Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Youngblood's Commando

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Hahaha! Yeah, I'll have it with me at motorama. Im sure we'll have a micro comp at the hotel Saturday night.

Layed down some paint today, its not the exact color of my 1:1, but its pretty close. As you can see, I got a little carried away with the dremel while I was removing the fender flares in the rear. Time for some styrene body work.

It flexes pretty well with the weight of the body and everything on there. Thats a bic lighter in the background for size reference.

Ditched the hinged hood idea and stuck some magnets on the underside of the hood and on top of the esc. I rolled it on the little losi cardboard course, and the hood did'nt pop off, so I think it will work. Thats it for now, the next big obstacle is the roll cage. -YB

youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

that looks soo sick like i dont even want to buy a micro rock crawler nemore cuz how gay it is compared 2 urs lol.
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

LOL it really is the best one yet.

i hope you dont mind Bob biting your style in a few weeks
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Go for it BeelzeBob! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Mini... no, Micro update.

Mounted tailgate, taillights, and windshield/butterfly glass. Spilled some CA on the tailgate. Going to have to sand it off, and touch it up. Also started the body work on the rear fenders. -YB

Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Looks great! Those rear shackles (could just be the pic) look like they're angled back like the springs are a bit long....will limit uptravel a bit, should droop nice though. Tell ya what though, it's totally impressive how it's coming together!
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDuuChild View Post
Looks great! Those rear shackles (could just be the pic) look like they're angled back like the springs are a bit long....will limit uptravel a bit, should droop nice though. Tell ya what though, it's totally impressive how it's coming together!
Actually, they have the perfect angle on them, if they were staight up and down the shackle could flip up and get stuck when the suspension dropped. They have to be angled back slightly at normal ride height or they won't work right. Lookin great so far, I'll keep an eye on this one for sure.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

wow.... just amazing.... cant wait to see some videos of this thing
Joeyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Very impressive!!!
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

That looks great! I think the best I have seen yet.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #50

just awesome, i cant say more.
sanddragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #51

hinge the hood idea:
http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutor...D=49&CurPage=1

just like in regular model car building, besides being a crawler and more movable you may want to velcro the front down to keep it from popping up.
tyhodge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Ok, after seeing that I am going to have to order another one. That thing is killer. Great work on the chassis and leafs.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Looken good Potsie.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Great build, best by far!
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Looks good! One problem though, you to my model kit! I was gonna do this body, it's been in my favorites for months now, waitin for a micro build. But oh well. Would have never of thought to use the model chassis. Let us know how it holds up to the micro abuse
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:05 AM   #56
Rock Stacker

Great build

Where do you wheel your 1:1 rig?
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

great build!!! If you don't mind I'd like to get some more info on how you made your leafs...I'm builden a '79 bronco & want rear leafs to keep the scale look & have no idea where to start!...my first scaler!
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

this is the most bad ass build,,i didnt want anything to do with the micro crawler,,until i saw this ,,holy shit,,,,,,its awesome
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmoon View Post
this is the most bad ass build,,i didnt want anything to do with the micro crawler,,until i saw this ,,holy shit,,,,,,its awesome
Hell yea,that is some pimp sh!t right there!
Stick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Thank you for the complements fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Actually, they have the perfect angle on them, if they were staight up and down the shackle could flip up and get stuck when the suspension dropped. They have to be angled back slightly at normal ride height or they won't work right. Lookin great so far, I'll keep an eye on this one for sure.
Plus the rear leaves are almost flat, so there is almost no shackle movement under compression, and they swing forward during droop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhodge07 View Post
Very cool idea, thanks for the link. If my body werent already mounted, I would try it, but I cant get to the bottom of the cowl very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Where do you wheel your 1:1 rig?
I havent had it out much since Ive owned it, but when I go it's Rausch creek PA, or Gore VA.

Made the roll cage today.

My first atempt at tube work, and I must say its pretty easy at this scale. First I picked up the tubing. Yes it is hollow. 1/16" brass tubing. .0625" x 24:1 = 1.5", the diameter of my 1:1 cage. I made all of the bends using a sharpie marker as a bending die. The tubing bends very easily, and doesnt kink.

Then I fishmouth all of the tube ends with a small jewlers needle file. Before I solder, I soak the joint in liquid flux I feel this step is very important, it makes the solder wick into the joint.

When you solder the joint, it is important to touch the iron to the cage as little as posible. If you keep it there too long, you could overheat a tube and loosen a joint that you've already finished. I build up a little puddle of solder (not too much!) on the tip of the iron and touch it to the fluxed joint. The solder almost instantly wicks into the joint, thanks to the previously applied flux.

Things like boards with holes drilled in them, the little aligator clip soldering stations, and binder clips help alot for holding this tiny stuff together while you solder too.

Thats a M3 screw holding up the back end for size referance. Im missing a couple spreader bars compared to my 1:1, but I need to get the transmission out somehow... Hope to get the cage painted and installed tomorrow. I think Im just going to drill 6 holes and epoxy it to the floor unless somebody here has a better idea. -YB

Last edited by youngblood; 12-16-2009 at 05:31 AM.