Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

That sucks to hear. I would have hoped it was at least capable out of the box. Sounds like it will definitely need a motor swap, and maybe some 3s Lipo. id still love to see a video, even if it just shows its faults.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Thats a bit disappointing but it sure looks good in pictures. I'm not a big RR fan and that body looks mighty tall and heavy to me. It's great having another Micro on the market it will be interesting to see what people do with it and then theres the after market goodies that will be offered. How do you feel about its durability out of the box?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Too small not at all interested in this thing other than some of the parts on it
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

Sounds, kinda disappointing but I'm still excited to get home and try mine out. I wonder if some ball point pen springs would help to soften up the suspension. Looks like a mint body will be for sale soon.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Pics of the parts laid out on a workbench would be helpful for those too lazy to search for it.

Will any of the LMC/Trekker or Sumo suspension parts crossover?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
I ran this around a bit and one thing for sure is its going to need some gearing work, unless a replacement motor can help this thing has no torque at all, it has trouble pulling itself over a water hose. Shocks will also need to be worked on because these have absolutely no travel at all and are very springy.
This is why I stopped myself from preordering one. I wanted to hear the feedback first. I was expecting issues since it's from RC4WD. I'm sure we can find alternative shocks, but the gearing is more concerning. Keep us posted.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Oh dear I'm suddenly a lot less excited about mine arriving

How's the turning radius? I heard that sucks too.

Hard to believe RC4WD have got it so wrong on this. Let's just hope the performance issues are all sortable with some tweaking.
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #88
Rock Stacker

I'm not giving up on it till the cat has been run over a few times...
Clingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #89
Pebble Pounder

Lol yeah there's always the cat to take it out on
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #90
Pebble Pounder

Got mine as well, cute, but a bit under performing. Motor/gearing has no grunt and flex is barely a quarter tire. Oh well, ill order a tamiya motor and mess with gearing. Was for putting around my desk anyways. I did like the amount of metal througout the chasis though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
derycksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Default RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Ditch the stock electronics, like any axial kit, ditch the shock for some micro kings, and everything will be great. I was planning to wait for the first batch to come out, but I'll likely buy one regardless of the feedback because o like to tinker. Hope they are actually decent. I got a micro sidewinder and sr410 sitting on my bench for when I pull the trigger.

Hopefully they will release a few hop up parts eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapascrap
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #92

So this might be a stupid question but how for the love of all things do you bind the remote and receiver?
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh117 View Post
Ditch the stock electronics, like any axial kit, ditch the shock for some micro kings, and everything will be great. I was planning to wait for the first batch to come out, but I'll likely buy one regardless of the feedback because o like to tinker. Hope they are actually decent. I got a micro sidewinder and sr410 sitting on my bench for when I pull the trigger.

Hopefully they will release a few hop up parts eventually.

Micro Kings? Unless I've missed something those don't exist. The only micro crawler shocks I'm aware of are factory shocks from the various micro crawlers and clones & the hot racing shocks for the micro Crawler, which most agree are very stiff.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #94

I'm still excited even though I kinda knew when buying it that it would probably perform poorly but so would the trail trekker if it didn't have the worm drive, so it should be simple enough to setup a reduced gear motor to that transfer case as for the suspension I was thinking you could take the spring out of the shock and just run stand alone much softer springs and keep the shock for stability and scaleness at least the axles are cool right?
crawler will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Out of the box performance is a big ZERO, BUT, scale wise and for durability I think it's at least a solid 9, almost everything is metal, the details of the body is really really good for something this small, even the gas tank filler is recessed like it should be, the 1/10 version of the Defender does not. It even has a fan in the radiator, windows appear to be a 1 piece unit that screws in, easy to remove, paint, replace. We just need to work on the drive train, and frankly, thats what I find fun about this hobby is making things work better and look nicer.... Then beating the crap out of them and breaking them...
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

agreed, all the kits when stock don't perform very well in some way. This may not have crazy articulation, but it looks scale for a typical Street vehicle. Articulation can likely be easily tinkered with anyway. Not having one I don't know what gearing changes will be easy, but a Danally Predator motor should help. Even with the lackluster reviews I'm interested in one to build from. IMO the axles, wheels,and trans/transfer case alone seem worth it. The body like others have said is also very detailed.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #97
Rock Stacker

Looking more closely at mine out of the box, the build quality is excellent. All of the metal frame, gearbox, and suspension parts are well made, and the body is top notch plastic model quality.

There are two problems which need to be addressed. First, it is geared too tall with a weak motor. It needs a shorter gear ratio and a more rpm-happy motor to get some climbing grunt.

Second, the shocks are just bad. They are 40mm long with 6mm of travel and zero static sag. This severely limits the car and makes it bounce around like a tyco truck. Easily correctable, but I really thought this company was known for not doing things like this? 3/4+ tire of flex would be easily achievable with a different shock setup.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #98
Rock Stacker

Hold the phones, gents. These shocks have guide bushings in them that kill 3mm of travel... But the 4-link keeps them from binding anyway. I'm pulling the bushings to see what that gets me.

Last edited by Clingman; 03-14-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Micro Kings? Unless I've missed something those don't exist. The only micro crawler shocks I'm aware of are factory shocks from the various micro crawlers and clones & the hot racing shocks for the micro Crawler, which most agree are very stiff.

Yea your correct, don't exist yet, but we can hope right?

I also agree with your other shock options.

tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Anyone know any motors that will work with this?
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM