RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Mega/Monster Trucks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/mega-monster-trucks/)
-   -   SSD High Ratio for smt10? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/mega-monster-trucks/623842-ssd-high-ratio-smt10.html)

SuperDutyScaler 03-06-2021 08:01 PM

SSD High Ratio for smt10?

So I'm trying to give my smt10 one last try before I sell it. I'm running a 4000kv onyx system, 2s lipo and a 16t pinion currently with stock tires/wheels. The truck just isnt fast enough to jump or have fun bashing. I was told I can go up 2 teeth more in pinion size but I dont believe that's gonna help?
Anyways tonight I found on Google SSD makes a high ratio transmission kit and apparently running stock setup you'll gain roughly 8mph top end?

So anyone running it???
Is spending $50 gonna be worth it or is it just wasting money?

Steve g 03-06-2021 08:21 PM

Re: SSD High Ratio for smt10?

2 teeth on the pinion would help. I'd change the pinion before buying the transmission. Just keep an eye on temps. Your best option would be to use 3s, but not sure if your system can run 3s. Something around 3000 to 3500kv on 3s would be ideal, but the smt10 needs a ton of upgrades to make it reliable and fast.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sniper4370 03-06-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve g (Post 6071880)
2 teeth on the pinion would help. I'd change the pinion before buying the transmission. Just keep an eye on temps. Your best option would be to use 3s, but not sure if your system can run 3s. Something around 3000 to 3500kv on 3s would be ideal, but the smt10 needs a ton of upgrades to make it reliable and fast.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

^^ this, go 3S if you can. Remember, going taller gearing will gain top end but, at a point, you will lose low end punch.

SuperDutyScaler 03-07-2021 06:00 AM

My onyx is 3s ready
I guess I can try the largest pinion and see what happens....problem is I have this setup in a different brand monster truck and IT FREAKING RIPS! Thing does standing backflips, insane power/torque/top end. I can launch this truck to the moon Lol
Then you drive the smt10 and it's like a old AA powered rc from Kmart

meatmonkey 03-08-2021 06:44 AM

You can obtain a similar ratio of the SSD trans thru swapping your pinion/spur. Going up 2 teeth on the pinion won't get you to the SSD ratio. But going up 4 teeth will get you close. Pinions are much cheaper than transmissions. If you already have internal metal trans gears, then get a couple larger pinions. If you still have plastic trans gears the SSD trans starts to look like a better economical choice.

RecklessTrent91 03-16-2023 12:39 PM

Ive been running the SSD Trans in my smt since Ive had it with 0 issues from it. 3800kv motor and stock gearing in the axles. On 2s it feels kinda toyish but still fun, throw a 3s in it and its an absolute handful:twisted:. Only problem is getting everything in the drivetrain downline of the trans to hold up to the power and abuse reliably.