Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Michigan

Notices

Thread: Michiganders suspention of choice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Red face Michiganders suspention of choice...

So what is your preference? I have been reading about droop suspension, and most people whom are chatting about it are from California. Where they have 20 foot high sand stones. Everyone agrees that you should base your suspension on the terrain you run on. What do you find works best here in Michigan, where we play on rock piles and Gravel pits?

Currently I have a stock setup. Tonight I am going to try driving my truck around with some old carpet racing springs I have laying around. I am thinking about trying a droop setup but if they won't work well with our enviroment (see rocks) then I will probally stay away from it. Just trying to get everyone's 2 cents.
WyldWeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Well I run a Moxter chassis (Bender knockoff) with Traxxas Big Bore shocks, with Losi white springs (1.8 spring rate) in the front and Losi yellow springs (2.0 spring rate) in the rear with stock piston's and 20wt oil in all four shocks. my anti squat is set nuetral, with TCS boomerang 4 link plates. I use Drastic sports aluminum wheels (MSD's) no weight added, with Losi rock Claws with Proline STD. foams. Works well
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've tried a droop on rock piles etc. and IMO it sucks. You just plain need the belly clearence of a sprung setup
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidjf7 View Post
I've tried a droop on rock piles etc. and IMO it sucks. You just plain need the belly clearence of a sprung setup
Funny the top 2.2 Guys from the last comp at Twisted were all running 100% droop.

Droop is more predicatble and easier to run...that is if you are willing to try some different shock oils.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not true, one of our members just placed 12th at the Battlegrounds with a full droop setup.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Funny the top 2.2 Guys from the last comp at Twisted were all running 100% droop.

Droop is more predicatble and easier to run...that is if you are willing to try some different shock oils.
Funny how I said IMO
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Ok... since you brought it up... I am thinking about coming out to the twisted comp in September. What chances does a rig have without a Dig unit?

Very good information guys. Thanks! I think I will still give the droop a chance. Tearing my rig apart keeps me out of trouble... well... not really... but you get the drift.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You could win at Twisted without a Dig...it all depends on your lines and the course...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Binary. I am really trying to get that weekend opened up so I can make it. I am really excited to see some others crawl. I have been watching to many "championship" competitions.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i run droop on both of my rigs and i really like it

and as far as dig goes.... imo ... it is for making corrections in driver error....

ps

i have dig on my comp rig...lol
saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Funny how I said IMO
Well comps and competition will give you a better idea on how suspension works.

Some run springs, some don't. It just so happens that Droop wins a bit more in Michigan on the rocks as mentioned by Wyld.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

"Mr. Porkchop " suggested i run droop and i love it so far i have almost 3inches of belly clearance also on the widow chassis with
axial shocks(alum bodies)
front 1000 wt diff oil
rear 3000 wt diff lube

I like the way the truck settles and holds firm to terrain

thanks for the kind words on the camp also I am trying to make it as good as it gets I will get there sometime this decade I hope
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

It still all comes down to the driver. You can still have the best rig/setup and if you don't know how to use it, your still just like every other rig out there. I'm not trying to be negitive, just pointing out a fact.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
It still all comes down to the driver. You can still have the best rig/setup and if you don't know how to use it, your still just like every other rig out there. I'm not trying to be negitive, just pointing out a fact.
you are always negative but most of the time correct I look good but cant drive for shit and i do this for fun and to make sure you guys have fun thats how I win !!!!!!
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

What about half droop? I am currently trying out a droop in the front, it looks promising, just gotta tweak the shock oil and springs
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:

I run 3 an 1 oil in my shocks. They have no dampening at all. It depends on driving style.

Quote:
My rig is full droop and has 3 3/8" clearance. I also run a shorter WB 11 3/4" . Again depends on driving style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldWeazel View Post
Ok... since you brought it up... I am thinking about coming out to the twisted comp in September. What chances does a rig have without a Dig unit?

Very good information guys. Thanks! I think I will still give the droop a chance. Tearing my rig apart keeps me out of trouble... well... not really... but you get the drift.
I also do not run dig you need to look at the course and plan your turns. I ran dig on my first comp rig and discovered that on the round rocks we end up running on around here it gets you into more trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saul View Post
i run droop on both of my rigs and i really like it

and as far as dig goes.... imo ... it is for making corrections in driver error....

ps

i have dig on my comp rig...lol
I will agree with that as well as using it to help unload the drive line while side hilling.

Quote:
What about half droop? I am currently trying out a droop in the front, it looks promising, just gotta tweak the shock oil and springs
Thats the way to go about it trial and error. The way you drive has more to do with the end result than the setup.

Try different things and make changes based on over all drivablity. Try to get a neutral rig set up first. If you set your rig so it climbs hills the best it may not work on a down hill well.
There are other things to factor in as well. Weight distribution as well as COG are big factors to take into account.
If I may give you some tips. Get the weight in your rig as low as possible also try to bring to weight as close to the center of the chassis as you can it will help you rigs weight transfer from rock to rock in a more predictable manner. this will make for a smooth running rig that you can climb over almost anything.

Last edited by hitman46mod; 08-08-2008 at 10:34 AM.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote