Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Rocked Out 4-Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

You have come a long with with this in a very short time. I amgoing to be buying a 2nd one so I can set one up comp style and one up scaler.

How do you have the body mounted to the chassis with no posts poking through?

Your rig looks fantastic
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
You have come a long with with this in a very short time. I amgoing to be buying a 2nd one so I can set one up comp style and one up scaler.

How do you have the body mounted to the chassis with no posts poking through?

Your rig looks fantastic
Velcro on top of the receiver and the battery attaches to the underside of the hood and rear cover.

I had some time the other day to check out the binding tranny issue that I have read so much about on another forum (hack,cough, rcc, cough). I honestly figured that it was just a bunch of guys that toss out a tube chassis because it is 1mm out of square nit picking but then I tore mine apart. It was ridiculous how out of round the gears are. I shaved and shaved on the bearing holes until I was uncomfortable taking any more material off and mine still binds a little. I put plenty of grease on the gears and I think I got it good enough that it will wear off after a couple more packs but I expected better from Losi. I know they are a great company and will straighten it out but it really is something that needs addressed on the next run of parts. While I was messing with it I also adjusted the pinion/spur gear mesh. Its still not perfect but it is a lot smoother after those small adjustments. I only got about a half a pack through it before my daughter needed Daddy time so I'm not sure if it improved run time or not.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

I did a little tinkering with my wheel set up. I removed the foams, added some more solder, and put in about 8 Airsoft BB's. It is definetly running smoother with the transmission fix but the jury is still out on the wheel mods. More weight helped but I'm not so sure about the BB's. They seem like the are too big and don't let the wheel grip. I am probably going to take them out and just cut the foams or go no foams. Anyway here is a video of the wheel test run on the new course I made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbSW0VSSWq8
And here are a couple decent pics finally snapped in some good lighting so you can see some of the weathering detail like the dirt and the winshield were the wipers have cleaned it off.

I lost the mirrors crawling today. I am going to have to try and find a better way to attach them other than glue.

Last edited by nascarkeith; 12-17-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I got my Mini-T ball ends in. I couldn't find the right size all thread to fit into the ball ends so I bought some inch long 4-40 bolts, cut the heads off the bolts, and drilled out the ball ends. Then, I used some aluminum tubing I had in the parts box to sleeve the links. I took the servo mount off of the rear axle and drilled new holes for the balls and moved them into the center to triangulate the top links. (Thanks Chevy55 for that idea.) I also moved the mounting point on the other end to inside the frame rails.

I also had the time to come up with a solution for the mirror. I drilled out the body and the mirrors. Then, I took a small screw and grinded the head down to slightly larger than the hole in the mirror. After that, I hit it with the torch to get it hot and let it melt into the mirror. Finally, a dab of super glue and attach it back to the body.

While the super glue dried I did a little battery testing between the stock Losi and a battery from thetoyz.com.

The stock battery gave me a 10 min. 20 sec. run time. The battery from thetoyz.com which is the same mah at 150 but $3 cheaper gave me a 9 min. 45 sec. run time on the first go and a little over 11 min. the second run. For the price the non-Losi battery is just as good. Here is a link to the one I bought http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...0BAJA,%20%20DT
Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I figured I would get a few more comments on the build especially after the warm response the first post got. Oh well, I'm gonna keep posting updates anyway.

We finally had some sunshine in AL so I took it out and went for a run on some real rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82viDDWgKTg

I was impressed at how well it did on real terrain and not carboard. I ran the battery dead and never left an area about 5x5. That is one of the cool things about the micros. You don't need a lot room to run.

Last edited by nascarkeith; 12-20-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Keep the updates coming, I'm still watching....Can't wait to get one of my own, but that'll probably have to wait til February when I get back to the states. Unless I buy a Yokomo this week....

-val
LAV25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #27

Great build, and great job on the video too, the camera angle and terrain choice really makes it look even more scale!
crabfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #28
RCC Addict

You've set the bar, that truck looks killer.
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

you set the bar! yes you did, but i am going to set it again
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the compliments. Crabfu I'm glad you liked the video. Keeping the camera low makes everything look more scale. I've got a few more things planned for it but the holidays slowed me down. I got a Blade mCX for Christmas so I have been flying it alot.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #31

Wow! Looks very much real. Unless someone knows it's a 1/36 scale RC vehicle, he would think it's real 4Runner. Great scale looking.
lotaloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Thanks lotaloi.

I finally got around to making some sliders for it.

I just didn't like the way it was driving with the no foam/bb set up in the front wheels so I wrapped some more weight on them and cut the foams in a star pattern and put them back in.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

amazing, I love it....that is too cool
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
amazing, I love it....that is too cool
Thanks man, I appreciate it. It's great that we have our own forum for our little scalers now.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

X2
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

love it
auscreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

I haven't done much to the 4-Runner in a while but While walking through Target with my family the other day I ran across a Tonka set that had what looked pretty much like an F-250 and a Bronco in it. The Bronco had really soft rubber tires so I bought the set and started tinkering. I had to cut the wheel off of the metal axle, shave a lot of plastic from inside the wheel, drill a hole, and cut a slot in the back of the wheel to act as the wheel hex. Then, I mounted them up. It would probably work better with an actual wheel hex glued to the back but I need those in case I want to run the stock wheels and tires.
Anyway here is how they look on the 4-Runner.

No more 22's Jay
I did a little test run with them on my indoor course and they do just as good as the stockers and I haven't figured out a way to add weight to them yet.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #38

Default Re: Rocked Out 4-Runner

wish mine looked that good how did you get the tiers off the rims
badblazer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rocked Out 4-Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblazer91 View Post
wish mine looked that good how did you get the tiers off the rims
Patience and a hobby knife.