Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Dual Shock Dampening?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2023, 01:52 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dual Shock Dampening?

Question for the suspension gurus:

Does dual shocks equal double damping? E.G: each shock having 35WT oil = 70WT oil? Assuming identical pistons, seals, shaft size, attachment geometry...

I ask because I'm about to install dual shocks at each corner of my LMT, and am trying to figure out where to start my trial and error shock tuning. One of the shocks at each corner will be sprung, but I plan to have oil in both shocks.

My truck is a bit over damped currently with Losi 35WT oil in each shock. These shocks are pretty big and take a good amount of oil, so I'm hoping not to waste too much with a ridiculous amount of trial and error.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dual Shock Dampening?

It sounds like your just adding more shocks for the looks of them so why not just run the extra set as dummy shocks and just add a few drops of oil to keep them lubed up and just tune the 1 set of shocks
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:09 AM   #3
Ots
Quarry Creeper

So two shocks and one spring. Second shock will increase damping no doubt. Oil viscosity is complicated so I would be cautious with the math though.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks. And yes, it is partially for looks. If the scale look was the only benefit I gained, I'd still add the second shock.

But if there is a performance benefit to be gained, I'd like to gain it. The only truck I've ever had with dual shocks was my old UDR, and man that suspension was dialed. Moreso than any single shock truck I've had. That truck had a similar set-up, two shocks for each wheel. One sprung, one not sprung, both filled with 30WT oil.

So it appears there is some performance benefit, but I assume it comes down to how the two shocks play with each other, and how to make them do that.

I'll probably just start with very light oil (15-20WT) oil in both and see how it feels. If at the end of the day I can't figure it out, and run one shock dry, I'll be content with that.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Thanks. And yes, it is partially for looks. If the scale look was the only benefit I gained, I'd still add the second shock.

But if there is a performance benefit to be gained, I'd like to gain it. The only truck I've ever had with dual shocks was my old UDR, and man that suspension was dialed. Moreso than any single shock truck I've had. That truck had a similar set-up, two shocks for each wheel. One sprung, one not sprung, both filled with 30WT oil.

So it appears there is some performance benefit, but I assume it comes down to how the two shocks play with each other, and how to make them do that.

I'll probably just start with very light oil (15-20WT) oil in both and see how it feels. If at the end of the day I can't figure it out, and run one shock dry, I'll be content with that.
The shock pistons on that udr are movin pretty fast that causes pressure in side the shock that causes the shocks to heat up having the second shock helps keep the shocks cool so you dont get shock fade from hot shock oil

On the monster truck you probably wont drive it hard enuff to heat up the shock oil enuff to notice a differance

But notice i sead probably because it is posable to do lol but you would be pushing it pretty hard
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I'll leave the desert terrain for my desert RC cars. The monster truck really just needs to soak up big hits, and look good doing so.

My shock mounts should come in a few days, and I'll start with 15WT shock oil in all 8 shocks. Hopefully I can update my LMt build thread within a few days. I've been doing quite a bit of work on it.

Dual Shock Dampening? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Variable dampening shocks for my rock racer ??? ShanenooX Axial Yeti 1 01-22-2017 02:35 AM
Dual Shock Setup VTHDAN4467 Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 01-22-2016 10:32 PM
No srpings, what for dampening ? twisted Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 11 12-09-2009 10:51 PM
rebound and dampening wrightcs77 General Crawlers 9 06-27-2008 02:27 AM