Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The mud season is coming, time to get ready! (Nissan 1/20)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The mud season is coming, time to get ready! (Nissan 1/20)

The other day I saw an old post of mine where I was hinting toward a Nissan build. So I thought it was about time I put up a build thread for it. This is one I've been holding off on until the time was right, and now, with it being fall, that only means the rainy season is on it's way! And with rain, we all know comes lots of mud. So what is better for the mud than a mega mud truck?!?!

Awhile back I got a couple sets of tractor tires from MGCrawler and I've just been holding onto them until now. Man I love these tires! They are so mean looking! He really did a god job casting them! As for rims I plan to cut down some RPM Spider wheels made for the mini-t. The motor is a Danally 60t stroker with a 58t spur gear, and aluminum trans. Should be fast enough, not to fast, but enough power for the mud! Or at least I'm hoping. And of course I'll be using the good ol' Redcat axles for speed! I'm thinking about converting these ones to full-bearings like a set I got from Danally a while back. Just have to figure out the sizes.

The body is a Lindburg 1/20 Nissan king cab. I plan to keep the truck body stock, just ridin' high on tractor tires! This will be another styrene build, it has worked well for me so far, so why change now. I'm still not sure if I'm going to just use the Losi transmission/transfer case directly, or try to use an actual transfer case. I've thought about using a Redcat trans as a transfer case, but I don't know if I want to deal with the speed loss through the gear reduction. But as I get into it, we'll see. Here's a pic of some parts for now.
Attached Images

Last edited by R.Billy Rob; 10-06-2014 at 11:41 PM.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The mud season is coming, time to get ready! (Nissan 1/20)

And here's a little mock-up pic to kinda let you see what direction I'll be going. Just remember, it's only a mock-up, there's a lot to still be determined.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Looks like I got a week or two.
DSchulten88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

more info on the tires? id love to get a set and work on something like this too!!!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
more info on the tires? id love to get a set and work on something like this too!!!!!
Send MGCrawler a PM, he's the one I got them from. He molded them up awhile back, and I got two sets. I don't know if he has any more, but it never hurts to ask. I'm kind of a sucker for these mud trucks, and I'd love to see more builds like this on here. So far there's only been a couple.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Spent a little time tonight trying to work on my rims. I only got one done, and it took me an hour, but at least I now know my idea will work!
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

To narrow the rim I chucked it up in a drill, and cut it with a dremel. Then started removing material. This would have been much easier if I had a lathe. I cut a small ring off the back, then removed material until I could slide the ring on. Then I just removed all the excess material from the back. Then I glued the two halves together. This will show you the two separate halves.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

i got a pm in and reply about tires... we will see where this goes! i maybe getting my hands on some!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well, two days, and two rims down! It's hard to find the time to do more, but I should have four rims by this weekend! I know there's a better way to do this, but it's going okay for the lack of having the right tools. And at least I'm half way done, with the wheels that is!
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
...... I know there's a better way to do this, but it's going okay for the lack of having the right tools..
im in... he is making me a set of tires.... and u didnt hear this.. i was speaking out loud and u heard... im also getting rims with it..

so easier way... buy a tire/rim combo!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sweet project RBR!
Your going to need lots of power to spin them tires in the slop & some strong drive shafts
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
Sweet project RBR!
Your going to need lots of power to spin them tires in the slop & some strong drive shafts
I've read your dirt pro thread on scale4x4 many times! Driveshafts seem to be an issue for sure. Let me know if you have any suggestions as to what to use, or how to build stronger shafts. Any ideas would be great.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:

The body is a Lindburg 1/20 Nissan king cab.
so you got my mind going wild now...

like said im gonna have tires/rims.. so ill be most likely taking my stocker with gmc body and just throwing tires on it. Thus not really a build..

anyway...
Fungi just posted tractor tires asking for dimension help... with that he lists 59mm height...

so convert that for
1/20 = 46.46"
1/24 = 55.75"

wow they sum biggins!
for scale... wonder how close your setup looks now?
think they look like 46's under that?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
so convert that for
1/20 = 46.46"
1/24 = 55.75"
46"?!?! Damn that's tall! It's hard to say just looking at it, but it looks like it scales out. Makes me wish I could build this truck in 1:1, now that would be a fun ride!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Quote:
46"?!?! Damn that's tall! It's hard to say just looking at it, but it looks like it scales out. Makes me wish I could build this truck in 1:1, now that would be a fun ride!
I was building a legal 1:1 on 53's.. nj changed lift laws

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Old 12-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I feel it's time to get back to this one. My bug build is almost done , my second Toyota is coming along nicely , and I kinda like having multiple builds going. I have too many ideas going at once to stay on just one build. I think I might have ADHD!
I put this one aside because it was so labor intensive making the wheels. Then Fungi started making wheels for these... So I waited and got a set! These things rock! The detail is amazing, but the real surprise is how sturdy they seem to be! I will definitely put that to test though. I gave up my 60t stroker to my Toyota build, so I've been thinking of getting a 45t from Danally.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Very nice lookin rig man! Those tires look about the perfect scale size, and Fungi's wheels are killer. Keep up the good work. I'll be watching this one and possibly getting back into a rig I've had stashed away for a while now. I lost interest quickly (3 builds in...) with the scale builds, but these mud throwers and other high HP rides could keep me entertained for sure.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Very nice lookin rig man! Those tires look about the perfect scale size, and Fungi's wheels are killer. Keep up the good work. I'll be watching this one and possibly getting back into a rig I've had stashed away for a while now. I lost interest quickly (3 builds in...) with the scale builds, but these mud throwers and other high HP rides could keep me entertained for sure.
Thanks! I plan for this thing to be more "4X4 cross" than a thick slop mudder. I feel that would be a lot more fun! I plan to get back on this one tonight. I want to try to get this thing to roller status soon! In the meantime, here's another teaser pic:
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I did some work tonight on the steering. I wanted it to be behind the axle, so this is what I came up with.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I got the frame together. I ended up just cutting up a Trekker frame and using it. It already has all the link mounts in place, and it fits. I might change it out later, but for now it works. It should be rollin' in no time!
Attached Images

The mud season is coming, time to get ready! (Nissan 1/20) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second time build coming cguit Axial SCX-10 0 10-19-2012 05:45 PM
ready for the Comp season to BEGIN budleyh G-Made Crawlers 1 03-14-2012 05:26 PM
Ready for football season? rod-211 Chit Chat 19 08-15-2011 10:50 AM
Are your trucks ready for the new season? Etype R Minnesota 41 04-24-2008 07:44 PM