Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Do they all bind and break?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Do they all bind and break?

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a micro crawler as I already own an ax10 and scx10.

I'm a bit worried about a few things though after Reading the past 13 pages of this forum.

1) servo. Do they all break? If they do break, how easy is it to fit a hs65 servo as suggested, wiring etc?

2) gears binding? Do they all bind and does this make the micro unusable? Was wondering if there was going to be a version 2 coming out the next couple of months with lots of fixes or just an upgrade part? Anyone not have one binding?

Thanx. From what I've read, these are the only issues, but quite serious if it makes it unusable.

I'm looking forwards to getting one with one of those new open chassis if servo and binding is fixable and not every time I use it.

I may get the bnd and see if I can use it with my dx7 radio.
Boos Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Both of those issues, servos and binding are hit and miss.

I have 3 micros, 2 of which have no binding at all, the 3rd was very little, livable.

Servo, all 3 of mine have been fine, i did strip the gears in one, but that was due to excessive strain cause by a spar body bolted to the servo horn cause we were playing micro golf lol.

Both the HS-55 and HS-65 are great replacements.
55 being cheaper and plastic gears, 65 is a little more but metal gears.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Good show on the research and the organized, thoughtful post!

1) I took the servo-saver spring assembly off and she's been running well. I'm fairly rough on the gal, but not overly abusive when the wheels are in a tough bind. So far, I'm quite satisfied with the stock servo and haven't been able to justify upgrading to the others, without the "need."

2) My gears started with a little noticeable binding--more like resistance every 1/2 rotation--but it wasn't bad enough for me to do anything about at first. When I was changing things around and the transmission was "out" anyway, I pulled the rear cover off...and after some trial and error I found that the top of the cover which fit over the upper bearing was a little too tight when assembled: I ended up gently scraping a few thousandths of an inch from the inside of the cover and that has helped. (There is a thread here with details on this, which you may have already seen.) The gears all looked good, thank the gods.

I say "Go for it." I'm not sure how Horizon Hobby is on your side of the pond; I recently needed to contact them for the first time and I received good service (we'll see how it works out, as I'm still waiting for the part to arrive).

Let us know what you decide!

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-06-2010 at 05:43 PM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

1) My servo has been perfect, that is untill I cut it up for a custom project then it has failed.

2) The binding gear problem has never been an issue for me.

As a side note I did have an issue with the stock RTR radio not binding properly to the reciver, but that was fixed by upgrading to a Spektrum radio.
rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i have 1 micro and love it. i have not had any binding issues but my steering servo did go out but i replaced it with a hitec hs55 feather and that was a direct fit except i couldnt tighten it all the way cuz it hit the axle, but other than that, no problems
krono7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

two here and no issues! the only thing I had to do is tighten up the slipper! lol
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #7

I have no binding issues with mine from when I bought it. Thought I did but turned out to be a loose slipper clutch. I did change out my servo cuz I overtightened the horn on the stock one and stripped it out. Though to tell the truth, I have barely ran mine. Got the Blade chassis for it, installed it, and it's been sitting on the shelf with no more then about 5 min of run time on it. Just been working on other projects and haven't had time for this one. I still have to figure a way to mount the body on. I'm actually considering selling it.
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanx for the responses, not as much of a common issue than I first thought then. Looks like I'll be ordering 2. One for me and one for my wife. I'm going to get the TMC chassis too for mine, make extended links, extend driveshafts, fit a lipo and have lots of fun. Not sure what my wife wants to do with hers yet, but we are both quite competative so it woon't stay stock for long.

Thanx again and hope I get 2 good ones.
Boos Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i have two micros an both of the servos broke but they both took the same fall about 5 feet to the ground i upgraded to a hitec HS-65HB it works very well its a lot of over kill for such a small rig but it works great some times ull get one front tire stuck an turn an the hole car gets pushed over. but its a strong servo both rigs took the 5 foot fall an works like a champ so if ur servo gos out get on of these. hitec HS-65HB
The Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

good info buddy
sivad is offline   Reply With Quote