Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #401

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Thanks for the feedback. Got a green star to help!

Will look for a G2...
Dr.Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #402

I ordered 2 of the DDT 90T motors and ordered 80p 6t and 8t pinion gears. Also, switching out the ESC and futaba receiver. Also have an 1806 1650kv brushless motor but the diameter might be too big. Will see how it turns out and report back.
kbzx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #403

BTW I'm new to scale crawlers and it's really cool so far. Some of the mods I'm seeing are amazing but a little above my head. Hope y'all don't mind if I ask some noob how'd you do that questions. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #404
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbzx35 View Post
BTW I'm new to scale crawlers and it's really cool so far. Some of the mods I'm seeing are amazing but a little above my head. Hope y'all don't mind if I ask some noob how'd you do that questions. Thanks!
I'm in the same boat, total newb. But so far no one seems annoyed to answer some basic questions.
Let us know how the motors and pinion work for you.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #405

Definitely will. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
I'm in the same boat, total newb. But so far no one seems annoyed to answer some basic questions.
Let us know how the motors and pinion work for you.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Strange View Post
Very helpful thread guys!

Looking into getting a G2 and modding it. I was wondering about your using the micro outrunner, what was the solution for the pinion?
And what about using a bigger ESC to handle 3S? Will it fit?
I already have two LiFe 3S batteries (a max amp 3S/950 mAh and a intellect volt 3S /1450 mAh.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
The stock pinion fits the micro outrunner. The only modding you have to do is pull the c clip off the motor shaft, and gently press the shaft to come out the other side of the motor, and drill two new holes in the little removable motor mount. I tore apart the stock motor and used it as a template to drill the holes. The esc I use says only 2s on hobbykings website, but on the esc says good up to 13v. I've ran the same esc in a losi micro sct on 3s with no issues. I tried the g2 on 3s, but the motor didn't like it. It would cut out at full throttle

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
e30nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbzx35 View Post
Definitely will. Thanks!
Looking forward to reading the post!
Thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30nate View Post
... pull the c clip off the motor shaft, and gently press the shaft to come out the other side of the motor, and ...
Hi e30nate,

Sorry to be a pain, but do you mind clarifying something here? Is the c-clip and motor you mention the brushless 1? Am I right in assuming you push the shaft through the brushless motor to allow the output end to fit inside the stock transmission case, or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks to all of you knowledgable folk for the info in this thread.
Like most on this thread, I got a 1/18 D90, the electronics crapped out on me, and I'm trying to find a mod that's within my capabilities and tooling.
e30nate's brushless mod seems the most straight forward to go with for now.

Cheers
Cthulu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #409

Oh, and does anyone know where people are getting their scale interiors from?

Are they just taking them from the 1/18 die-cast models that go for around $60-70?
Old 01-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulu23 View Post
Hi e30nate,

Sorry to be a pain, but do you mind clarifying something here? Is the c-clip and motor you mention the brushless 1? Am I right in assuming you push the shaft through the brushless motor to allow the output end to fit inside the stock transmission case, or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick?

Like most on this thread, I got a 1/18 D90, the electronics crapped out on me, and I'm trying to find a mod that's within my capabilities and tooling.

Cheers
Yes on the brushless motor. When you get it, the shaft comes out the side away from the tcase since its made to mount a propeller. There's a grub screw that secures the mount to the motor, loosen that and take off the mount, then remove the tiny c clip off the shaft. You don't need the c clip as the shaft is pretty firm in the motor. I used a small deep socket to set the motor on and gently tapped the shaft through with a hammer. You can see in the pic the shaft is barely sticking out. I left a little room so the shaft isn't hitting anything inside the tcase.

As for the interior, my body is a 1/20 model kit, so I just used the interior for that and hacked around to fit it to the chassis. The body is held on by 1/4" magnets from home depot

Old 01-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #411

Thanks e30nate.

I figured that was what you were meaning, but wanted to double check. I think your motor upgrade looks the most promising for my skill level!

I actually had a dual motor mount as well, but had a similar issue as someone else mentioned earlier (think it was aeronuclear).
Not sure of the best way to describe it. 1 axle seemed to be OK and have a steady, constant rotation, but the other set of wheels almost seemed to pulse. With each rotation, the wheels would slow for an instant.
You could feel it when manually rolling the truck as well.

I came to the conclusion that it was due to the corresponding drive shaft being too kinked (beyond its operational angle), as a quick test with the stock motor and tcase mounted to max out the kink in the driveshaft had the same uneven rotation.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #412
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulu23 View Post
Hi e30nate,

Cheers
Maisto diecast models; or revell or similar plastic models.
I intend to have two front seats and the backseats to have a tarp over it(as if it is full of junk and has a tarp ontop) to hide the electronics.

My idea was to get a truck plastic model and incorporate it's interior(dash, wheel, seats and door panels) into the G2. Finding 1:18 plastic models seems difficult; :24th or 25th is everywhere but obviously wayyy to small. If you have anoth3et idea I would be interested to hear it.

I dont intend to do interior for a while but it is on the list.
E30Nate, how well do the magnets work? I was considering a hinge on the rear and magnets in the front. I assumed it could pop open durong flex or odd angles though..

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-21-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #413

The magnets work great! I tumbled it down about a 6ft rock all the way to the bottom and it stayed on. Just broke a mirror off. A quick reglue and it's good as new

Old 01-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
... Finding 1:18 plastic models seems difficult; :24th or 25th is everywhere but obviously wayyy to small. If you have anoth3et idea I would be interested to hear it...
I think I know where some of the interiors are coming from, but I've been trying to find out if there's anyone out there maybe 3d printing 1. I know that ebay fella KDmodels (that does a dual motor mount) sold a 3d printed 1, but it didn't look that great, and I'm reluctant to order from him to be honest.

I've seen a fair few videos and pics of people using the interior shown in the videos below -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nadI2noAaiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EZXlezgGxw

The 2nd video says the interior was taken from a die-cast model.

I think they are taken from a Universal Hobbies 1/18 defender die-cast, shown below -

They cost around £65 GBP, so around the $70-80 mark. I think theres a few parts to scavenge though. The side foot step plate/bar would be pretty handy too.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #415

Quote:
The stock pinion fits the micro outrunner. The only modding you have to do is pull the c clip off the motor shaft, and gently press the shaft to come out the other side of the motor, and drill two new holes in the little removable motor mount. I tore apart the stock motor and used it as a template to drill the holes. The esc I use says only 2s on hobbykings website, but on the esc says good up to 13v. I've ran the same esc in a losi micro sct on 3s with no issues. I tried the g2 on 3s, but the motor didn't like it. It would cut out at full throttle

Thanks, this is very helpful!

I was wondering what you used for the steering servo. I suppose you are using a standalone receiver, esc and servo, correct?

I came across this micro, and people run it at 11.1v. Any thoughts?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/18-11-20...unner-10g.html
Thanks for your time!
Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #416

Using the stock servo still

Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #417
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Using the stock servo still

Still using stock servo here too. Although, I did blow the big bucks($5) on an Emax ES08MA ii servo. Will do links and servo swap by the end of the week.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #418

I ordered the savox ultra torque micro servo and it isn't a direct fit unfortunately. It's perches too high up on the stock mounts so the servo horn doesn't clear the body mount tabs on the frame. Not sure if I want to do any mods to get it to work though, because it seems the stock servo is working well enough.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #419

e30nate, another quick question if you would?

There's a couple of similar motors on hobbyking at the moment, so I was hoping you'd confirm which 1 it is? Keen to use the tried and tested 1!

I think it's 1 of these 2 -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hextroni...er-2000kv.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/18-11-20...unner-10g.html

It looks more like the first 1 I think. I thought you'd linked to it earlier, but I can only find the link for the ESC now.

Cheers
Old 01-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #420
Pebble Pounder

What are y'all doing for the axle nut to replace the wheels? Tiny socket, ground down to fit inside the hub??

And where do I find 2-56 threaded rod?
Local hardwares only supply 3+
Have my rod ends, ball studs and even servo; just need the rod and sleeves..

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM