Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Three2won's Micros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Three2won's Micros

I've been contemplating starting a build thread for my micros for a while, and now that I have a Fungi Specter-T chassis on the way, I am going to start one. I'll also keep this thread updated with my home course build, one outside with rock and dirt, one inside with carved styrofoam. There's a 1:18 scale project I'm working on too, but that will stay a secret until it's more developed. One more thing, I have plans to make my own 1:20 Unimog body, just need to actually get started

The first few pics will be of my original trekker and the bodies I have made/assembled for it then when all the parts get here I'll start on the Specter-T

Here's the OG trekker the day I got it home, it's the only "stock" picture I got since I jumped into easy/cheap/free upgrades before running a pack through it 'cause we're RCC and we don't leave anything alone

Original body still but mods made. Hair tie limiters, full droop, new wheels and tires, trimmed fenders, new motor, more aesthetic changes, and a winch made from a retractable key card thingo

Then I decided to make my own body, not based off anything in particular, just bits and pieces from different trucks, it turned out ok, but I eventually had to get more scale

So the next body was a 1:20 scale ZJ, this meant extending the links and shocks. The links were easy, I just used all-thread and 1/8" tubing. For the shocks, I used rods ends connected to finishing nails sleeved into mechanical pencil tubes cut down. I'll try to find/get some pics of them for y'all, they work great for a droop set-up

After a while I motivate myself enough to make some bumpers for the ZJ, the front is styrene and the rear is alluminum. I also was able to drop the body another few millimeters, every bit counts!

That's all I've got for pictures now, but I have a 1:20 Gremlin body I'll try to get some nice pics of this afternoon after work

Last edited by three2won; 08-27-2015 at 06:09 AM.
three2won is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Three2won's Micros

I figured I could also include my workbench build/permanent work in progress

Here's basically where I started, the drywall needs some spots patched and that recess in the wall is screaming for (easy) shelving. I don't have a ton of light down there yet, so a couple pics aren't all that great but it'll get the point across

Drywall fixed well enough, this is a basement afterall.

Shelving started in the nook

Pegboard up, still need to hang everything

This is where I stopped for the night, tons of organizing left to do

A couple little details I like enough to point out; that little shelf that holds my Testors bottles, Plastruct and random glues. Also the thin piece of wood attached to the bottom right side of the pegboard holds all my tiny clamps. And I'm not sure yet as to what the shower tension rod will hold, but I had an extra so...

Last edited by three2won; 08-25-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a 1:20 Yota model on eBay someone had (badly) started for cheap and could tell from the pics that some pieces weren't in the box anymore, but I decided to make a truggy and sure enough, it had all the parts needed for that.

The front left fender is missing a chunk, so I'm going to weather this body and turn that into a rust spot

I spend a decent amount of time making sure my ride height is more or less realistic, I can't stand the overly lifted look a lot of micros seem to have. I'll try to get some pics of the tubing I started when I get home tonight

Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here's the 1:15ish scale D90 I found. It's all plastic and a set of Sumo axles with Miclaws on widened rims fits pretty damn perfect if you ask me. This one will take the longest to finish for sure but will be awesome when it's done. You can see the itty bitty Sumo body on the roof rack in one of the pics

The axle width is perfect with the widened rims (Danally's mod I believe)

This one has taken a back seat to the Specter-T build, who's chassis should be showing up any day now

Here's a pic if you haven't seen them already, Jim has done a hell of a job getting these ready, I've been tracking the shipment everytime I get a chance

I know once I get this one built it's going to be REALLY difficult to not get an Eclipse and a Goat someday...

Last edited by three2won; 08-25-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

My Chassis and sub-chassis both just showed up at my office! I ordered them separately, chassis from Shapeways, sub-chassis straight from Jim, and the shipping gods decided to be nice and give em to me at the same time.

The build can start tonight!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I've got some assembly help on facebook. I will be mirroring the information here as well. I was hoping I could get your parts to you in time.
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Sounds good Jim, and yeah the parts got here but I realized pretty quickly I forgot two bearings for the tranny soooooo... more waiting, sorry guys. Here's a parts dump pic to hold you over.

I haven't decided if I'll use the Miclaws, they're so large it makes the truck look a little silly. I ordered some baja claws and RC4WD beadlocks to have a smaller set of wheels wtihout having to switch out form my trekker chassis. I've always liked the look of baja claws on Wraiths and wanted to replicate that with the Specter-T
Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Guess what!?! I missed more parts needed for the Specter-T build...

oh well, I did focus some on my Yota truggy though and got most of the styrene tubing done on the back, I'll let the pics explain. This was my first cage build but it's turning out better than I expected, can't wait to get some paint on it

tonight I'll try to start the tire carrier bit
Old 09-05-2015, 06:24 AM   #9

Looking great so far!
geerickeyimsorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Ugh...these wheels...they look great but there are so many little screws that all need locktite, so glad they're done. Fronts have solder wrapped around the rim

Cardboard is my best friend when I paint, toothpicks and painters tape are good to have too

So worth the work, these things feel like they'd hold the bead through a tornado

More painting happened today but it's nothing too big. I'm waiting on ball studs because I didn't realize the redcat ones were smaller
Old 09-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

more a painting happened today on a couple projects before the rain struck, but the clear coat on the Yota was done in the basement later to avoid any drizzle

I'll get some stickers on the Specter panels once the whole rigid together, I have to make it work with the Sumo axles which I'd appreciate any help on, the shocks don't seem to line up right atm

the irony behind spending the time painting a body only to add rust and mess it up is not lost on me

I might have a thing for orange rigs...

Last edited by three2won; 09-08-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

First off, huge shoutout to Fungi for the replacement sub-chassis after I broke mine trying to snap shocks in place. This is one of the reasons I love RC so much, the community is strong and we are in it together. TOY TRUCKS FOR LIFE

A word to the wise...for the safety of your sub chassis rails, install the ball studs into the shocks then attach the ball stud to the chassis in your desired location. The 3D printed part is reinforced where the shocks attach, but I'm using sumo axles and the middle points don't seem like they are going to work.

I still can't get over how helpful Jim has been. He cares about his customers, that's for sure.

Side note, here's an update of the workshop, new lighting is great but it's still a mess

I still really need a chair, but the floor isn't very level, any ideas?

Last edited by three2won; 09-09-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

A 3 legged stool wound work on the unlevel floor.
Keep up the good work
hobby machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The rain has been pretty steady here in Atlanta this week so some more painting happened in the basement. Eventually I might build a vented spray booth, but for now it's just a cardboard box sitting on a trashcan

The little Yota is masked and ready for black on the window trim and interior

Tomorrow is The Porter's (amazing beer pub in Little 5) 7th anniversary so I'll be day drinking, but hopefully that liquid encouragement will get me started on my indoor mountain/rock course
Old 09-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Slowly but surely this little Yota is coming along, finished painting this weekend. Weathering will start soon, in fact the cage has been scuffed up a bit already with sand paper and my exacto. Old tire has also been rusted from a previous build

Old 09-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Saturday morning was spent in bed nursing a hangover, but a bit of electrical work and hair of the dog got me going again, nothing like the smell of solder to get you up and going, the beer doesn't hurt either

SHE'S ALIVE!

more than enough articulation for me

Quick question for the Sumo drivers on here...are the axles geared waaaay faster than the Trekker's? I know they aren't worm gears, is this the reason it's so fast with no torque? It would make a fun micro FOFF but it's too jumpy to be a crawler.

Can I fix this by binding my DX3C and messing with the throttle through there?

I'm running a Trekker trans, Sumo axles, Sumo ESC, and a 90T Danally motor. Any ideas how to slow this guy down?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

The sumo axles are geared way faster! Even with a high turn Danally motor like a 110t would be fast, more capable, but still not a crawler. My mega truck has them under it with a losi trans and Danally stroker 90t, and it's quick, not super fast, but a little too quick for crawling. My suggestion would be to put in losi axles and keep the 4-wheel steer. Or fungi has a losi style crossmember that is made to mount the sumo trans. That would be another option.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Three2won's Micros - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Sidewinder Micros or Mamba Micros ? jaloos Electronics 22 09-24-2013 08:13 AM
how many micros from the uk? thesnake505 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 0 02-22-2012 02:45 PM
new to micros customcrawlerX Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 11-30-2010 11:36 AM
My new Micros rockwild Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 0 11-24-2009 07:45 PM