Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Michigan

Notices

Thread: WSM G2G planning/ chit- chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #201
RCC Addict

Hey guys, thanks for the great time today!!!
Even though I only ran through round 2, it was a lot of fun to be running a rig again.

Thx for the tips on improvements and a BIG thanks to Shane (sp?) for lending me some different wheels/foams/tires to try out!!

I will have to get down to the Friday night runs at least once a month, this fall/winter.

Thx again!!
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #202
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the great time today!!!
Even though I only ran through round 2, it was a lot of fun to be running a rig again.

Thx for the tips on improvements and a BIG thanks to Shane (sp?) for lending me some different wheels/foams/tires to try out!!

I will have to get down to the Friday night runs at least once a month, this fall/winter.

Thx again!!
No problem Scott. Were glad you come to check our new course out. Hopefully you will be able to stay longer next time.

Schane F.
dasmonkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #203
RCC Addict

Hey Schane,

My 2yr old spiked a 103 fever last night and today, so I stayed home with her. During her nap time I used the time to work on my torsion 2.2 (instead of the trim in the basement, leaves in the yard, broken AC knob on the car).

Siped the 5.6" Losi Claws I have. Not the best tires, but shouild improve them.
Ordering some Krawler Tape to condition them with.

Found that I had a spare set of better TLT knuckles and second set on my scaler. The design of these allowed 20% more turning.
I ground the inside edges of these a little to get another 2-3deg, and then scalloped the C's a little to get even a couple more.
Now the DIG really hooks up and will practically do a U-turn with the inner rear wheel planted.

Thx for the TIPS!!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #204
Rock Stacker

Wow 20% more! That's allot more that what you had the other night. Sounds like you can turn as tight as I can now. The next time you come out we can go over a few more mods you can do to your crawler.
dasmonkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #205
RCC Addict

Seems to turn the same both directions in 4wd.
With DIG, it runs sharper one direction then the other?
At first glance, the wheel angle appears to be the same both directions. TLT difs are offcenter. Could that be the source of the difference?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #206

Just a guess on the turning/draging ratio difference....even with the rear wheels locked the gear set in the rear axel wil still be trying to turn the driveshaft which is now fixed/locked to the chassis. If that is the case one side of the axel will lift relative to the chassis and reduce traction to that side when the dig is engaged. At the other end the driveshaft twist on the front axel may be giving better traction to one wheel as well. When the one that lifts in the front is to the inside of the turn it would slip better and let the truck come around faster.

To prove this theroy, set the truck on level ground...tape a couple of toothpics to the sides of the chassis to mark the chassis ride height. Now engage the dig and drag the truck....no turning will be required....if my theroy is correct the chassis will twist one side up a bit.
nathanschmoekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #207
RCC Addict

I bet you're right!
Prob do not see the tire leave the ground, but it probably unloads that tire enough that it slips more then turning the other direction.

Nate, I think I may have to get out there more often on Friday nights this winter. Prob not every week, but maybe every 2-3weeks.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #208

I'm with you on that thought. I too will be showing up there a bit more often as well. I just have too much other stuff going on in the summer time. My only other winter hobby is snowboarding and since I can't afford that very often, I guess my recreational choices are clear............

Let me know if you plan on a "regular" schedual.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #209

....anybody still on this thread???

I'm calling for a head count.....If you are subscribed to this, please chime in.

The wheels are in motion for a more scale/ trail truck series. Completely informal, follow the leader type driving is the aim. Winches and tow lines are encouraged.

There are enough people (4-5) who have backyard courses now that we can plan one GTG per month with out repeting locations. Throw in a few other random spots like Grandhaven lighthouse, and we should be able to have something going every other weekend at least.

Lets not let this summer slip by like last year...
Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #210

Thumbs up Get together have so great fun

COUNT ON ME MAY BE EVERY ONE COULD GET TOGETHER SOME TIME SOON SO WITH THE GUY WITH BACK YARD ROCK TO SEE IF THAY NEED HELP OR ANY IDEAS I HAVE A GOOD START BUT COULD USE SOME IDEAS & HELP MAY BE WE COULD TO HELP EVERY ONE WHO HAS A COURSES IN BACK YARD AND HOPE TO GET EVERY ONE COURSES DONE BY GOOD WEATHER SO ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS DRINK & kill some hard asssss rock hope this is a good
digger48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #211
RCC Addict

I'm still scrib'd.
Only scaler I have is the 1.9 Unimog. Really should be a 1.5.
Some shocks, wheels and tires would help it some, but I found out by double narrowing the TLTs under it, it tips way to easy.

Looking for someturned down TLT shocks or something that size.

My rocks are in the shade, so still have 12" of snow on them.

Got caught up since xmas building a 1:20 MOA rig. Gearmotors are holding up. Leads on other, but more mill time. Burned myself out a bit in Jan and first couple weeks of Feb.

2.2sport - R2DII ate some gears - I'm not that impressed with the quality. I have got another in, but need new DIG linkage. RC4WD driveshafts are not holding up either.

Had some fun last month with the Kyosho Blizzard.
Now bashing a $25 RC18T, soon to become an R model. Kids like the speed too.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #212

Default friday night

is any one going to be at bfg this friday 3/12/2010
digger48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #213

I'll be there too (bfg)

Scott??
Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #214
RCC Addict

50/50 chance.

2.2 torsion rig is back up and running with spare gearbox and a make-shift emaxx front driveshaft.
1.9 runs. Not sure its up to the task. Still hunting for shocks and the right wheel/tires.

Little under the weather right now, but wife said it was OK. Might stop buy for an hour or so.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #215
RCC Addict

Sorry Nate, my scaler is not set up well right now, and my head cold makes me want to go veg tonight.
Next week is out. Maybe 26th. Got the itch, too tired to scratch it right now.

I have some 1.5 wheels on the way.
Looking at tires now.
Keep hunting leads for shocks. Need to get the front shocks mounted outboard - more scale looking and less articulation.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #216
RCC Addict

Part timer chime in here..............
Wondering who will be at BFG Friday 3/26 with scalers for a follow the leader?

I got some shocks in for my narrowed 1/20 Mog. Hope to have it done this week, minus updated rubber.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #217
Quarry Creeper

I try to be out every friday night.
itsjust me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #218
Quarry Creeper

have a great start on my back yard trail. anyone know where i can get a few pick up loads of rocks.
itsjust me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #219
Quarry Creeper

Cool Ya' looking 4 a place to get some Free Rock's ya' say

I could show ya' a very easy get in to & out of alil' hidden place that's got like 1000 ton's of free rock's to haul away - but there all about the size of a foot ball or smaller' for any bigger one's then that are all MINE - but' this place is right in Lapeer,MI thou' brotha' - But' trust me - you'd be going home with ahell' of a load as much as you could haul - and saved yourself alot of money that ya' did'nt have to pay for them - MY POINT' - and I'm fixing to leave the state soon and I'd like to let some fella's in on this place - as me and my stepbrother was going to start hauling um' out of there use'ing his bobcat to scoop them up and his dump truck & trailer to haul about 5 ton's per load hauling them out of there and then make some good money off them saleing them to homeowner's at a cheaper price per ton haul and dump'd off right to the homeowner' - compaired to what the gravel yard's sale a damm' ton of rock haul to you for,...That's just my 2 bit's you ask so I gave my answer' -( this is all LEGAL as well')- for I'd never just go and take rock's from anywhere just to be taken them' -Why shame on you' if ya' was thinking of doing just that' - Rotflmao' - Scoot'er

Last edited by scootertrash; 03-22-2010 at 11:43 PM.
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #220
RCC Addict

Landscape co. in West Olive (north of Holland) installed a load of this grey angular rock in a water garden a few years back, then had to pull it all because it would freeze and break apart. They let me pick up a couple loads, basketball sized for $1 per rock. Prob wants $2-3 for the bigger stuff.
I kinda talked the guy into it a bit, but the stuff has been sitting on a offsite lot they have.
Not sure I have the info anymore, but I'll look.

I found some on Craigslist.

I know where you can get some free broken concrete also.