Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Recommendations on a new rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Recommendations on a new rig

I’m looking at the proline rig and the rc4wd rig and unsure which one to go with, I also don’t know if there’s any others out there as I’ve been out of it for a couple years now
customforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Recommendations on a new rig

V2 RC4WD or ECX 1/24 Barrage, both need some mods, but are great starts.

I'd avoid the Proline Ambush because their trucks seem to go in and out quickly, spare parts and hopups were originally promised and then cancelled.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks I’ll look into that other one
customforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The RC4WD gelande II seems much more "crawler ready" out of the box vs the barrage. Having owned the barrage and done the mods to it I should of just got the Gelande first and spent the extra 120$CAD

Heres a small list of RC4WD parts that are better than the barrage:

Good crawler motor/trans
Beadlock Wheels
low volt cut off
Steel driveshaft
Steel bumpers

I don't own the RC4WD yet but I'm thinking of selling my barrage to get one. A used losi trail trekker or losi micro crawler are defiantly the best to actually drive, just not very scale looking.
Toyotarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

If you’re looking to purchase an out of the box “scale” crawler, buy the rc4wd 1/18 gelande. If you want actual performance and individualized scale uniqueness, then buy a used Losi trail trekker/micro crawler and a 1/20 model kit and have some fun! Building your own scale micro crawler is 1000 times more rewarding and enjoyable. Unless you prefer to have a rig that looks just like everyone else’s who put one in their online shopping cart. But that’s just me.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
If you’re looking to purchase an out of the box “scale” crawler, buy the rc4wd 1/18 gelande. If you want actual performance and individualized scale uniqueness, then buy a used Losi trail trekker/micro crawler and a 1/20 model kit and have some fun! Building your own scale micro crawler is 1000 times more rewarding and enjoyable. Unless you prefer to have a rig that looks just like everyone else’s who put one in their online shopping cart. But that’s just me.
The only complaint I have about the Losi crawlers is finding parts for them considering these are discontinued . Not a big deal for me considering I have 2 complete chassis I can rob parts off. The trekkers are pretty good out of the box and don't need anything fixed. My complete trekker used I picked it up for the same price as my barrage so these are very affordable too.
Toyotarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Losi replacement parts are still out there on EBay. I seem to have an easier time finding parts for them than any of the other micros. Replacement parts are almost non existent for most micros. At least Losi had great stock and aftermarket support, and a lot of those parts are still out there if you’re willing to search. Even though they are discontinued.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have the rc4wd 1/18 rig. I love this thing, yes it was hard to spend $220 on this lil rig but I’m glad I did. In fact it took me 3 months to finally buy one. I always thought it was kinda crazy to spend $100 more and get a scx10 or something equivalent.

Pros;
Everything on the rig is metal except for the body and the transmission case (internals are metal)

Cons;
Truck is to slow for me
Minimal part availability

Yes everything is metal but for example if you happen to strip a ring and pinion in the axle then you gotta buy a complete axle set which I think are $60.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 AM   #9

I’ve got the Pro Line Ambush

It’s a good car. Metal frame, leaf springs, very realistic movements but some nervous motor and it’s funny to change their body with all 1/24 bodies you can find at the market
Them I bought the FTX Outback
It’s cheap and very similar than the Ambush but for this money you can play with no regards. Change motor with Mor torque and wear new bodies
And finally I got the RC4WD
this car with the new transmisión is fantastic, realistic movements, precision and good feeling with the throttle and yes perhaps it’s a lot of money but it depends that the time you spend with it. For me it’s no wasted money I use them more than the 1/10
Can anybody tell us how the Gecko 1/24 works I know some of you guys got it but I can read nothing about it I’m interested it seems a good car too
Andersen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

I've got an ECX Barrage 1/24 and a Losi Trail Trekker. I bought the Losi used and so it was lightly modded. The springs were removed and it seems to have some custom links made for it. I will say the Losi is much much more capable than the Barrage. The Barrage just seems to tip over on any kinds of rocks or obstacles and I can't find much in the way of upgrading the shocks/suspension. The Losi on the other hand turns out to have a worn out transmission casing and I am having trouble finding the Hot Racing aluminum replacement casing that fixes this issue. I ordered a set of the middle casings HR MCC3808 off ebay and the seller just messaged me back and said they listed the wrong part and what they had was for a Traxxas slash. So, if you can find the upgrade parts for the Losi transmission I think its a solid option. But it does have that weakness which I'm trying to remedy as we speak.
botlebruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Recommendations on a new rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Recommendations 864runner Axial Wraith 10 05-05-2016 07:36 PM
Need some recommendations for gearing russ350r Axial SCX-10 2 12-03-2014 09:20 PM
Recommendations NCSDRacing Newbie General 7 01-17-2012 11:02 PM
Recommendations sabohead Electronics 5 12-19-2010 03:31 PM