Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My new Trekker...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My new Trekker...

Just got this the other day. Previous owner put the Bronco body on, shortened the links, and put on the Gearhead wheels and RC4WD Mickey T's. I also got the rest of the Bronco model kit and the stock body, tires and wheels, and links for the Trekker. The thing had almost never been used from the looks of it, there's not a scratch on it anywhere. I think I've driven it more in two days than the previous owner ever did. And I love this thing. As a long-time static modeler, I had been interested in these little rigs, just because they are 1/24th scale and I have over 200 un-built model kits in my collection, plus 20 years of accumulated spare parts and bodies in a number of large plastic tubs. But I was wary of their actual ability. I had messed with micro R/C's in the past (XMODS and Losi Micros) and they were disappointing to say the least. But I'm pleasantly surprised by this little rig, but I already see lots of room for improvement. The wheels aren't weighted, the wheelbase is too short, the paintjob on the body is kinda crappy, The servo hits the right-front shock, something is binding in there somewhere, the shocks suck, the link geometry is jacked up and it has torque twist like a beotch.

Plus, it's more top-heavy than Dolly Parton. Climbing any kind of a grade is nearly impossible, as it'll just flip over backward. Sidehill? Forget it. The previous owner has mounted the ESC/Rec. and the stock NiMH and power switch all under the hood of the Bronco. Great for scaleness. Sucks for crawling. (See pic) Worst part is, he GLUED the ESC and switch in with COPIOUS quantities of what looks like clear Epoxy. I'm afraid I might wreck them trying to get the stuff out.

So, the plan is as such. Different body. I like the Bronco, but the wheelbase is too short. Plus, a Ford is just not my first choice. Not sure what yet, too many choices. I DO have a couple 1/20th scale AMC Gremlin kits, however... HMM, micro Gremlin King? I wonder, if something is a 1/20th scale replica of a 1/10th scale R/C vehicle, would that make it a 1/2 Scale?

LiPO battery.

Different Chassis maybe? Not sure on that yet. Have to see what body I run.

DDT 90T motor.
HR Aluminum trans case
Different servo/eliminate servo saver
High-steer conversion/chassis mounted servo
De-case the ESC
Do something about the shocks

But until I make a plan, I'm keeping it together. It makes a GREAT R/C training vehicle for my 6yo. daughter, who took her first turn at the wheel of an R/C today with it. It's slow enough for her reaction times, plus it's small and slow enough to run inside the house.

Here's some pics of the newest addition to the fleet:

JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #2

Default Re: My new Trekker...

Nice. Are you around Omaha? I swear I saw that on My local Craigslist.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

sweet truck man im jealous, model car bodies are scarce in my house :/ and they never seem to have any good ones in the stores
poopsmcgoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

also i like where he put the battery looks awesome
Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yup, I live in Colon, just north of Wahoo. The guy was in Glenwood, Iowa. (And what a story that was just trying to get this little thing) Ended up getting it for $75, though.

Last night I took out the battery and ESC/Reciever, which were held in with some kind of Epoxy (who glues a battery in?!) and started digging through my model stuff for suitable shells. Now I just gotta decide which one. But the one I REALLY want to use, a 1/20th scale Monogram Jeep CJ, I can't find...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

Nice. Next time you come this way hit me up. I've gotta couple little places for the little trucks.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

You mentioned shocks, I am using Hot Racing Micro Air Shocks and they are much better than the stock ones.

My build if interested Micro FJ HR Air Shocks

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 07-04-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

pretty nice looking rig to start with bud!

I've got a monogram 1/20 CJ kit laying around. PM if your interested i'm never going to build it
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Good stuff and certainly a pretty decent deal for $75! Wish I'd gotten mine that cheap.

For the motor, the DDT 90T should be a great upgrade for it. I just installed a Big Block kit in mine, but I ahven't been able to run it because somehow the u-joint on the front output shaft from the trans got broken. And without the front driveshaft, the front wheels are locked. So now I have a Trekker with a brand new DANALLY Big Block and can't drive it!

For the servo, I'm running the Hitec 65MG, which seems to work really well. Flipped the shocks, outboarded the rears, and inboarded the rear upper links and it seems to help a little with crawling. I'll upgrade to the HR air shocks shortly, though. Wheels & tires as well.

Maybe try flipped the trans assembly, though, to help distribute the weight forward. Seems to help a little.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Haven't really had time to do much with it lately. I added some decals to the bronco body to detail it out a bit, and mostly I've just been driving it, and making plans to attack the weak points of the rig. I've also contacted MGCrawler about the Jeep he has. Once I acquire that from him, work can begin in earnest.

The plan at this point is this:
1/20th Bobbed, tube-fendered, four-linked CJ with full custom metal chassis and tube work, but I'm not sure what to use or how to work with it in this scale. I've seen some guys do amazing things with brass, but I don't know what to use to hold it together, the same silver solder you'd use on a larger tuber? I might end up going with one of the scale chassis already available and build the tube work to attach to it.

65MG servo, chassis-mounted.

HR Air Shocks, trans case, maybe some other bits.

DDT 90T

Need a lipo for this. The run-time on the stock batt suuuuuuuuucks. But I wanna wait until I get the truck built to get a lipo so I can be sure it'll fit where I need it to go.

Now I just gotta pull the trigger on ordering the parts and play the waiting game for it all to arrive.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

hey this might give you an idea for tube work. this guy isnt on the fourms as know of. he built a sweet little hilux! Micro Scale Trail...Chaining Up - YouTube
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Went to the LHS today and I found a losi 7.4v 180mah lipo in their 50% off bin! And the charger for it too! The reduction in mass up high along with the MASSIVE increase in power and runtime have really turned this little rig into something interesting. I can't wait to see what I can really make it do.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavelinSST390 View Post
Went to the LHS today and I found a losi 7.4v 180mah lipo in their 50% off bin! And the charger for it too! The reduction in mass up high along with the MASSIVE increase in power and runtime have really turned this little rig into something interesting. I can't wait to see what I can really make it do.
lucky dog
Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

got a little more done, still waiting on extra funds to get that Jeep. MGCrawler, don't give up on me man. I'll come up with it yet.

Meantime, I decided to work with what I got. detailed out the body a bit and made a little rear cage/spare tire holder out of coat hanger wire. Came out pretty good for making it in under an hour. Even cooler is that the rear top still fits. next is an ARB-style bumper/grille guard combo.

I'll get some updated/finished pics tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Looks nice.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

My new Trekker... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for Trekker (or Trekker suspension link) owners Markhpnc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 08-12-2011 05:43 PM
Trekker bumper rapttor Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 08-06-2011 11:47 AM
Trail Trekker PCHILNSF Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 07-19-2011 03:24 AM
My new Trekker exile182 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 05-11-2011 03:14 AM