Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Monsterizing my CR01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2023, 11:26 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Monsterizing my CR01

I think it's time for a change. Since I've got several of these, all crawlers and trail trucks, how about finally converting one into a monster truck? Been wanting to commit to it for a while...**Chassis is pretty much perfect for it and it's built like a tank. Grabbed the wrenches and got to work...*

Here's what I started with - crawled pretty good actually, but out of my four it's the best candidate for the conversion. Already set up for 4WS and had a ton of suspension travel.

The custom chassis was 2 holes shorter per side, and I needed the extra length so I went back to the stock chassis for now. Flipped it around so the battery is now in the back. I tore down the axles and removed the HD lockers and went back to diffs. That took....well, forever and a day pretty much. Those axles have a lot of parts!

Worried about torque twist, I ditched the long soft shocks and went back to a semi-stock set-up which stays relatively flat. Went with springs and stand along shocks - love this setup. I didn't want a ton of travel and high CG, so the barrel springs were fine. Soft up front and medium out back.*

I had to make some standoffs for the shocks to raise them up a touch - they act as travel limiters for the springs so I had to make sure they didn't extend too far. If I had used the longer standard springs, I could have probably gotten away with it. Shocks are de-springed Axial Icons with 25wt. oil all around.*

There's a 22t Kyosho Outlaw brushed 540 that's older than the hills hiding under there with a 24t pinion. I had a Holmes torque ring left over from a previous project so I slapped it on. No idea if it'll make a difference or not, but thought it couldn't hurt. Starting with a brushed/1060 combo on 2S for now until I get it sorted. *

Shaved skid for crawler duty, should work out fine here too, and some random Axial and Element driveshafts. I'm looking for a matching set of lower links, either blue or silver. They are here somewhere on something somewhere.*

Threw on some Proline Destroyers to get an idea of the stance. I like it! Needs a set of wheels with some more offset, that's for sure. The stance is way too narrow.

I had to order a new Cliffhanger body - I like the shape and it honestly it looks pretty good monster-ized,*but I had already drilled 2 sets of holes in it, and needed a third due to the change in chassis length. Once I get to three holes in the hood, in the trash it goes. I'm an RC hoarder, but not that much of a hoarder! **
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2023, 04:43 AM   #2
MSB
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Monsterizing my CR01

Looks like a great start!! keep us updated
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

JConcepts makes those monster truck wheels in either 2.2 or 2.6 I think... they would be a good look for it.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You read my mind sir... Jconcepts Midwest 2.2's are en-route!
Old 06-03-2023, 05:56 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Jconcepts 2.2 Midwest wheels arrived today, in white flavor. I think they'll look great! Built with the middle offset option.

Of course, nothing is ever easy - the hubs are so thick the axle doesn't come out far enough to get a nut on. Nothing a set of TG10 wide axles can't solve! Of course, I only have 2 on hand, so I had to order another set. Body and tires should be here early next week.
Old 06-03-2023, 02:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Check the older Hpi rear axles for the mt,Snr they were wider iirc.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:42 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

^^ Good thinking - They do, and I have a few sets but the pin hole spacing is a bit different. Needs quite a few shims to space it out. Could have made it work, but decided to just order the TG10, they were $8

Tires, axles and body all showed up yesterday.

Went with Jconcepts Ranger Blues, I have them on another CR01 and I think the size is perfect for this chassis. The others are on 3D printed wheels with built in offset - a little too much, so I went with new wheels. The planetary covers are out getting a coat of black paint.

Stance is spot on for a mini monster

New cliffhanger body, sitting a bit higher than before. Love the way it's shaping up!

I still get a bit of rub up front when turning and the suspension is compressed, I'll wait and see if it's an issue when running before doing some trimming

And yes, i did eventually tighten the kingpins.

Last edited by OSRC; 06-07-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:24 AM   #8
RCC Addict

It's looking good! I dig it!!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:28 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Finished the CR01 monster conversion, I think it came out pretty good! Tires are the perfect size, and the cliffhanger looks pretty decent up there.

I took the chassis out for a test drive before I finished the body and it zips along pretty good. Plenty of acceleration, but not a lot of top end - exactly like a monster truck should. it stays pretty flat under acceleration which is kinda suprising. I'll post up some action shots as soon as mother nature cooperates!

Old 07-10-2023, 09:39 AM   #10
RCC Addict

It looks great!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:22 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, great use of the cr-01 platform
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote