Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Michigan

Notices

Thread: Potential crawling area: Dexter Main St. bridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Default Potential crawling area: Dexter Main St. bridge

Ever since I found the crawler/scaler stuff, I've been looking around everywhere I go for areas that would work for driving once I get my rig(s).

One that I think has serious potential is the new bridge in Dexter. They widened the bridge over the Huron river this year and they edged the river as it passes under the bridge and the areas directly under the bridge with rocks anywhere from 1' to 3' or so in rough diameter.

You can actually see some of it in Google street view, but most of the rocks are out of view under the bridge: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dexter...93.69,,0,17.92

They're currently working on the bank to the SE that is shown in google as covered with straw, so it's all torn up and would be AWESOME.

There's a lot of natural area that used to be underwater (there was a small dam under the bridge that formed a lake on the south side and they removed). It will eventually be a park, but for now I'd kill to have a rig to play with there.

There's also a BIG drainage ditch lined with similar rocks coming out from the hill under repair and running to the river that looked perfect for scalers.

Interesting thing about this is right at the top of the hill they're tearing up is a BP with a Subway and on the other side of the bridge there's an A&W drive in. All of "downtown" Dexter is right there too (easy to see in Google street view). Underneath the bridge would be in the shade all day for running in the summer and I'd have to think you could come up with new courses all year long... there's also a sidwalk that runs under the bridge right through the rock field on the east side of the river to connect the soon-to-be park on the south to the existing one on the north.

I'll try to stop by and take pictures to post, just wanted to throw this out there for anyone local and looking for new, easy places with lots of facilities/food/parking/etc right nearby in Washtenaw.
bigwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I'm interested, hope to see pics soon

Later
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'm not to far from there, but I have a very busy weekend.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #4

Pictures: Main Street Bridge and Warrior Creek Park

Keep in mind that I'm new and have never even been to an event/get together, so I don't really know anything other than what I've seen in the pictures/videos on these sites. Hopefully this is worthy. You'll learn that I like pictures, hope you're ready...

This is me standing on the northeast side of the river looking across to the west side of the river and bridge, it's accessible from in front of the store you see in the upper right. The far bank right at the bridge is probably the biggest of the rocks , the ones you see on the far bank to the right might not be of use as they're more of a vertical wall/bank.

The rocks on my side here are smaller and probably good for scalers.

Closeup of the largest rocks on the northwest side.

This shows just how long this stretch is on the east side. The rocks are different sizes as you go along, right under the bridge there's some mud/sand between larger rocks. I'd estimate it at about 75 yards long in total. The parking lot for the park is just to my left here.

These are the rocks on the bank down from the entrance, not huge, but I can't wait to get a rig on them. Some fun climbing I would think.

Depending how the river is flowing, there's some shallower areas in the river, but the current is pretty quick. Would probably have to be real low/slow to play on them.

The rocks on the west side of the river go all the way under the bridge.

You can see the A&W with the green roof in the background just across the bridge.

Maybe those could be fun, but not much room beside the river.

Looking back to the north.

The rocks at the entrance...

You can see the sediment built up around the rocks right under the bridge on the left side of this pic.

This is probably the other area of the largest rocks, on the southeast corner of the bridge. This is leading towards the soon-to-be park on the southeast bank that used to be under the pond.

Another angle.

This is the drainage ditch leading from a culvert that comes out under that far hill to the river. It's grown up a lot since I first saw it, but it still looks like awesome scaler territory.

The bank under construction and the BP with the Subway.

The southwest corner rocks.

The big rocks/culvert:

The parking lot right @ the park and

On the northeast side of the park, there's a big hill that looks like it could be fun for follow the leader or hillclimbs.

And had to get a couple in with my 1:1 Scrambler.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good spot, I like the hill with the stop sign at the top. It's close to home too.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks like quite a good spot for scalers, 1.9's and 2.2's to me.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Looks like quite a good spot for scalers, 1.9's and 2.2's to me.
That was my uninformed thought: there's some of everything and a pretty good bit of each.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

BUMP....
Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
BUMP....
Did you try it?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
Did you try it?
SH...YEAH!!!! Good find, I've been there a bunch. The gun range is across the river...I go there about ounce a week
Old 10-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #11

What do you run there? I was all set to pull the trigger on a rig until some unexpected life crap came up...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

2.2 comp and 1.9 scaler, I have yet to see anyone else there running RC trucks. last time I was there was about July, Good place for scalers...
Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #13

i see the pot head hill all the people from school go to, haha dumb asses do it right behind the police station
corvette crawle is offline   Reply With Quote