Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Michigan

Notices

Thread: Anyone wanna adopt a newb?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Anyone wanna adopt a newb?

Newbie looking for a crawler god! Ok maybe not a god but someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to teach. I bought an Axial based tuber from a guy, and it has more bells and whistles than I can figure out how to use on my own. Sidewinder esc that I have no idea how to program, and a Spektrum DX3.0 radio that has so many buttons that I feel like I need an IT degree to use. I know I can learn but am feeling really over whelmed at the moment. Yes this is my first rig. Please, please, please pass on your wisdom!

Thanks
FlatTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to RCCrawler! Everyone here would be glad to help you with anything you need. Any questions, just ask!

You a firefighter?? Just noticed your avatar, I've been a firefighter for the past 6 years!

Anyways, down to the crawler business. Your ESC is very easily setup using what is called the Castle Link connector. It is a USB interface that allows you to program the speed control through your computer! Getting a Castle Link would be one of the first things to do.

Now the radio. There are some very simple adjustments to make to your radio to maximize your crawler. First, ENDPOINTS, make sure that your endpoints are adjusted properly for your steering, Basically endpoints limit how far the servo will travel to the right and the left. Too far and you will risk damaging your servo over time, Not enough, you will lose steering.

That is basically the most important function of that radio. If you have a Dig, then setting the 3rd channel endpoints will come into play also.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Welcome to RCCrawler! Everyone here would be glad to help you with anything you need. Any questions, just ask!

You a firefighter?? Just noticed your avatar, I've been a firefighter for the past 6 years!

Anyways, down to the crawler business. Your ESC is very easily setup using what is called the Castle Link connector. It is a USB interface that allows you to program the speed control through your computer! Getting a Castle Link would be one of the first things to do.

Now the radio. There are some very simple adjustments to make to your radio to maximize your crawler. First, ENDPOINTS, make sure that your endpoints are adjusted properly for your steering, Basically endpoints limit how far the servo will travel to the right and the left. Too far and you will risk damaging your servo over time, Not enough, you will lose steering.

That is basically the most important function of that radio. If you have a Dig, then setting the 3rd channel endpoints will come into play also.
Thanks for the advice and the welcome. I have been a volunteer firefighter for 15 years now, Lieutenant for the past 5.

Not sure if my esc will work with the castle link, i dont see a plug in the side of it for the cable. But i did see in a youtube video of one that was pluged into what looked like the plug going to the rx. Need to contact Castle to learn more.

And I have learned that most everyone on here is very willing to help, but I would love to have someone be able to teach face to face so I can actually see it done. Visual aids work best for my pea brain..LOL!

Thanks again I will be looking into what you said.

No I dont have a dig. Good lord I cant handle what I have!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Glad to know ya brother, I've also been a lieutenant for 2 years!

Anyways, There is no plug-in on the side of the sidewinder, You actually use the signal wire that you plug into your receiver to program it. Just take the wire, and plug it into the Castle Link and then program.

Just check Castles website, Its pretty easy!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Nice to meet you too! Thanks for the info, that must be what I saw in the video. I will check it out.

Be safe!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Just help you with the conceptual areas of crawling. I dont need to set up a college fund or anything do I ?
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Just help you with the conceptual areas of crawling. I dont need to set up a college fund or anything do I ?
LOL, no! No college fund needed. Just looking for someone to help me setup my rig, show me the ropes of how to crawl, answer questions, etc.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

If you cant find anyone local you can PM me and I will try to help.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you want to take a little drive, Sundays we get together in saginaw (See Tri city thread for pics) and run all day. There is usually at least 5-10 or more people there. Everybody is willing to offer any help they can. I drive 80 miles one way every sunday, I live 20 miles south of cadillac.

I'd be willing to help you out as well, Pm me if you need something. Also i usually have my laptop with me so i can program Castle ESC's.

Chris

Last edited by chris4207; 01-28-2010 at 06:20 PM.
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks everyone i really appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4207 View Post
If you want to take a little drive, Sundays we get together in saginaw (See Tri city thread for pics) and run all day. There is usually at least 5-10 or more people there. Everybody is willing to offer any help they can. I drive 80 miles one way every sunday, I live 20 miles south of cadillac.

I'd be willing to help you out as well, Pm me if you need something. Also i usually have my laptop with me so i can program Castle ESC's.

Chris
___X2 yup',___ I'd say hook up with the TRI-CITY-CRAWLER'S 4 Sur' And MiRCa' as well pal'. - Scoot'er
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Are you guys talink about the Bay City/ Tri City thread? And does anyone have an address for me to put into my GPS? I think I am going to try and come over and run with you guys this Sunday, but not for sure. My wife has to work and I will need to find a sitter for my 8 year old son. I am hopeing my castle cable comes in the mail tomorrow or I will def. need someone to program it for me.

Thanks Guys!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yes, that is the thread. PM Clayton78 for an address. Can't remember what it is right of the top of my head. Hope to see you there.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4207 View Post
Yes, that is the thread. PM Clayton78 for an address. Can't remember what it is right of the top of my head. Hope to see you there.
Ok i will get ahold of him. Are you going to be there with your laptop if i dont get my Caastle cable in the mail tomorrow? LOL:?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Yes