Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: HBX Devastator = Sumo XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HBX Devastator = Sumo XL

Hi all

I've been on the hunt for a Redcat Sumo for a go-fast project I have in mind. Sumos seem to be nla in the UK and expensive to import, but along the way I came across these:

Banggood - HBX Devastator

I thought it might be a cheap and nasty clone to start with and could barely find a mention of it on any forums - bar one post on here. However at £65 I was ready to take a chance. I found them advertised for up to twice this price, so I figured it would be at least as well made as the sumo and perhaps just wasn't selling well.

Given the lack of info available on these I thought I'd do a review. Apologies for the awful pics.

Out of the box it performs way better than the McRc - and from what others have said about the sumo it's a step up from that too. No torque twist, low CoG, 6v power, stretched wheelbase, wider track and long can motor make all the difference. I'm guessing the outboard suspension design helps too. I haven't taken it out yet but the tyres are soft and quite sticky - they seem to grip well indoors at least.

With the body and posts removed I think its a pretty funky looking thing and I'm pretty stoked with it.

From first impressions the quality seems to be more or less on par with the losi - I've not seen the internals yet but I'd guess it isn't ballraced. The driveshafts appear to be at the limit of their extension and may prove a weak point, but the materials have a quality feel and everything seems well put together, with no binding or other immediate issues.

Banggood are stocking some HBX spares including the rx/esc and wheels. There are a lot of obvious differences to the sumo and I don't have one for a true side-by-side comparison, but they appear to all be bolt-on changes and my guess is that HBX are using the Redcat axle and gearbox moldings and internals.

Obviously mine isn't going to stay in one piece for long - potential for a scaler is a mixed bag.

The best bit is the chassis will break down into lots of handy alloy spacers, standoffs and crossmembers and I like the outboard mountings on the axle.

The wheels have a massive offset and are perhaps less useful for scalers, but are nicely made and at least give us another option. I kind of like them - the added track width will be helpful for my go-fast build so they may stay.

The real weakness in the overall package for me is the 5-wire system for the servos, with non-standard sockets on the esc/rx board. I can't imagine why the extra wires are needed and I can't see any noticeable performance benefit.

The stock servos are okay but could do with a bit more grunt and I suspect have plastic internals. The 5-wire system means a servo upgrade is going to involve replacing the esc/rx too, and this is worth considering before you buy.

The 6v Li-ion battery is an interesting choice - it gives plenty of power and decent run time but I'm hoping the esc will handle a 2S LiPo.

Another plus is the long can motor which appears to deliver plenty of grunt. top speed is similar to the losi at about 1mph. As far as I can tell it is the same diameter as the stock sumo and (I think) losi units - it's length and position require a long wheelbase though and it looks a bit vulnerable to rock rash.

On a side note I'm pretty sure this and the sumo gearmotor are the high power 30,000rpm units available from Polulu - If the axle and transfer case internal ratios are the same as the sumo, and my calculations are right, it is running a 70:1 gearbox. The smaller can ones come in a variety of ratios - I've ordered a 5:1 unit which should be good for 14mph - hopefully it will leave it with adequate torque, we'll see.

The measurements given in the sales literature are a bit confusing and inaccurate so here are mine:

Overall length: 194mm
Overall Width: 125mm
Wheelbase: 140mm
Axle width: 78mm (to outer face of knuckles)
98mm (thread tip to tip)
Wheel mount: 7mm hex
Wheel offset +3mm approx
Wheel OD: 25mm
Wheel Width: 20mm
Tyre OD: 54mm
Tyre Width: 26mm

Here it is up against a losi with milstone wideners and RC4WD super swampers:

And wheel to wheel:

The truck will stay stock for the time being as I have too many other half-complete projects ahead of it in the queue! Once it's been for a proper outing I'll get a better idea of it's ability in stock form, and the inevitable strip-down should provide some better info further down the line.

Comments welcome and I hope this helps someone else.
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: HBX Devastator = Sumo XL

yep not much info on this one in the forums
or the HSP 94480 1/24 crawler and there also the miniqlo

I am looking for a 1/24 crawler as I think the sumo stadium truck might not be as much fun.

But it seem that they wont be worth it in the long run or im I wrong?
as those losi trekker are 150 a pop. But it seem you can get easily 30+minutes run time with bigger batts.

Im looking to buy a few micros for this holidays.
arevir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I think it depends what you're after really. If you want high(ish) speed bashing then the stadium truck is probably worth a look and seems to be the cheapest hobby-grade option out there. Personally I find longer-lasting interest in crawling, low speed trailing and all the possibilities for creating a more realistic scale truck, whether its micro or 1/10 stuff.

I'd avoid the HSP altogether - from what I've read it is a cheap chinese LMSO (losi-micro-shaped-object) and probably wasted money, unless you're in the market for a cheap plastic ornament.

Despite the price ticket the trekker needs modding to realise its true potential - a 2s lipo at the very least. The sumo comes with AA batts out of the box so a lipo upgrade is a must - it is also known to be top heavy in stock form. I don't know much about the miniqlo - like you say there isn't much info around and I've never found anyone who even stocks them over here.

If you want a capable micro crawler out of the box with no hassle the HBX is the hands-down winner. Quality is on par with the losi and the modding options are all there, so even at full price it is worth the money imho.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks to me like a great starting point. I bought a second hand Sumo here in the states and have been pleased. The trekker initial price turned me off, and the more realistic axles on Sumo attracted me ultimately, much the way you mention here. Hobby grade anything is meant to be improved, so buying with a lower initial buy in just lets us buy more toys.

Got lipos coming for mine too, can't wait to see another review and build in the micro section! Is there a body in mind, or style this build will follow?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yes totally agree on the point about lower entry price.

Well the project I have in mind is to re-use an existing body:

It came off an old Taiyo Wild Willy clone, and is currently sat on the McRc chassis in the original post.

I only completed the build a few months ago - I'm pleased enough with how it turned out, but ultimately it is compromised in too many areas to ever be a particularly capable crawler.

I'm thinking of taking it back to its roots and converting into a go-fast wheelie truck - and since it isn't really a true scaler the monster wheels might as well stay - a proper Small Willy II. Maybe I should cut the grille and lay the bars horizontally and remove any genuine sponsor decals to complete the rere look ;)

The plan being that this will release the McRc running gear for another body I picked up for a more scale project. I also have a second McRC build underway and I need to get that finished first... although I'm now having perverted thoughts about reverting both my McRcs back to stock and selling them to fund a few more of these

I'm not letting on what the other two bodies are just yet - suffice to say that upcycling 80s toy-grade RCs gets to be addictive! I've not seen any of them used before either.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Here's a quick mock-up of where it'll be going:
Old 10-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Personally, after seeing that last pic, all I can think is FOFF! I'd keep the wheelbase, limit the suspension a tad for torque twist, and put a Losi trans and Danally big block motor in it. Something like a 55t. then set the body down low, with the wheels out front, flip the tires around, and put in a 3s lipo! Then just blast that thing up some sand hills, and watch it fly. Just make sure you stock a lot of extra driveshafts.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Lol yeah R Billy FOFF was my first thought too.

The wheelbase would keep it nice and stable but it would be a ridiculous stretch - I might go somewhere in between though and I was thinking brushless?

I doubt the stock electrics will take 3s so what would my options be for a small esc?

Like this maybe:
Old 10-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Brushless would work too! That pic is awesome by the way.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm starting to like this idea more and more, thanks RB
Old 10-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yeah, me too. I ave an extra set of sumo axles laying around, and I've spend my spare time today searching eBay for a good 1/20 scale body.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sparks1337,

Can you get a measurement from the tips of the servo horns? I've got a body in mind to do a micro VW wheelie van, but if the body isn't long enough I may have to use a Losi instead. I'll need at least 180mm to clear the body front to back and 75mm side to side to clear those plates. I'll need to shorten up to a 120 wheelbase, too. All of which looks easily doable.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Hi Brake Weight

Truck length measured from tip of servo horn to tip of servo horn if that is what you're after is 182mm at normal ride height, 187mm with suspension at full compression (the link setup means the axles rotate forwards slightly under compression).

The links all have about 1.5mm of thread visible at each end, so wheelbase could probably be reduced by about 6mm total using the stock links.

The chassis plates are made from 1.5mm alloy. The wider pair (where the lower link mounts are) are 49mm apart - a total chassis width of 52mm. The inner main chassis plates are 30mm apart with outer width 33mm

I'd say 120mm wheelbase using the stock chassis is doable by moving the top links in and relocating the electronics. You'd maybe need to play around with the top shock mounts too. The long can motor will limit how far you can bring the axle in - there is 10-15mm available but clearances are tight with the lower links and driveshaft. I think it could be done though
Old 10-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

So life got in the way and I didn't get it outside this weekend. The driveshafts have popped out a couple of times - not surprising given how fully they're extended. I'm going to shorten the links a bit as there is literally only 2-3mm engagement between the two halves.

I also have my first victim - the battery. Either it isn't charging or I've somehow fried it on its first charge. No light on either the charger or the truck to indicate what is going on when charging, and the charger plug doesn't go fully into the socket on the esc/rx so maybe I'm doing something wrong. The charger is reading 9.9v on my multimeter so maybe the connection isn't being made.

Anyway I've swapped it out for a 350mah lipo and the truck is better for it. No real increase in top speed but more punch and torque. The battery I have doesn't quite fit the case but it just about wedges in.

Stock battery says 500mah 6.4v Li-ion on the wrapper but is shaped suspiciously like 2x AA cells...
Old 10-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Good deal. I'll be ordering one later today.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I got a confirmation of shipment email already on this HBX. There's no telling when it'll get stateside, though.

I did a little research to see what's available and found that HobbyKing has cheap micro servos and 3ch 'orange' receivers. I have an older dx3c that would work with them. I also have a 10a nonbrake ESC for my Trekker and a 30a with brake for my baby girl's Mini T en route, too. Both ESCs for $11 shipped.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Great stuff. Hard to argue with HK prices. Don't think you'll be disappointed with the HBX either.

Well my battery is definitely shagged. It is reading 8.1v on the multimeter but doesn't want to share those volts with the truck - goes a bit then kind of browns out, goes a bit etc. Maybe I was just unlucky.

I'm not particularly bothered as I wasn't planning on keeping it. I have plenty of small lipos (super cheap from HK) and the good news is the esc seems to handle the extra 1v without any trouble.

I'm getting too excited about the whole Formula Offroad idea. Parts are winging their way to me from the four corners of the globe as I type...
Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I read somewhere, here I think, where someone put small outrunner on their Trekker. That may be a cheap option for more wheels speed for yours.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
I think it depends what you're after really. If you want high(ish) speed bashing then the stadium truck is probably worth a look and seems to be the cheapest hobby-grade option out there. Personally I find longer-lasting interest in crawling, low speed trailing and all the possibilities for creating a more realistic scale truck, whether its micro or 1/10 stuff.

I'd avoid the HSP altogether - from what I've read it is a cheap chinese LMSO (losi-micro-shaped-object) and probably wasted money, unless you're in the market for a cheap plastic ornament.

Despite the price ticket the trekker needs modding to realise its true potential - a 2s lipo at the very least. The sumo comes with AA batts out of the box so a lipo upgrade is a must - it is also known to be top heavy in stock form. I don't know much about the miniqlo - like you say there isn't much info around and I've never found anyone who even stocks them over here.

If you want a capable micro crawler out of the box with no hassle the HBX is the hands-down winner. Quality is on par with the losi and the modding options are all there, so even at full price it is worth the money imho.
Hi, yes I looked at the stadium trucks and for the same reason, I prefer to build a rock course with the kids and have fun navigating it, than driving in the family a fast little car.
Thank for the tip on the HSP.

I think about ordering on of each and see.
But as I would have to order 4 crawlers dont know if I should get 2 losi and 2 devastators. or 1 losi and 3 devastators.

Here a video of the three 1/24 trucks I dont know what he is saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3An4Cx-EWJE
arevir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevir View Post
Here a video of the three 1/24 trucks I dont know what he is saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3An4Cx-EWJE
That makes two of us mate. Not a clue what he's on about Still, it is interesting to see the side by side comparison. The HSP didn't do too bad given its smaller tyres - seemed to be binding tho and one of the shocks looked bent on the close-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevir View Post
I think about ordering on of each and see.
But as I would have to order 4 crawlers dont know if I should get 2 losi and 2 devastators. or 1 losi and 3 devastators.
They're both capable trucks so I think it's just down to personal preference and what mods (or not) you have in mind. Tough call, but a nice one to have to make

HBX Devastator = Sumo XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odinthor's Devastator Wraith Odinthor Axial Wraith 14 06-07-2015 07:26 PM
HBX 1:8 crawler Charel Superclass Crawlers 1 09-24-2012 08:21 AM
HBX/Redcat 1/8 crawler ? crawlerswede Redcat Crawlers 0 06-28-2009 04:52 PM
Hot bodies Devastator rims C2_CANTILEVER Tires and Wheels 1 05-03-2008 10:31 AM