Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Michigan

Notices

Thread: Crawling in Kalamazoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Crawling in Kalamazoo

Hey all. now that the snow is going away I got out today to check out this spot near my house here in Kzoo, this spot is just off I-94 on Cork st., new overflow basin for industrial park.

Name:  P3150024.JPG
Views: 1039
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  P3150023.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  78.9 KB

Now a couple a shot of the AX-10 doing it's thing.:-P

Name:  P3150029.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  P3150031.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  68.2 KB

this spot is visable from the road (Cork st.) just off Sprinkle rd.. mabey do a gtg there this summer.

Matthew (Gyyro)
Gyyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

A little far for us East siders but looks very cool. How steep would estimate it to be? Or how long from top to bottom? It still amazes me how many spots somebody can come up with around industrial parks and freeways. Keep up the good work!
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

put something togehter I would travel for some crawling to Kzoo in a min
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would say its' about 60-80 ft. from waters edge to the top ,and prolly 30% grade. just a guess though.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You guys won't travel to compete? As a racer like Bobby, you just have to. The few spots we have planned for MIRCA are very local to a few and only Auburn Hills even comes close to this in challenge. Personally as a MIRCA club representing all of MI I think its only right we have a far trip for the West side guys.

I used to live in the Emerald Park apartments about 1/4 mile from this place. These pics don't even do it justice, there is a ton of rocks, plenty of elevation changes and all that. Even some water for the wild guys. I'd estimate the elevation change at about 60 feet.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

im not apposed to a travel meet....

only problem is that at least 4 of our members are currently without jobs...kinda makes it hard to travel at $3.50 a gallon ya know
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm not opposed to a long distance GTG. But I also see some use for those Mini Vans our wives are driving! I got one that will make the trip and will seat 7 so I figure 4 guys and there junk should fill it up. Even at $3.50 a gallon with 4 splitting the cost it should be affordable. Three mini vans and the whole club could go, or at least a good representation.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

well...i aint got no mini van..but i do have a 4 door dakota.....and some huge tupperware boxes that i can fit at least 6 rigs in ...so i guess i could fit 4 humans and all there rigs in the back
Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well that will do! Just not the same MPG as a mini van. In fact, my wifes got a 1 7/8" class I hitch and 4 wire trailer harness if someone had a small utility trailer I would designate it as the tow rig and could fit a full 7 in it.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

now thats a damn good idea....but i dont have a trailer

may have to get our west coast counterparts to figure out a date to come play on the other side of the state...

Last edited by saul; 03-16-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

that looks like a good spot, set up a play date i'm in.:-P
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i need to come to one of these, i just ordered a wheely king, i had a clod but sold it it was getting to expeive for what i wanned to do to it, but yeah i go to college in muskegon, but my home work in petoskey, dont know too many people up here that crawl. but if you guys are having a gathering sometime in the next 3 months i would be more then happy to try and come, that is if it isnt too far of a drive.
bugz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Hey all just thought I'd get on and post up, went to the spot again today, try out the new badlands I put on the ax-10 (sorry no pics) man what a difference they make.

Anyways just let me know of a day that would be good for most and I'll try to set up something.

btw Binary I live at Lincolnshire townhouses just down from Emerald terrace.

gonna try to shoot some video of the spot this week weather permitting.

Hope to gett to some stuff this summer with my son he has a WK basher but I think he may want a crawler/scale basher truck if it's even possible? who knows with kids. lol
Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #14

i live a half an hour away from kzoo and would love to meet up and actually meet some of u guys, pick a date and ill show up too. would love to test our my rig on a real course and not just bricks.
pearlmapexdrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Hi all Was thinking about what some of the other guys said about carpooling.
I have a Scion xB holds 4 and gets 40ish mpg if we want to try and hit an event with the east side guys.

Let me know. few guys splitting the gas wouldn't be too bad that way.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #16

I think I know where that spot is too - isn't that on the old oil field site? If it is on cork st - north side of the road near or on the way to the bottom of the hill than that is it. I live in Portage, grew up in Vicksburg, and have been in the area all of my life.

I just put together my first AX-10 and have been looking for a good spot to play. I know the guys at the LHS and have been talking to them about a possible crawling spot in the back of the lot - but nothing is done yet. If they know people will come it makes it easier to get them to commit.

Has anyone tried to do a Michigan crawling comp? I do not know how many people have crawlers in the region - but a trophy comp might be fun.

Ingoldx1
Ingoldx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #17

I'm down the freeway in Hartford. I'm so gonna have to check that spot out for myself. My wheely king is itching to get on the rocks.
blackomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingoldx1 View Post
I think I know where that spot is too - isn't that on the old oil field site? If it is on cork st - north side of the road near or on the way to the bottom of the hill than that is it. I live in Portage, grew up in Vicksburg, and have been in the area all of my life.

I just put together my first AX-10 and have been looking for a good spot to play. I know the guys at the LHS and have been talking to them about a possible crawling spot in the back of the lot - but nothing is done yet. If they know people will come it makes it easier to get them to commit.

Has anyone tried to do a Michigan crawling comp? I do not know how many people have crawlers in the region - but a trophy comp might be fun.

Ingoldx1
Yeah that is the spot your thinking of, and I have talked to the guys at R&L some about the crawling track as well.

hopefully the snow won't stick around to much longer ,but hey it's michigan so who knows.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #19

Yeah I know - and to think I just rode the motorcycle around Thursday!

I just drove by that site you posted picks from and it does have some decent looking stuff (under the snow anyway).
Ingoldx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyyro View Post
Yeah that is the spot your thinking of, and I have talked to the guys at R&L some about the crawling track as well.
I think Jones is talking like a coarse there.
ETOWNE is offline   Reply With Quote