Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Klampyz little F truck RIP :( 11/5/12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Klampyz little F truck RIP :( 11/5/12

hi guys, its been a while since iv been on this forum, but i got a new bright F150 for xmas and couldnt help myself!

mock up of aim

and tonights progress, WITH BRASS!

im definately running the QLO tires, pumped with fat foams, but not sure on what offset to run with the rims.

iv got a set of black on black losi micro rims coming, but do i run them near stock which gives me a little bit of poke, or do i do the deep dish mod and push the tire halfway out the guard??

im wanting to give the truck a bit of an exo cage/roof rack/sliders/ rear canopy. so its gonna get chunky...

just want some opinion/feedback on the matter

Last edited by klampykixx; 05-11-2012 at 02:14 AM.
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Klampyz little F truck

Lookin good!
03NCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
RCC Addict

iv been busy tonight, put in a front crossmember for the front suspension, not 100% sure if i have the geometry correct, but will soon find out i guess....

and sorted the front bar, its still a seperate piece atm, im not completely satisfied with it but it will do. its slightly lop sided coz the stupid steel needed to get hotter than the brass and melted my other joints and i couldnt get them straight again!!!!!! :banghead:

Old 01-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
RCC Addict

i started getting the poops with the rails coming unstuck where i bent them as i cut pies out and then bent n soldered, every time i add something new, it all comes undone.....:banghead:

so decided to pull off the rear xmember and am going to screw it together, i just need to hurry up n get a small drill bit kit small enough for the tiny little screws n such....

but anyway, i turned attention to body/bar work tonight. all hand bent (fencing wire for those whod like to know) and then soldered.

top bar

poser

im pretty happy with how tuff its looking!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Cool body to start with! I'm not sure about the front bumper though, mean yes, but it hangs down kind of low and it will kill your approach angle. I would take the pieces off the bottom and just build above the horizontal bar you have right under the grill.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

hmm, i tried to post on my phone, but looky here on the PC and theres no post...

thanks Ty, but the bumper isnt going to be a great issue for me. the build for me, is getting based along the lines of Tough Street / weekend trail truck, so mega amounts of approach angle arent massively important at this point. if i decide that its crap later on, then ill cut it back but for now its kinda like a spoiler so i like it.

if i told you there was a build i have in the works that was i think youd say class2 or 3? would that make more sense for this to be a towing vehicle?

heres a little sneak preview. its an older build, but havent made any progress on it in a while...

Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
RCC Addict

iv got a bit done since having my trans turn up, and then my Losi MRC rims

i started on the front suspension mounting points and realised i had it all too far forward...

got the sliders on,

trans and steering servo in. may still need to lift the servo yet as it wont allow the diff to fully articulate at a somewhat stock ride height (if it stays there that is)

and front suspension lower links attatched. still not 100% on how to do the uppers yet....

but you can see with that pic, that unless i do some serious widening, my QLOs rub on everything!! im really really liking these tires>>

and coming in exactly halfway between the LosiMRC and the QLOs height wise i think theyll be a better fit. rather than forcing the QLOs to fit.

basically, fitting the QLOs will be like trying to fit 35s under my jeep where iv got 28s, so the 31(ie MT claws) should be a good look without having to hack the guards up.

do ya'll agree?
Old 01-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I decided im not paying more in freight than i would for a set of tires from RC4WD. $7 per pair, but $19 for air freight??? no thanks. id be quite happy to pay the $3-4 for post but that broke the deal. but, thats probably a plus anyway as i bit the bullet and cut the guards.....

and as you can see, mock mounted the front suspension links to make sure its gonna line up.

looks phatt at the front from the rear...

oh, and after buying the LMRC rims, iv decided that the stock QLO rims have the best offset and also look the best under the truck. but in saying that, the rims wont be left stock, i have narrowed them slightly which pushes the centerline of the tire outwards effectively widening the track slightly, which happens to be just the right amount IMO!!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I really dig the first picture in the last post!!! It looks great!! The QLO tires look great!!! I can't wait to see more progress on the truck!!
MICHIGAN CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
RCC Addict

iv been playing tonight. and i take back my statement about the stock QLO rims being satisfactory. theyre just not!! lol. needs to be wider. well, in order to look a tad tuffer anyway...

sorted out the upper link mount. bent up a tab n mounted it realising that i put it on backwards . doh!

used threaded rod and silicone tubing as a bush instead of ball joints. youll have to excuse the increasingly messy work space.

here it is standing on its own at the front. little high, but i need to find some longer shocks..

heres what i have, ~30mm is as short as i can go, but i want something about 60mm long extended. how long are the Losi ones?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
RCC Addict

wifey tells me about half an hour after getting home from work, "did ya see the box on the lounge?" i was like O_o what box?

i was thinking it was something unexciting i had ordered, but NO!! it was my QLO!!!!

so im yet to drive a QLO!! iv had three now and all of them where bought with intention as parts!!

motor mounted

still too high... still looking for longer shocks that arent fat.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Before:

after:

shock tower

and underneath where the shocks come out. i made them into an inner spring. too, with the stock QLO springs.

and then.. i got bored ... and did something extreme :facepalm:

chopped off the front bar/ scrub bars and the side sliders and the rear scrub bars. . . . .

and here we are.

i still cant work out why my axle moves sideways. even tho theyre triangulated, theres flex in the control arms i think....
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
RCC Addict

pics from todays efforts. not going to be seen, but something to help stiffen the chassis and add a little bit of bulk to it. i hate those little light RCs that just bounce off everything.... too toy-ish.. so here goes..

Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #14
RCC Addict

still trying to decide if im going to keep the tray or not.... opinions?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Cool man, it looks great so far!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
i still cant work out why my axle moves sideways. even tho theyre triangulated, theres flex in the control arms i think....
Looks really good!

Have you got the lowers links triangulated as well? Looks like they are running straight?
Double triangulation and correct placement will get the axle rotating on center as opposed to rotating off center which leads to a lot of axle steer.
Try moving the lower links to the inside of the axle end mount.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 01-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #17
RCC Addict

omg, thats like, one of those "why didnt i think of that?" moments.... yea, that idea has fixed my axle sway issue completely. i now have full and opposite triangulation now.

iv planned to mount the top arms on the rear axle, in the center of the axle, rather than like the front where they center on the chassis. reason i hadnt done it this way on the front is the mount the axles come with isnt real scale looking, but i think ill get away with it in the rear.

heres a pic of the front axle now.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #18
RCC Addict

^^ at full compression the top arms hit the chassis, but i very highly doubt it will ever do that, so good news is that full articulation, theres heaps of room on both sides
Old 01-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
RCC Addict

being away all day means no time for the garage, and once showered, not really in the mood for getting dirty with brass n solder n stuff... so time to play with plastic??

been looking for decent rims for a little while now, bought some black losi MRC rims but stupid tires come preglued.. slightly annoying. so instead i go back to the QLO wheels and use the widener trick on them!!

much wider now. and now that it is this wide, i am now highly considering truggy-ing it...

but also, really like the tray... decisions.... also trying to decide wether or not it needs a stinger on that front bar ......
Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
RCC Addict

had some good progress tonight. but its late now and ill let pics do the talking.

custom foams (23-200 for those who know what that means)

attatched~!!

one tire....

and a half!!

nearly done with the chassis side of the build. . .

Klampyz little F truck RIP :( 11/5/12 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old comp truck turned scale truck (the rebuild!) Metal Masher 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 01-02-2013 01:23 AM
LOOKIE HERE!!! (Good inexpensive 2.2 parts truck or basher truck...) STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Chit Chat 0 08-24-2007 12:44 PM