Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My 1/24 temper build, questions inside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My 1/24 temper build, questions inside

So I picked up a 1/24 temper and found a revell snap tite Jeep wrangler. My plan is to make it just like my 1:1, as reasonably as I can of course lol. So I got the temper and the Jeep body, but what's the best way to try to mount this thing? The wheelbase isn't perfect but it's close enough for now. I've never fabbed a body on a car before. So a quick glance, this is my first hurdle: the steering servo. Hope would you guys go about solving this?

nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My 1/24 temper build, questions inside

You could make new chassis plates and chassis- mount the servo, or remove some grill...
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

There's so little sprung weight on there that I'd imagine the suspension doesn't compress both sides at the same time too much, mostly just articulates one wheel up at a time. I'd start by just cutting off the little tang under the grille. Are you against shortening your links/ making new links to get the wheelbase closer? Looks like you'd just need new rod ends for the lowers. Doing that would put your shocks more vertical as well, which would gain you a little bit of height/clearance. I've got a Temper on the way for my younger boy (mini crawlers for everyone this Christmas), so I'll see what you're up against soon enough!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
You could make new chassis plates and chassis- mount the servo, or remove some grill...
a new chassis and such is more than I'd like to do, or can do for that matter. However removing some of the grill is an option, naturally I'd like to keep it but, but im not completely against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
There's so little sprung weight on there that I'd imagine the suspension doesn't compress both sides at the same time too much, mostly just articulates one wheel up at a time. I'd start by just cutting off the little tang under the grille. Are you against shortening your links/ making new links to get the wheelbase closer? Looks like you'd just need new rod ends for the lowers. Doing that would put your shocks more vertical as well, which would gain you a little bit of height/clearance. I've got a Temper on the way for my younger boy (mini crawlers for everyone this Christmas), so I'll see what you're up against soon enough!
im not against shortening the wheelbase. I have all the stock links and some extra ends from the losi mini t kit ends I have, so I could probably make something up to work. that might create enough room for the servo. I'll check on that when I get home
Old 12-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

so, I did the mods posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qCYD70RSUQ

I used the rod ends and balls off the mini losi, the 2-56 threaded rod, and I just used a 3mm bolt and screwed it through the plastic to connect the lower links in the center, along w/ a spare axial nut I had laying around as a spacer, however I noticed that when I try to articulate the front, the steering servo bounds up against the shock allowing for not much articulation. So i'll probably use 2 more balls to move the shocks out to allow for more flex.

Still trying to mount up the body, but I broke a few rod ends while making them, don't feel like buying more, so I probably wont be making new lowers.. grrr.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Honestly that body just looks far too small for the chassis. There are Jeep bodies on Ebay that are a perfect fit. That would help you avoid messing with the servo and/or hacking up the body. Plus, it would look way better
cleanandserenesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanandserenesteve View Post
Honestly that body just looks far too small for the chassis. There are Jeep bodies on Ebay that are a perfect fit. That would help you avoid messing with the servo and/or hacking up the body. Plus, it would look way better
What should I look for? I've searched around for wrangler bodies and that's the closest I've found. I think it's a 5" wheelbase
Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well I never meant to search for bodies, but I always type, "micro crawler" in the search tab and there's only 5 pages to shuffle through. I think the Jeeps show up on the first or second page. He has them at kind of a high price, BUT they have a perfect wheel base and look very scale.

Here's one link. Silver Jeep Wrangler Lights BODY LOSI Trail Trekker AXIAL micro rock crawler | eBay

Last edited by THX_138; 12-19-2016 at 08:41 PM.
cleanandserenesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So I got a new ESC and receiver. I didn't like the non proportional speed. So here's the ESC and receiver I got

It's installed and works great. The difference isn't huge because naturally it's not a speed racer to begin with, but it's nice to have more control, even though there's not a lot of torque. The steering servo is actually quite strong which really helps.

The ESC came in a 2 pack and it was this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JX...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I need to shorten the wires and try to lower the cog
Old 01-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate94gt View Post
so, I did the mods posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qCYD70RSUQ

I used the rod ends and balls off the mini losi, the 2-56 threaded rod, and I just used a 3mm bolt and screwed it through the plastic to connect the lower links in the center, along w/ a spare axial nut I had laying around as a spacer, however I noticed that when I try to articulate the front, the steering servo bounds up against the shock allowing for not much articulation. So i'll probably use 2 more balls to move the shocks out to allow for more flex.

Still trying to mount up the body, but I broke a few rod ends while making them, don't feel like buying more, so I probably wont be making new lowers.. grrr.
I think I ended up flipping my shocks possibly to overcome them hitting the links. I'll have to take a look later tonight.
Canadiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiankrawler View Post
I think I ended up flipping my shocks possibly to overcome them hitting the links. I'll have to take a look later tonight.
I found 2 losi mini ball ends laying around and thought "hey, i'll just mount the shocks to those!" Since the losi ones are shorter, it moved the shock outward more, creating a larger gap between the spring and servo. So that worked great.

another solution, if you didn't have those, would be to shim the servo forward a little bit.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

and heres a quick vid of the temper w/ variable speed. Horrible vid, but it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4q0oc-HLCc
Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

and ive been struggling to find a good Jeep Wrangler body, so I said **** it, searched ebay for 1/20 models and this popped up, so why not?

I got it today and opened up the box... wow did it look huge. I was like "dammit, another one isn't gonna fit :( "

but alas, its PERFECT

now just need to paint it and figure out how to mount it
Old 01-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Here's a quick body update. It's mostly painted. But after seeing the pics, it looks terrible lol. So I'm gonna touch up some spots.
I'm struggling to figure out how to mount it so I painted the interior shell and cut out the spots where it hit the chassis, so maybe I can mount it to that somehow. I lost a headlight lens, too :(

But here are a couple pics.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well its basically done. It looks funky though, so I don't know.... I need to lower it and then figure out how to make it not look like crap.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

OK so I basically got it mounted where it sits at a decent height and when all the way depressed, the wheels are right at the fender (as in the pic). The problem is it resets and leans way back. I can't take any weight off the top back there. Any suggestions?

Old 01-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Looks pretty cool!!! My suggestion for your sagging suspension issue would be to either find a second smaller spring to install on that back corner with the stock spring (like a helper spring) or find one slightly stronger and replace it with it. The other option would be to take that spring off, stretch it slightly with your hands and reinstall it. You may have to redo it every now and then, but its free...
Canadiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiankrawler View Post
Looks pretty cool!!! My suggestion for your sagging suspension issue would be to either find a second smaller spring to install on that back corner with the stock spring (like a helper spring) or find one slightly stronger and replace it with it. The other option would be to take that spring off, stretch it slightly with your hands and reinstall it. You may have to redo it every now and then, but its free...
Thanks man.

A quick search for 48mm shocks didn't really turn up anything that looked like it would work, and a pen spring is too small, so I think I'll cut a small 3/8 strip of heat shrink and put it on there as a spring stopper of sorts. that should stiffen it up a bit.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

OK so this took care of 99% of it. It still hangs every now and then but resets itself quickly. Once I get the valance painted it'll be done, until I get new wheels and tires

My 1/24 temper build, questions inside - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my Scx10 F350 CrewCab build. (pics inside) turbotron Axial SCX-10 63 03-04-2014 02:12 PM
Creeper Noob Questions Inside BadMojo Venom Creeper 18 04-30-2011 07:01 AM
Howdy, please step inside. New Axial build... Leavnya Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 12-02-2008 09:25 PM