Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #521

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Not sure if this is helpful, but you could probably make a transmission out of an old servo. I have an old savox with a fried board, but the motor and gears were good so i took out the board unsoldered the motor and soldered on some jst connectors to work with an esc. Then i tapped all the way through the metal output gear with a m4 tap and used some m4 threaded rod as the output shafts (the shaft that attaches to the axle). It is pretty slow but has massive torque! (207 oz in) If you want more speed you can glue the spur gear (the first gear that the motor drives) to the 2nd to last gear (the one that makes contact with the output gear) and this lowers the torque but gives you about 5x the speed from my experiences. I run the glued gear servo trans on a rig i built that uses trekker axles. It is probably about half the speed of a stock trekker on 2s. Hope this can maybe help someone
Du4designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #522

Following the instructions here, I did the servo motor upgrade and then threw in an old hobbywing esc... Couldn't help but try a 3S. Long story short - a wheel came loose and I lost one of the drive pins. Anyone know where I could source some spares?

As an aside - the servo motor handled 3S like a champ. Barely got warm during the 3 minutes of drifting around the living room.

Thanks!
Cometcyclonemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #523

For the drive pin, I lost one when redoing the suspension, and I had a paper clip that was basically the exact same diameter. I just cut a short piece off, slid it through the hub, and it worked perfectly. Still going strong!

Glad to hear the servo motor handles 3S! Mine should be arriving this week, so I’m eager to see how it does. I’ve tried 4 different motor setups now and haven’t been happy with any of them, but this one sounds like it should do the trick.
guards951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #524
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by guards951 View Post
For the drive pin, I lost one when redoing the suspension, and I had a paper clip that was basically the exact same diameter. I just cut a short piece off, slid it through the hub, and it worked perfectly. Still going strong!

Glad to hear the servo motor handles 3S! Mine should be arriving this week, so I’m eager to see how it does. I’ve tried 4 different motor setups now and haven’t been happy with any of them, but this one sounds like it should do the trick.
This the bit that goes through the drive shaft ends? I think I used a m2 screw on mine and cut off the head afterwards. Didn't exactly plan to reverse the mod. LOL
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post
This the bit that goes through the drive shaft ends? I think I used a m2 screw on mine and cut off the head afterwards. Didn't exactly plan to reverse the mod. LOL
I’m assuming he’s talking about the pin that fits into the wheel hex, since that would certainly be possible to lose if a wheel comes off.

I did the same thing with the driveshaft on one of my motor/trans setups, though! Haha I had an extra set of driveshafts, so I wasn’t too worried about it. In fact, there’s still a piece of a screw holding my Ambush’s driveshaft on, since U-joints/driveshafts have never become available for them. Works like a charm!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #526

Alright, the verdict is in: the servo motor reigns king! Good gosh, what a huge improvement. The dual motor setup was GARBAGE. I stripped out the gearboxes on 4 motors within about 15 minutes of wheeling. The Sumo motor and trans was plenty torquey and had great control, but the factory plastic gears were junk (again, stripped them very quickly), and it was VERY slow. I went to the Devastator metal gear upgrade and long can motor on 3S, and it was better (still very slow, but less so), and the metal gear upgrade STILL leaves the plastic output gear (come on, there’s only TWO GEARS in there. I wasn’t asking for much... Haha). But as you might imagine, the last remaining plastic gear stripped, and there is no readily available metal replacement. At this point, I just let it sit until I could come up with something better later on. ENTER THE MG958.

All along, I wanted to do something that could use the original transfer case, if possible, so when I saw this servo motor mentioned, I was quite interested. Ordered it up, soldered my beefier wires and connectors on, filed the hole in the trans open to fit the motor (quick and easy), dabbed a little fresh grease in there, ground down the upper rear link bolt to clear the motor, and VOILA! Looks like it could be a factory part.

The low speed control is significantly better than the stock motor, the torque is fantastic (and it easily picks up the front tires from a stop on 3S, if you feel so inclined), and not only does it have all of the fun ‘thrashing’ speed of the stock motor, but it actually has more of it! Literally nothing but pros with this upgrade, no cons. It makes it an awesome little all-arounder, but if you don’t want all of the speed (which I’m quite enjoying), finding a pinion with a couple less teeth would make the torque ridiculous. If you’re on the fence...DO IT. You won’t be disappointed.

Last edited by guards951; 10-19-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #527

Yup, the pin that fits into the wheel hex. RC4WD will sell 4 for $12 including shipping. Trying to find out how much of that is shipping / if it's worth it if I'm already ordering something else. Otherwise, sounds like I'll have to find an appropriately sized screw.

Regarding suspension, I used: HOT-RACING MCC543T06 Blue Internal Spring Air Shocks 43mm. Swapped out the lower end for the RC4WD ones. The uppers I sandwiched with the included o-rings. Provides more travel than the stock (straightened) links do and IMO look great.
Cometcyclonemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #528
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guards951 View Post
Alright, the verdict is in: the servo motor reigns king! Good gosh, what a huge improvement. The dual motor setup was GARBAGE. I stripped out the gearboxes on 4 motors within about 15 minutes of wheeling. The Sumo motor and trans was plenty torquey and had great control, but the factory plastic gears were junk (again, stripped them very quickly), and it was VERY slow. I went to the Devastator metal gear upgrade and long can motor on 3S, and it was better (still very slow, but less so), and the metal gear upgrade STILL leaves the plastic output gear (come on, there’s only TWO GEARS in there. I wasn’t asking for much... Haha). But as you might imagine, the last remaining plastic gear stripped, and there is no readily available metal replacement. At this point, I just let it sit until I could come up with something better later on. ENTER THE MG958.

All along, I wanted to do something that could use the original transfer case, if possible, so when I saw this servo motor mentioned, I was quite interested. Ordered it up, soldered my beefier wires and connectors on, filed the hole in the trans open to fit the motor (quick and easy), dabbed a little fresh grease in there, ground down the upper rear link bolt to clear the motor, and VOILA! Looks like it could be a factory part.

The low speed control is significantly better than the stock motor, the torque is fantastic (and it easily picks up the front tires from a stop on 3S, if you feel so inclined), and not only does it have all of the fun ‘thrashing’ speed of the stock motor, but it actually has more of it! Literally nothing but pros with this upgrade, no cons. It makes it an awesome little all-arounder, but if you don’t want all of the speed (which I’m quite enjoying), finding a pinion with a couple less teeth would make the torque ridiculous. If you’re on the fence...DO IT. You won’t be disappointed.
Thanks! I just received my rig and was looking at thread from the beginning reading for a motor upgrade, all along sayin wouldn't a servo motor just work? So I jumped to the end and saw your post,,,lol.

Love this little guy, so much potential!!! It's not gonna be as wild a other 1/18 crawlers out there but this is more scale than performance. I ordered the motor from banggood for $10.00!!

Last edited by Twisted Links; 11-04-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Twisted Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #529
Pebble Pounder

FINALLY got off my butt, shot a video and actually used my comp to play with it, adding music, stupid intro and whatever.
think it came out decent but, damn, i wish i had the camera turned 90 degrees...... hope yall enjoy.

https://youtu.be/u_hepnmVOok
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #530
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=SurfinStud;5769045]FINALLY got off my butt, shot a video

Looks like it has good power.
its kinda jerky. Is that your driving or the way the power comes on. In the process of building mine and I order the servo motor, hoping its smooth so it looks scale when moving.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #531
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=Twisted Links;5769320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
FINALLY got off my butt, shot a video

Looks like it has good power.
its kinda jerky. Is that your driving or the way the power comes on. In the process of building mine and I order the servo motor, hoping its smooth so it looks scale when moving.
BOTH. Ill spend more time driving it and get you more video.
I think more drive time on rocks will get me more familiar with it, resulting is better throttle(finger) control. Also, it drives way different than my scx10, soooooo, going from one to the other is a bit to refamiliarize with.

Gearing is a bit tall, so its ability to creep is limited too.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #532
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=SurfinStud;5769326]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Links View Post
BOTH. Ill spend more time driving it and get you more video.
I think more drive time on rocks will get me more familiar with it, resulting is better throttle(finger) control. Also, it drives way different than my scx10, soooooo, going from one to the other is a bit to refamiliarize with.

Gearing is a bit tall, so its ability to creep is limited too.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I got my motor in and running right. I see what you mean, you cant pull out silky smooth. but it is smooth when crawlin, decent wheel speed, and I guess it was easy to get in....
All in all I'm super happy with it now. I moved the lower links to the outside of the chassis rails, removed the white bushing from inside the shocks and loaded it with grease, loaded the diffs and transfer case with grease and with just a $10 motor and nothing else I think she's perfect.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #533

This is mine.

Andersen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #534
Rock Stacker

Can anyone suggest an esc? She pulls out to fast! Need more control in tight spots.

https://youtu.be/pI8nmXpC3ng

Last edited by Twisted Links; 11-27-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #535
Rock Stacker

That tekin is too pricey. The other two are just what the doctor ordered. So in changing out the esc I guess I'll need a mini receiver too?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #536
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That tekin is too pricey. The other two are just what the doctor ordered. So in changing out the esc I guess I'll need a mini receiver too?
Yes you'd need a radio and receiver since the rc4wd is an ESC/Rx combo. I recommend the gt3b or gt3c especially if you have or plan to get other RCs.
They are available shipped for around $35-45 and have 3 channels. The receivers are inexpensive and easily found.
Another plus is the radio is easily hackable to get you 6 or 8 channels, button mapping to make any of the buttons work with nearly any channel and you can make the buttons work as momentary short press,long press, 2 position, 3 position, or multi position step rate in any order

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #537
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Yes you'd need a radio and receiver since the rc4wd is an ESC/Rx combo. I recommend the gt3b or gt3c especially if you have or plan to get other RCs.
They are available shipped for around $35-45 and have 3 channels. The receivers are inexpensive and easily found.
Another plus is the radio is easily hackable to get you 6 or 8 channels, button mapping to make any of the buttons work with nearly any channel and you can make the buttons work as momentary short press,long press, 2 position, 3 position, or multi position step rate in any order

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Ya that's what I thought, just didn't know if you could bypass just the esc and still use the receiver part. I have a transmitter for my other RC's. It's just most receivers are so dam big. My main transmitter is a spectrum right now,,,(not bragging). haha. But I think I might have an old Axial radio system lying around, those receivers are pretty small.
You know its really a shame,,,I didn't wanna get into the electronics of this model. I thought I paid to much already, and I'm really happy with everything after the servo motor was installed,,,,it's just that take off speed is not slow enough.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #538
I wanna be Dave

I love my hacked gt3b's, but I also have a Spektrum DX3R I use with my Losi Micro ESCs.
Btw If you have the Axial AX-3 transmitter with the AR-3 receiver then that same receiver is used for the GT3b and GT3c, that should allow you to use cheap replacement/spare receivers and make for an easy transition to a GT3B or C if you'd like all those extra features of a hacked radio.

Axial AX-3 Review and tear down
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #539
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I love my hacked gt3b's, but I also have a Spektrum DX3R I use with my Losi Micro ESCs.
Btw If you have the Axial AX-3 transmitter with the AR-3 receiver then that same receiver is used for the GT3b and GT3c, that should allow you to use cheap replacement/spare receivers and make for an easy transition to a GT3B or C if you'd like all those extra features of a hacked radio.

Axial AX-3 Review and tear down
That's some great info. Do you have a link to where I can look at one. I also use the dx3r. I'm used to using airplane controllers for my RC's that require more than 3 channels. But I like the idea you gave. Cause all my plane tx's are out of date FM's now.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #540
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That's some great info. Do you have a link to where I can look at one. I also use the dx3r. I'm used to using airplane controllers for my RC's that require more than 3 channels. But I like the idea you gave. Cause all my plane tx's are out of date FM's now.
Use a SR410, small and plenty of channels...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jimbo_wa is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM