Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #501

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

I currently have the Tekin ESC hooked up to the towerpro mg958 servo motor "awesome setup for both control and scale speed", but not a plug and play mod. Before that I used the Crawler Central aluminum dual engine mount paired to 300rpm gear reduction motors, and the stock ESC/reciever. This was definitely an upgrade over the stock motor, and worked well for about two weeks of hard use, but eventually the rear motor's gear reduction set stripped. I think that set up would be good for someone looking to climb stuff indoors at a slow pace on surfaces that wont stress or bind the drive train much. It also had a tendency to lurch a bit as the two motors weren't perfectly synced despite being wired in parallel. I wouldn't even bother with the factory motor as it does not have the power to climb over anything, and will likely burn out trying, especially when the weight of the truck is increased by doing interior/exterior accessories.
Uponone19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #502
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone19 View Post
I currently have the Tekin ESC hooked up to the towerpro mg958 servo motor "awesome setup for both control and scale speed", but not a plug and play mod. Before that I used the Crawler Central aluminum dual engine mount paired to 300rpm gear reduction motors, and the stock ESC/reciever. This was definitely an upgrade over the stock motor, and worked well for about two weeks of hard use, but eventually the rear motor's gear reduction set stripped. I think that set up would be good for someone looking to climb stuff indoors at a slow pace on surfaces that wont stress or bind the drive train much. It also had a tendency to lurch a bit as the two motors weren't perfectly synced despite being wired in parallel. I wouldn't even bother with the factory motor as it does not have the power to climb over anything, and will likely burn out trying, especially when the weight of the truck is increased by doing interior/exterior accessories.
I've been looking at the micro Mamba X to replace the Trekker electronics, but I honestly think it's overkill at this scale. The Trekker ESC not needing a separate Rec saves a lot of room I need for modeling. And the Trekker unit has great range from barely moving to a pretty fast clip for it's size when hooked to the servo motor.

It has plenty of torque to climb, doesn't hesitate on the trigger or cog and is very perky. I really don't feel it needs an expensive ESC/Rec combo, but that's just me.

That being said, the Trekker electronics are getting stupid expensive as they are impossible to find without buying a whole other used Trekker to get them. Sooo, there's that.
stopmojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #503
Pebble Pounder

Here's my current setup. Battery will probably be under the hood to allow for interior room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stopmojim; 07-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #504
Pebble Pounder

This is the exact donor car I am using. There are more varieties too.

Everything on these die cast models is an exact fit to the RC4WD D90. I mean, it's as if they came from the same molds.

It's a lot to shell out for basically an interior, but it is highly detailed and fits the scale perfectly.

It'll take major modification to custom fit it to the D90, but the scale is awesome.

UNIVERSAL HOBBIES 3886 LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90 STATION WAGON 1/18 BLUE | eBay
Old 07-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #505
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopmojim View Post
This is the exact donor car I am using. There are more varieties too.

Everything on these die cast models is an exact fit to the RC4WD D90. I mean, it's as if they came from the same molds.

It's a lot to shell out for basically an interior, but it is highly detailed and fits the scale perfectly.

It'll take major modification to custom fit it to the D90, but the scale is awesome.

UNIVERSAL HOBBIES 3886 LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90 STATION WAGON 1/18 BLUE | eBay
That's not that bad when you look at the cost of most RC4WD accessories. Knowing them they'd charge $20 for the dash, $45 for the seats, $30 for the fender interiors, and then any minor details of course at a cost. Good to know it's a direct fit to scale. Makes it less of a risky investment to purchase a donor toy!
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #506
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post
That's not that bad when you look at the cost of most RC4WD accessories. Knowing them they'd charge $20 for the dash, $45 for the seats, $30 for the fender interiors, and then any minor details of course at a cost. Good to know it's a direct fit to scale. Makes it less of a risky investment to purchase a donor toy!
True, overall it isn't that bad for all the parts you can get out of it.

And yeah, even though the RC4WD parts are so stupidly expensive, I will probably get a few of them. Just not the tin foil crap.

I noticed they have a motor replacement/upgrade for the 1/18 D90 now. Five bucks (4.99) ain't bad. I wonder how it compares to the servo motor hack? I don't think it's enough of an improvement either way without doing something with the crappy esc/rec too.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #507
Pebble Pounder

Ill look into ordering the new upgraded motor they offer. I mentioned before that I bought a pack up OEM motor and it seemed to be perkier than the original that fried. I am curious if that motor is similar to this upgraded one they now offer or if its just a healthier OEM that I have. We will see.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #508
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
Ill look into ordering the new upgraded motor they offer. I mentioned before that I bought a pack up OEM motor and it seemed to be perkier than the original that fried. I am curious if that motor is similar to this upgraded one they now offer or if its just a healthier OEM that I have. We will see.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Yeah, keep us posted on that upgraded stock motor. I'm curious about it too.

I love the servo motor though. No issues with this setup.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #509
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
Almost got all my painting done now.......thank god this thing is soo small for my sausage fingers.

What color is this? Is it a Tamiya paint and is it a semi-gloss/matt finish or is that just the lighting?

I love it.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #510
Pebble Pounder

Buttoning up my suspension now. Ill have pictures in my thread within a few days of the mounts and such. I need a limiting strap idea for the front; the driveshaft, on 100% full extension, can pop out... soo, before i strip the transfer case or whatever if it pops out and locks up during a drive, i decided to shorten the suspension shaft a hair to help. but its not enough.. Also i have already made new front and rear Shock Mounts, that are about 8mm taller; which allow the new suspension to let the body rest at almost the same height as stock but holy crap do they have more travel than stock.

Anyways, do yall have a decent idea to use for a limiting strap?
I was looking at 1:1 stuff, but i havent come up with a decent scale design to carry over.
Currently, just to test things and get by, i am simply using PowerPro Fishing line as the strap. I guess, for now, 30 lbs. test braided line should be plenty for this application. haha
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #511
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
Buttoning up my suspension now. Ill have pictures in my thread within a few days of the mounts and such. I need a limiting strap idea for the front; the driveshaft, on 100% full extension, can pop out... soo, before i strip the transfer case or whatever if it pops out and locks up during a drive, i decided to shorten the suspension shaft a hair to help. but its not enough.. Also i have already made new front and rear Shock Mounts, that are about 8mm taller; which allow the new suspension to let the body rest at almost the same height as stock but holy crap do they have more travel than stock.

Anyways, do yall have a decent idea to use for a limiting strap?
I was looking at 1:1 stuff, but i havent come up with a decent scale design to carry over.
Currently, just to test things and get by, i am simply using PowerPro Fishing line as the strap. I guess, for now, 30 lbs. test braided line should be plenty for this application. haha
I am very excited to see what you come up with for the suspension. because the stock is awful and I haven't been really able to crawl with it yet while I consider different idea's.

as for a strap, I'd say the easiest solution would be to check out a local craft store, Those plastic strings for like kid's bracelets would work, or something very similar to that would work. they make thin leather string as well that may be a more durable alternative.
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #512
Pebble Pounder

WoW!!
The basics needed to completely transform this into a capable little crawler are;
1. Servo motor upgrade: For the torque necessary (Post489 Page25 )
2. Aftermarket receiver/ radio: For the added adjustments capable.
3. Aftermarket Electronic Speed Controller: to control everything better
4. Custom steering link: so the flex isnt limited (Post360-Page18 )

5. Custom shocks: for better than twice the flex [TownsendTDi's Frankenstein shocks]
6. *Taller shock mounts(8mm): to maintain OEM ride height
7. **Additional weight in the front: on climbs she likes to lift and tumble backward.
I figured I could add this info here for anyone who starts following this thread and doesnt read the whole thing through.

*My taller shock mounts are currently made of Styrene, and they are working fine, but i dont have a lot of run time with them. they are 3 sheets, of .40 glued together. pics to come.

**To elaborate on the final note, the addition weight in the front, i have 28 gram weights i have used. I used two and the results were immediately notice.
I sat them just behind the servo, in front of my battery and it worked perfectly. I intend to test with just a single weight; hot glue both or one as need be; shoot a video and get yall some live action shots of this thing climbing, trailing and just cruising around. I am pretty impressed by this little guy, right now.

addition items to definitely consider
8. custom links: strengthens the links and really sets things off for looks, imo.
9. Tires: should be higher on the list, but tires are a necessary upgrade. The Baja Claws have been the ticket for myself. Plan to get the Rock Crushers soon too.
10. Aftermarket Micro Servo: So far mine has not crapped out, but i do have backups(Emax ES08MA_2) just in case.

killed my second OEM motor last night, bumped the radio from 111% to max, 120% output to channel2 and shortly after she croaked. so, back on goes the beastly servo motor.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 08-17-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #513
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post
as for a strap, I'd say the easiest solution would be to check out a local craft store, Those plastic strings for like kid's bracelets would work, or something very similar to that would work. they make thin leather string as well that may be a more durable alternative.
i'll look into that, maybe chain link for a necklace or bracelet, or the leather wouldnt be a bad idea if i could make a good looking mount for it on both ends.
may be awhile, but ill come up with a good alternative beyond this fishing line. lol
Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #514
Rock Stacker

Took some videos of mine: the link might be a bit slow Be patience...

https://quik.gopro.com/v/F2SoFoo8Ef/

https://quik.gopro.com/v/KGcTe845TZ/

Guys I broke one my front axle cup ( the bit where the dog bone slot into), mine is shaved to get wider steering angle but the N20 is just too torque.

Any one know if this small part can be bought separately? Or full front axle?

Last edited by Aeronuclear; 08-26-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #515

love the setup, which motor and battery are you using to drive it?
Thanks
Quote:
Here's my current setup. Battery will probably be under the hood to allow for interior room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjdavemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #516
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdavemus View Post
love the setup, which motor and battery are you using to drive it?
Thanks
I'm using the servo upgrade motor and the Venom 250 mAh LiPo.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #517

Many Thanks for the quick response, motor from Towerpro MG958 servo, right?
Quote:
I'm using the servo upgrade motor and the Venom 250 mAh LiPo.
mjdavemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #518
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdavemus View Post
Many Thanks for the quick response, motor from Towerpro MG958 servo, right?
Yep.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #519
Rock Stacker

hey everyone, forgive me if someone has already asked this but has anyone tried a Danally 90t motor in this? I don't think he makes them anymore but I have one laying around that I got from him a year or two ago. it had more power and torque than the regular losi crawler motors, which I think were stronger than the one they put into this guy.
twomicros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #520

Hey gents,
I finally received my MG958 servo and tore it apart. Following tips posted earlier made it so much easier. I'd given up on the truck but damn is it 10x better than stock. I purchased a redcat sumo and used the motor and trans from it. While it certainly had more power it had no speed. The servo motor is so much better.

Thanks for the pointers folks. I registered just to say that
Frizz is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM