Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's Losi LMT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2021, 11:39 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Codyboy's Losi LMT

Thought I would start a build thread for this Gal.
So from reading I see a lot of axle breakage and I want to share what I'm doing to help that.

I pulled the rear axle and opened it up. I wanted to see if I could help it with some brass tubing I use to build Codyboy axles, but the dog bones wouldn't fit through the OD of the tubing. Darn
So gave it some thought and came up with this.

I have some traxxas frame rails I don't so I cut two pieces of rail to 2 1/4".

Next I deburred them and measured where to notch and drill mounting wholes.

Next I mixed some JB Weld Quik. I roughed up the inside of the housing and the back of the rails with my dremel, cleaned both with paint thinner and applied the JB Weld to the inside of the housing and pushed the rails into the JB Weld. I wiggled them around to get a good seat.

I let them cured for and hour and then drilled through the housing, counter sunk the holes on the outside of the housing and used flat head screws to help secure the rails a little better to the housings.

Not that hard to do, and I hope some of you try it.
Thanks for looking.

Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's Losi LMT

Good to see some LMT builds going on. It is probably the truck I have driven the most in the past couple months since it is super fun to rip around the yard like a full size one in a stadium.

Nice job on the axle braces.

There is so much empty space inside those housings, it really is amazing they released the truck like that. I designed some aluminum braces that I had a buddy machine do brace the housing up in the same way.

At least Losi has addressed this flaw and released some redesigned housings already. Hopefully they hold up better in the hands of the general public.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

More Codyboy recycling at its finest. I'm interested too see all the different braces that become available for the LMT axles. I want one so bad, but not if I have to invest nearly the cost of the truck into upgraded aluminum housings.

I didn't realize Losi already revised the housings. Are there any external clues to identify the updated housings?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I didn't realize Losi already revised the housings. Are there any external clues to identify the updated housings?
The new ones have 2 screws in the back of the housing holding on the outer sections.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Good to see some LMT builds going on. It is probably the truck I have driven the most in the past couple months since it is super fun to rip around the yard like a full size one in a stadium.

Nice job on the axle braces.

There is so much empty space inside those housings, it really is amazing they released the truck like that. I designed some aluminum braces that I had a buddy machine do brace the housing up in the same way.

At least Losi has addressed this flaw and released some redesigned housings already. Hopefully they hold up better in the hands of the general public.
Thanks for the input, I was just wondering why no one started a build thread, it is a cool addition to the Monster Truck scene. Nice design on your braces! As always I tried designing a upgrade that most could DIY. Like you my brain is always in overdrive trying how to make parts just a little better.

Quote:
More Codyboy recycling at its finest. I'm interested too see all the different braces that become available for the LMT axles. I want one so bad, but not if I have to invest nearly the cost of the truck into upgraded aluminum housings.

I have been RCing since the middle 80s, so you wouldn't believe how many parts and fabricating bins I have.
I think you should pull the trigger on a roller kit. Build it as you want and you could even start a build thread and share some of your great knowledge and building skills!
And to add, I sold my UDR this week so I did order some Vitavon axles for the old girl. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The new ones have 2 screws in the back of the housing holding on the outer sections.

Those look better, and if you wanted to take to the next level the webbing could be filled with JB Weld.
Are these available now?

If any of you have a LMT and don't want to do a build thread, please feel free to share your upgrades in this thread.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 03-18-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Huh I assumed these axles would be pretty beefy from the looks and shape of them, I didnt realize the inside was so empty.

Nice work on the bracing Ernie! Tinker on!
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Those look better, and if you wanted to take to the next level the webbing could be filled with JB Weld.
Are these available now?
They are available though most places that got the new housing sold out pretty quickly. Part # LOS242055 is just the housings and have only been available as the revised version, I would imagine all axle housing will be the revised versions when they come back in stock.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I ordered Treal axles about 2 hours before they announced the updated axle cases lol

Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb Crawler View Post
I ordered Treal axles about 2 hours before they announced the updated axle cases lol

They look nice, and who's to say the upgraded housing will be better? But it does look like the upgrade may do the trick.
Ernie
Old 04-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well it has been a while to post up about MT progress.
So I decided to spend the weekend working on this Big Boy. I got a few parts in last week so I installed new axles and limiting straps. Next, it needed a Ford body and painting is what I spent most of the weekend doing.

Gave us a chance to test the new Silhouette Cameo 4 paper cutter! I'm using some vinyl we have had for a while as painting stencil. Our whole family are huge Oregon Duck fans so that is the theme for the truck. My grandson will love it!

For anyone trying to paint in your garage a heater like this works great to dry paint, warm your body and bring your paint temp to room temp.

I used 3 shades of yellow and 3 of green to get the fade. A used little play on words for Hemistorm's Flying Dutchman truck to come up with a name.

The background color on the Duckmen is color changing, it really stands out in the sun light.

Chrome paint for the bumper.

I think you get a good shot of the Vitavon axles?

It took most of 2 days designing, cutting mask and painting the body.
I'm planning on doing a rear steer setup next.

Thanks for looking,
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 01-10-2022 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Way to make it your own.

You've got an eye for detail and precision so I ask you your initial impressions of the Vitavon housings?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:24 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Way to make it your own.

You've got an eye for detail and precision so I ask you your initial impressions of the Vitavon housings?
I think they are top of the line. I put one of their rear axles in my UDR and it solved the axle heat problem. Fit and trim is A+, I have not had a problem with tapped holes or alinement. They come with molded machined in C-hubs in the front with 0 degree, but I plan on making my own tie rod and link, so I can do as much toe as I want. The rear come with a 0 degree lock out (but are bolt on), I plan on adding rear steer so again I can adjust that one also.
The price is the same as the other guys. I like them, but as you know your paying for that quality!
Ernie

Codyboy's Losi LMT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LOSI LMT.....Thoughts? MattKimble Mega/Monster Trucks 98 03-21-2023 12:17 PM
Siggy's Losi® LMT Solid Axle Monster Truck Siggy Mega/Monster Trucks 16 08-10-2022 09:17 PM
Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW CODYBOY Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 130 04-14-2020 04:06 AM
Codyboy's MRC that wants to be........ CODYBOY Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 49 06-18-2015 08:05 PM