video posted above by BJoe of the driver of the Overkill Evolution MT overviewing the LMT. he’s the one that pointed it out to me.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-25-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Need help deciding!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help deciding djb2 Axial Wraith 6 10-08-2013 09:18 AM
Little help deciding Bansh88 Newbie General 11 02-05-2013 06:10 PM
Still need help deciding. lt1zwb96 General Crawlers 6 06-20-2009 10:00 PM
I need help deciding! scorpion_king HPI Wheely King 1 12-01-2007 05:41 AM