Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: NEW HSP 1/24 crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #21

It wouldn't spin the weighted tires, since it was running so quiet, smooth and cool temperature I decided to try lipo...Broken driveshaft...I already found the weakest link.The driveshafts have plastic pins instead of metal.She had a lot more wheelspin though while it lasted...I'm going to order Losi shafts to try

Last edited by cycleguy; 06-30-2014 at 06:59 PM.
cycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #22

Default Re: NEW HSP 1/24 crawler

I was able to fix my driveshaft last night.I took the yoke off then drilled through the joint where the pins used to be, then I slid a paperclip through the holes and crimped down the edges on both sides so it can't come out.I ran most of a Lipo pack through it and its crawling fine.I already told Banggood, looked up Hsp's part # for the shafts and requested that they stock them.The Hsp doesn't come with any tools but it came with a very nice and large parts explosion.

While it was apart I installed Trail Trekker shocks to see if it would solve my issue with the suspension binding, it did not.So I tried swapping the links as well with no improvement.I even tried flipping and rearranging the Hsp's links every configuration possible hoping they were installed wrong.It seems like the upper links are shorter micro crawler copies and the bottom links were the only ones changed when they switched to the truck body and lengthened the wheelbase.No big deal though making custom links has always been a standard micro crawler mod.

I put the Hsp's tires in the freezer overnight and I can't get the tires off.The glue is stronger then Losi's and the tires sidewall is thinner so I stopped at the first sign of a tear.I guess I'll have to buy new wheels to mount my Mickey Thompsons but at least I'll have these shorter tires mounted on wheels I can swap to either truck.If they fit I would like to use them on a sct.Has anyone tried mounting a crawler wheel on a sct?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I believe the sct uses a "D" shaped hole with no pin or hex, so I don't think they'll mount up. That sucks the glue won't give, I was interested in the tires for scale builds. It has a cool tread patern. You ought to get some DDT wheels for your Mickeys. I have three sets, and I just love them! And Danally is going to be, or already is,selling them with beadlocks.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
I believe the sct uses a "D" shaped hole with no pin or hex, so I don't think they'll mount up. That sucks the glue won't give, I was interested in the tires for scale builds. It has a cool tread patern. You ought to get some DDT wheels for your Mickeys. I have three sets, and I just love them! And Danally is going to be, or already is,selling them with beadlocks.
Good call thank you, I remember his motors but I forgot he made wheels.You might still enjoy having the Hsp tires, they would look great on something smaller like a Jeep or Yota and for how round the contact patch is they grip well.Either the foams are precut or they barely rise into the tire above the wheel, they wrap around rocks like no foams.Id be happy with them if I could get a bit of weight inside.The fake beadlock is molded into the wheel as one piece including the screws so it seems like there is twice as much rubber glued to the wheel.Maybe I can glue large washers on the back to get a bit more weight.Once you get used to thinking about your axles catching, these tires are fairly capable as is since the ride height is lowered.Pro's and cons.

I'm pretty sure the yokes will interchange.I haven't tried yett but the hsp's shaft has the same half moon shape.So you just have to replace the entire shaft instead of mixing a half a losi shaft with the hsp.They will definetly interchange where the pin goes through the yoke.I decided to order losi axle cases when I ordered a replacement shaft.When I get those parts I'll go ahead and tear into my axle and try swapping everything into a losi case.If we can use losi parts to replace what breaks were looking at being able to buy to of these hsp's to build a 6x6 for $10 less then a new trail trekker.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

so the hsp can run lipo just fine? im thinking about getting it. When you say it binds do you mean it gets stuck when articulating or is it just hard to flex? could it be the links are stiff and need to be broken in?
dirtbikekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikekid View Post
so the hsp can run lipo just fine? im thinking about getting it. When you say it binds do you mean it gets stuck when articulating or is it just hard to flex? could it be the links are stiff and need to be broken in?
I don't think it has a lipo cut off, I've just been running this thing with my lipo's for around 10-15 minutes then shutting it off.I've ordered a low voltage alarm to solder into my adaptor.But yes I've been running a 7.4v 2s 350mah 30c Admiral lipo through it.I honestly haven't even noticed the motor get warm..The electronics seem to run just fine.I'm throwing the little yellow 4.6v battery the Hsp came with away, I charged it with the 4.6v Iosi charger that came with my Trail Trekker and it got so hot it melted its wrapper in about 20 minutes.

I think the suspension would operate better with longer upper links.The ones on the bottom are longer so when you lift a rear tire the upper link tries pulling the tire forward a little instead of allowing it to rise straight up, making the shocks bind.I'm pretty sure its a copy of micro crawler parts, then when they extended the wheelbase they only extended the lower links.I tried running a droop setup and it articulates smooth that way but the links pull the wheels forward to badly to use.Im honestly not very worried about it though since its so stable on off cambers, the springs bind before they compress enough to case a roll.

If your capable of soldering then you would probably enjoy this truck alot.It gives a unique crawling experience compared to the Losi, its geared lower, has a shorter center of gravity, etc.Just be prepared to upgrade it with the money you saved.Its still a better value since the stock Losi also needs sorted out.The only stock parts on my Trekker after a year are its axles...
Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #27

While I was taking these pictures I noticed it shows straight upper links the same length as the lowers.The ones on my crawler look completely different so hopefully they were using up old parts or something and the later versions are corrected.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

ok thanks. It looks like the upper links in the manual have an indent so that they wont bind. would you say the stock tires are the same size as the losi micro crawler? if the drive shafts are the only weak link that would be awesome. you said that you replaced everything on your trekker except axle? I've only replaced electronics, tranny gears, and the stub axles. everything else is stock(oh and i have the danally wheels with miclaws).
Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikekid View Post
ok thanks. It looks like the upper links in the manual have an indent so that they wont bind. would you say the stock tires are the same size as the losi micro crawler? if the drive shafts are the only weak link that would be awesome. you said that you replaced everything on your trekker except axle? I've only replaced electronics, tranny gears, and the stub axles. everything else is stock(oh and i have the danally wheels with miclaws).
No the tires are alot smaller, not good for ground clearance but a blessing for scale guys.I posted a picture of them with Rc4wd's Mickey Thompsons.

Yea my esc/rx is one of the few things I've salvaged from my trekker besides axles..I couldn't handle the stock run times so I went lipo, then my tranny failed, then the servo went.Half of the mods were needed to get it crawling nicely, it was tippy with springs so I got a DP torsion chassis.

I need a few more nights with it to figure out why my suspension won't properly flex.I spent the first night working on adaptors for its electronics and the second night I had to mess with all of my yokes pins.I ordered a modelers pin drill last week, I really wish I had it last night lol.I had to use a drill bit by hand to drill all of those new pin holes, my dremel wasn't steady enough for those small holes.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

jeez i guess they are small but i want them!

yeah i didn't like the stock run times either so i went brushless and lipo. with 350mah i get 1 hour and with my 850mah i get 2 1/2 hour. and i never over heat.

i hope you figure out how to make it not bind.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I need a few more nights with it to figure out why my suspension won't properly flex.I spent the first night working on adaptors for its electronics and the second night I had to mess with all of my yokes pins.I ordered a modelers pin drill last week, I really wish I had it last night lol.I had to use a drill bit by hand to drill all of those new pin holes, my dremel wasn't steady enough for those small holes.[/QUOTE]

You might try a parts store, hardware or welding supply to find a torch tip cleaning set. It has several small to tiny bits housed in a hollow pin vise the size of a fat ink pen. Works great for drilling small holes in plastic.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #32

Losi driveshafts WILL fit.The part I needed slipped in like butter.All of the driveshaft parts interchange, some just need a tiny bit of sanding so they slide smoothly.

While it's apart I decided to have another go at getting more articulation and I had some success.I noticed the Hsp links were slightly thicker then Losi's and they weren't able to twist, they were acting as a hinge instead of a ball joint everywhere there was a short ball stud.I replaced the short Hsp ball studs with longer ones from Losi and it still wasn't right.The next picture is with the upper links in stock position and Losi ball studs.

The lower links were inside of the mounts on the axle.I flipped the ball studs so they were outside of the axle mounts.Then did flipped the ball studs on the upper links inside of the frame and I ended up with nice smooth articulation.I just need to add rubber bands now to limit it.The rear end just wants to twist now without springs instead of moving side to side or up and down, it actually seems perfect.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #33

I got some rubber band return springs/travel limiters in.Time to start on the front end.Buy these things up everyone I'm loving mine...

Old 12-05-2014, 02:59 AM   #34
RCC Addict

So overall hows this rig holding up for you , From the pics the whole drive train looks to be losi.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Any updates?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
Any updates?
I'm sorry my Tapatalk ap hasn't been notifying me when people respond in subscribed threads, I've been more active in boat forums lately.

My motor went out so I've had it sitting on the shelf.I bought a Losi motor to replace it with, but since the motor mount isn't adjustable I need to also upgrade it so I can switch to metal pinions then upgrade the gear mesh and tranny.

The Hsp is a lot cheaper then the Losi in price and quality, nothings adjustable without modification.So its actually perfect for a 6x6 build since the axles are the most important items.I recently bought a 1:24 scale Yacht and its 29" long.So I'm starting to think about buying another Hsp crawler so I can build a 6x6 tow rig with my hsp.Besides from getting spare axles, I can use the electronics to build a small life raft.

In short if you want a hassle free micro crawler then buy the Losi.

But if your mainly just wanting the parts to do a custom build, the Hsp's price can't be beat.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Thanks for the info .
Old 12-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #38

No problem.

This isn't my Hsp, but I almost forgot I got a video of my Trail Trekker plowing a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIi8...C6Aa_ux3VYOq6w

I know I know, it needs tire chains.I already have the chain, but I can't find a pack of black hair ties.im going to have to order some.

The plow is easy to make, it's from Revell's GMC plow truck kit.

I'm between scale bodies right now, I usually have a keychain/card holder winch installed, it holds the plow tight against the ground when it's installed.

Just build the plow according to the instructions, mold a sprue bracket over the bumpers mount, then melt/weld them together.

It's pushing tire height snow without chains, or my winch holding the plow steady.With chains it'll work great.

Last edited by cycleguy; 12-14-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #39
RCC Addict

That's cool as he!! buddy. The link says the video is private , ya can't view it.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
That's cool as he!! buddy. The link says the video is private , ya can't view it.
It should work now, for some reason the videos privacy was turned on.Its off now but I'm not sure why the videos not embedding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIi8...C6Aa_ux3VYOq6w

NEW HSP 1/24 crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hsp 1/8 rock crawler cooper69 Newbie General 16 10-15-2014 12:19 AM
HSP Crawler ? ClydeBuilt General Crawlers 35 05-07-2011 04:42 PM
Hsp Rock Crawler 1:8 soad95 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 03-05-2009 10:44 PM
Video HSP crawler Teubber Videos! 0 02-24-2009 04:39 AM