Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Maybe adjust dual rate or expo if you can? Not sure if that's a feature on the D90 radio.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #302
Pebble Pounder

Is the futaba rx okay when hooked up to something else? sounds like the stock unit is toast - I pulled mine out after one quick turn but don't think it has expo or dr.

How fast is it at full tilt with the losi trans? More pics/vid of your setup wouldbe good
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
Is the futaba rx okay when hooked up to something else? sounds like the stock unit is toast - I pulled mine out after one quick turn but don't think it has expo or dr.

How fast is it at full tilt with the losi trans? More pics/vid of your setup wouldbe good
i fixed the problem with my futaba setup it turned out to be that i actually need the antenna screwed into the transmitter, i had it out due to it being snapped but it still works with only a few of the shafts. guess it was not picking up a signal so when it fell out of signal it would just throttle randomly and the steering would jerk about.

it goes allright at full throttle, as much as id like. its nice to know that if i get stuck on anything i can give it a bit of gas and it comes right. will try do a video just dont know how to edit and upload video or to what site
crawler will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #304
I wanna be Dave

So I was looking at the pictures in this thread trying to see what might work for a divorced setup.
Sparks1337 has said if you flip the transmission/transfer case upside down to get the motor facing forward it will make the drive shaft outputs raised and increase the angle, while that may not be the worst thing it looks like the trans can be bolted facing the other direction (facing the motor forward) without flipping upside down. Is this correct?
If that's possible the next problem is the front axles offset pumpkin now being on the wrong side. From what i can see the diff cover and driveshaft input are removable and swappable (potential for a pass through axle) so swap the cover with the driveshaft input, swap knuckles and hubs left and right and face the axle with the pumpkin on the other side. Now the motor is facing forward which alone gives a bit better weight bias, but you can also as Ive said before and done by a few attach a plate with a shaft and pinion to the trans. Now you can attatch a drive shaft to that pinion shaft output and connect to a motor plate up front. that motor plate will have a larger spur gear for more reduction and the extra room up front should allow you to mount a big block or a stroker. Does this make sense to everyone?
Finally assuming the electronics are lighter than the battery move the electronics rearward maybe to where the battery is, and mount the battery in the center as far forward as possible without hitting the new 3rd driveshaft that will go from the motor to the transmission.
Hopefully someone can try the changes to the axle and flip the transmission around to see if this works.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:57 AM   #305
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronuclear View Post
Good thinking Jimbo wa, I saw a YouTube video of a red D90 1/18, by Alan ch, which I believe is also using a double motor set up. But his reverse was a lot quicker then forward. Looks good... Update us when you mounted yours.

How are you linking them electronically, can the ESC take it? How did you fix the gear motor to the vertical 'checker' plate?
Cheers - I'll be using a Castle Micro Sidewinder so the ESC will easily take both motors. Will try them in parallel first and series if I think a 3S battery will help the low speed crawling...

The motors will be bolted using the twin holes at the front of the motor, I'm not drilling anything else until I get the motors!
jimbo_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #306
Pebble Pounder

Jimbo-wa yours loos like a sensible option to me - could it be wired up to vary the power to front and rear motors for a kind of dig setup?

Spoo everything you've said is do-able, apart from the space for the battery which might be optimistic - a 180 is going to fill the space behind the servo all the way back to behind the shock hoops, but there might be some space.

I looked at swapping the front axle over but decided not to - to keep it truer to the 1:1. It would be a nice looking setup though.

I'd like to see more detail from crawler will on his divorced setup with the losi trans - particularly the pinion/shaft from the trans and how it is built up from 1.5mm dia for the pinion to 3mm for the new drive shaft.

Last edited by Sparks1337; 04-20-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #307
Rock Stacker

Hi,

Anyone know the stock ESC current rating? I know the voltage ranges between 6-8.4v. Will this take 3s lipo?

Thanks.

Last edited by Aeronuclear; 04-21-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #308
Pebble Pounder

Given 3s lipo is 11.1v I doubt it!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #309
Pebble Pounder

So, version 3 is here and I think I've cracked it

This time I've used 1.5x2x4 ballraces and a 48T spur/15T pinion for a 3.2:1 ratio, giving a final drive of 122.4:1. Bigger spur means there is room for the 180, but man is it a tight fit.

Top speed is about 3mph, but it has bags of power even on tickover and crawls really nice. Gear mesh is loads better this time too, it runs like a swiss fookin watch

Will try and get some video tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #310
Pebble Pounder

Thanks to Andrew Walker on the 1/18 Gelande fb group for putting me on to the place to get gears:

kkpmo - Zahnräder M0.3 M0,3 für Modellbauer, Faller Car, Modelleisenbahn
Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #311
Quarry Creeper

Hell yeah! Awesome job!
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #312
Pebble Pounder

It had a gentle trial run in the woods this morning:

Backwoods Bobble

And then it got a bit frisky with a tree:

Vertically Challenged
Old 04-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #313
Rock Stacker

Quote:
It had a gentle trial run in the woods this morning:

Backwoods Bobble

And then it got a bit frisky with a tree:

Vertically Challenged
Awesome. Did you use stock ESC? The throttle control on the vertical climb seems good.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 AM   #314
Pebble Pounder

I used a cheapo 20A ebay esc but I'd think the stocker would work. Control comes from the low gearing as much as the esc

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #315
Rock Stacker

Spun the cover aside because I didn't want to take the yokes off. Those o-rings are tiny. Note the adjustable gear mesh.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Clingman, in your photo, which one is the motor pinion? How is the motor fixed to the gearbox?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #316
Rock Stacker

In that image, the one at the bottom of the image is the pinion. There are two screws holding it in. One can be seen in the gearbox under some grease. The other is much longer and goes from the outside of the assembled gearbox, all the way through the gearbox and then into to open hole in the motor that can be seen in the picture.
Clingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #317
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clingman View Post
In that image, the one at the bottom of the image is the pinion. There are two screws holding it in. One can be seen in the gearbox under some grease. The other is much longer and goes from the outside of the assembled gearbox, all the way through the gearbox and then into to open hole in the motor that can be seen in the picture.
Thanks mate, so the shaft of the pinion is about 1.5mm? Just want to estimate the overall diameter...
Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #318
Pebble Pounder

Yes shaft dia is 1.5mm - overall pinion dia is about 4.5mm or just under. No idea what pitch the gears are tho.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #319
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yes shaft dia is 1.5mm - overall pinion dia is about 4.5mm or just under. No idea what pitch the gears are tho.
Pitch - 80dp or 0.3M
Old 05-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #320
Rock Stacker

PHP Code:
[PHP][PHP
[/PHP][/PHP]Guys, I have been trying the double motor set up, only half way through. but I am stuck on the drive shaft pin. The motor fit nicely but I can't figure out how to fixed the shaft of the reduction motor to the drive shaft. Tried drilling a hole in the motor shaft but it's damn hard. Broke my drill bit with only a shallow hole.

Any idea guys? Thanks

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM