Notices

Thread: my Sumo Crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Default my Sumo Crawler build

A work in Progress.... here is what ive done so far

stock sumo after unboxing

First mod was to change shock mounts and upper link locations & cut the springs

Next was to router out the battery boxes to make room for new NanoTech 300mah Lipo and relocate the reciever/esc board

bend servo pins 90 degrees

receiver/esc board and low voltage alarm wired up

I recommend etching or labeling the pins on back of battery box

coiled up servo leads, in a later mod i shorten the lead and solder directly to the pins, also changed out as many phillips head screws with 1.5mm hex head screws as i could

new servos, same spline as stock, so able to use servo savers if you want

I knew i was going for a bigger motor to start with, so heres how i did it

climbing toy blocks

time for new wheels & tires. RCTrax MiClaws on RC4WD beadlocks

servo leads shortened and soldered to pins on board

new motor sourced from a tower pro MG946 servo, slower than stock but tons more torque... im thinking gear reduction change get this faster and still have good torque,
has far too much torque and very little speed with this motor

Rock crawling in the yard

Ill keep updating as things move along.... Ive got a lexan hummer body coming soon. Also planning on ditching the receiver/esc board combo in favor of separate FlySky receiver for my iT4 and separate brushed ESC. Ive ordered a few gear reduction units to see if i can get good combo figured out with a brushless motor setup.

Last edited by ericdrob67; 07-23-2014 at 07:49 PM.
ericdrob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: my Sumo Crawler build

I'm curios about the low voltage alarm. I'm not exactly familiar with them, but I understand their purpose. Could you tell me which one you used, and how you wired it in? I feel I might need one on my current build using a redcat esc, but I don't know much about them. Any info would be appreciated.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
I'm curios about the low voltage alarm. I'm not exactly familiar with them, but I understand their purpose. Could you tell me which one you used, and how you wired it in? I feel I might need one on my current build using a redcat esc, but I don't know much about them. Any info would be appreciated.
Only need a low voltage alarm if you are going to be using a Lipo battery. dropping Lipo voltages too low cause significant damage/life shortening to them. Newer ESC designed with Lipo batteries in mind, usually have them built in. I used a Hobby King low voltage alarm that goes off with loud beep/tone when any cell is under 3.3 volts, it was about $2.

In the pic you can follow the wires... black = common/negative, yellow = first cell, red = second cell.... if you were running a 3s pack a fourth wire would go to the last pin(that i cut off the board) to the third cell.
I have a Trex 150 that uses the balance lead rather than a separate plug for main power, so i set my Sumo up to run the same way(current draw isnt high enough to require larger gauge wire to "feed" the truck). Most batteries are the same.... first and last pins of the balance plug are your + and -, which would get connected to the ESC.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

ditched the receiver/esc combo today... I have a FlySky iT4 so i used a 6ch FS-R6b receiver and an $8 esc from banggood.com.

ESC from banggood

pulled case off receiver and fits like a glove

wired up

reinstalled

New Body came in, going to start working on that next

Old 07-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Curious how that ESC works as i'm offered a Losi micro crawler with no TX (and ESC/RX is one combo deal like this) and i've already got a flysky GT3C and receivers.

Either way, slick build thus far!! The tire size on this stock is aesthetically painful
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

So far the ESC is working great... but ive only had one full battery through it(approx 40min). The only thing i dont like about it is that its setup for FWD/brake/reverse. So quite often getting reverse requires a "double tap" to get moving.... Overall for the price i dont think it can be beat. $7.50 from banggood, just be prepared for 7-10 shipping time.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

Got Hummer body painted and mounted up yesterday.... Its too plain... needs decals & finishing details.

Also tried out a new motor. 20mm coreless motor out of a stripped Turnigy TGY 3509mg servo. Speed is better now, about 2/3 to 3/4 walking speed & still lots of torque. Definitely not a cost effective motor option, but i had one laying around so i figured i might as well try it. Larger diameter meant i had to widen things up... Feathering shafts from my TREX 250 worked perfect to get the extra 3-4mm i needed to make room for this motor. Previous motor came very close to the front steering servo, this motor has a shorter can, so its length(or lack of) makes it more ideal.

my Sumo Crawler build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which one is the best losi mini crawler or redcat sumo crawler serkanyucel74 Micro Scale Rigs 3 03-03-2015 08:31 AM
Sumo Crawler build 001 theprofessor Micro Scale Rigs 6 01-15-2013 07:32 PM
RedCat Sumo RSMC Q&A/ Build Thread Gravy Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 13 05-17-2012 03:44 PM