Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tamiya Wild Mini 4WD 1:32 RC Monster Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 AM   #1

Default Tamiya Wild Mini 4WD 1:32 RC Monster Truck

Hi there, guys. I thought I should make a thread like this, since I took many initial information of a donor car from here for my build. ...and since I accidentally have got forum account too...

A while ago (about 4 years) I saw a small chinese rc monster truck on ebay, that was a poor garbage toy without any suspension and decent steering, like all chinese toys are. But it had a very cute size. Then I thought it could be very nice to drive something this small over my keyboard and other table stuff, but there was no good car around in such scale. Off course after some search I found Kyosho Mini-Z Monster 1:30, that cost for good 170$; it was nowhere to be found, was rwd, got low profile tyres (it's monster-truck! omg!) and had some steering durability issues. After this I put my mini-rc intentions to rest for a while.

Not so long ago I searched for a nice cute gift for my little (27 y.o., 28 myself) brother for NY 2016. Occasionally I bought this:

I remember how we both played with such friend's toy (
but with 17011 Nissan Terrano '93 Paris-Dakar) when we were kids.

After this buy my small-scale-rc thoughts came to mind with new force, and I started to think that I'm skillful enough (bought Savage Flux and changed some basic parts, talk about skill, heh) to make a small hobby grade RC car out of this.

Then I started to search if there were any attempts to make something I wanted to achieve. Well... and there they were. There was even wood made suspension! But the most successful person was some japanese guy, made his slightly-out-off-scale car a long ago. Here is the video

https://youtu.be/FVxlhgkBrMU

(could someone embed it right, anyway?)

I knew I needed assembled axles in first place to make my build more easy. (I didn't look for a challenge, I just was forced to do Tamiya's job really, slacky bastrads).

Thank god there was Orlandoo Hunter around! Precision of it's plastic parts varied from bad to horrible, but I didn't need to make axles myself, right? %)

After a bit of work here is the result!

Parts used:

Tamiya Wild Mini 4WD kit №10
oh35p01 kit
oh35p01 ESC
Orange GR300 receiver
DualSky 220mAh 2s 25c lipo
HK-5330 Ultra-Micro Digital Servo
N20 Motor 6v 1:100

https://youtu.be/xpsrRQw3ouU - completed version

https://youtu.be/IjHVWl3drK4 - some middle work test with lunchbox body

I could post computer models of unique parts such as gearbox and frame, if someone interested.

And there is my LJ Scout Handbook, where I posted build progress, but it's all in... some kind of russian. Don't even try to google translate it. %)

P.S. I really appreciate if somebody would embed videos in this post.
BaNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tamiya Wild Mini 4WD 1:32 RC Monster Truck

Could you measure the exact wheelbase of the Lunchbox and is it the same as the Toyota?

Looks good for a micro monster truck.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

Well I kept wheelbase like original - 80mm. In fact all these Wild Mini 4wd kits differs only in body and its big accessories. All other parts are the same.

Last edited by BaNZ; 05-24-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:04 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Great job. Nice to see the orlandoo gear being used for something different
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #5

Nice Job,i want to make a same one like you did,can you Please post computer models,unique parts,gearbox and frame, i'm very interested.
brian001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Very nice build, I love those Tamiya minis, but always wished they were RC and had steering...you've done it!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

This is awesome! Now If only Tamiya would do something official like this, & Kyosho with the Overlands.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Nah, guys! It's always good to make something yourself! ...but time consuming ...and sometimes boring ...and expensive... ...and whatever.

Well, since my odd job got some attention I will shed some info on details of this build, but next time. I'm going to post you guys some useful numbers and pictures as I will make next truck the same, but with full aluminum drive train.

But for now you can check my blog banzfall.livejournal.com/ for pictures. I believe any experienced (and very impationed ) hobbyist would be able to build such truck in no time with such pictures (just skip boobs and dicks), heh.

Below you can check links for my computer models I made for this build.

I have used SolidWorks 2012 (running Windows XP, he-he-he!) for 3D models (but it will work in later versions). And CorelDraw X3 for 2D parts such frames (not sure about compatibility in newer versions).

"Heavy" version of transfer case I used in current project. It requires 4pcs. M2x10 bolts for case's halves and 10pcs. of M2x8 for frame mounting.

Grab it here.

"Lite" version, that I'm going to use in my next build. Only one M2x14 with nut and 4pcs. М2х8 accordingly.

Take it here.

And both versions of frames by this link. Sorry, but no screenshots as it doesn't look so spectacular.

Last edited by BaNZ; 01-19-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaNZ View Post
Nah, guys! It's always good to make something yourself! ...but time consuming ...and sometimes boring ...and expensive... ...and whatever.

Well, since my odd job got some attention I will shed some info on details of this build, but next time. I'm going to post you guys some useful numbers and pictures as I will make next truck the same, but with full aluminum drive train.

But for now you can check my blog banzfall.livejournal.com/ for pictures. I believe any experienced (and very impationed ) hobbyist would be able to build such truck in no time with such pictures (just skip boobs and dicks), heh.

Below you can check links for my computer models I made for this build.

I have used SolidWorks 2012 (running Windows XP, he-he-he!) for 3D models (but it will work in later versions). And CorelDraw X3 for 2D parts such frames (not sure about compatibility in newer versions).

"Heavy" version of transfer case I used in current project. It requires 4pcs. M2x10 bolts for case's halves and 10pcs. of M2x8 for frame mounting.

Grab it here.

"Lite" version, that I'm going to use in my next build. Only one M2x14 with nut and 4pcs. М2х8 accordingly.

Take it here.

And both versions of frames by this link. Sorry, but no screenshots as it doesn't look so spectacular.
Awesome!!!thanks for the sharing~looking forward to see your new project.
brian001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:49 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Tamiya Wild Mini 2WD 1:32 RC Monster Truck Test Run

https://youtu.be/sewWibwkMlg

https://youtu.be/_5jW-6UkJC8
Attached Images

Last edited by sangyue; 07-09-2017 at 03:54 AM.
sangyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #11

Sam any intention on offering a kit of that to use with the Tamiya Mini 4WD kits? I would love to make a simple RC out of the Heavy Dump truck.
Shucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #12

This is so freaking awesome!!! Nice job.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucky View Post
Sam any intention on offering a kit of that to use with the Tamiya Mini 4WD kits? I would love to make a simple RC out of the Heavy Dump truck.
Thats a great idea!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaNZ View Post
Hi there, guys. I thought I should make a thread like this, since I took many initial information of a donor car from here for my build. ...and since I accidentally have got forum account too...

A while ago (about 4 years) I saw a small chinese rc monster truck on ebay, that was a poor garbage toy without any suspension and decent steering, like all chinese toys are. But it had a very cute size. Then I thought it could be very nice to drive something this small over my keyboard and other table stuff, but there was no good car around in such scale. Off course after some search I found Kyosho Mini-Z Monster 1:30, that cost for good 170$; it was nowhere to be found, was rwd, got low profile tyres (it's monster-truck! omg!) and had some steering durability issues. After this I put my mini-rc intentions to rest for a while.

Not so long ago I searched for a nice cute gift for my little (27 y.o., 28 myself) brother for NY 2016. Occasionally I bought this:

I remember how we both played with such friend's toy (
but with 17011 Nissan Terrano '93 Paris-Dakar) when we were kids.

After this buy my small-scale-rc thoughts came to mind with new force, and I started to think that I'm skillful enough (bought Savage Flux and changed some basic parts, talk about skill, heh) to make a small hobby grade RC car out of this.

Then I started to search if there were any attempts to make something I wanted to achieve. Well... and there they were. There was even wood made suspension! But the most successful person was some japanese guy, made his slightly-out-off-scale car a long ago. Here is the video

https://youtu.be/FVxlhgkBrMU

(could someone embed it right, anyway?)

I knew I needed assembled axles in first place to make my build more easy. (I didn't look for a challenge, I just was forced to do Tamiya's job really, slacky bastrads).

Thank god there was Orlandoo Hunter around! Precision of it's plastic parts varied from bad to horrible, but I didn't need to make axles myself, right? %)

After a bit of work here is the result!

Parts used:

Tamiya Wild Mini 4WD kit №10
oh35p01 kit
oh35p01 ESC
Orange GR300 receiver
DualSky 220mAh 2s 25c lipo
HK-5330 Ultra-Micro Digital Servo
N20 Motor 6v 1:100

https://youtu.be/xpsrRQw3ouU - completed version

https://youtu.be/IjHVWl3drK4 - some middle work test with lunchbox body

I could post computer models of unique parts such as gearbox and frame, if someone interested.

And there is my LJ Scout Handbook, where I posted build progress, but it's all in... some kind of russian. Don't even try to google translate it. %)

P.S. I really appreciate if somebody would embed videos in this post.
how did you do the axles? i checked out your blog but a bunch of pictures are no longer available. i noticed that you used the tamiya press on nut and the wheels are unaltered. i cant figure out how you got the tamiya axle into the differential and make it all work. especially the front axles. how did you turn the solid shaft into a cvd? please you gotta tell me hahaha its killing me, thanks
thinktinker888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Absolutely AWESOME!!! Man, great work all around.
distress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktinker888 View Post
how did you do the axles? i checked out your blog but a bunch of pictures are no longer available. i noticed that you used the tamiya press on nut and the wheels are unaltered. i cant figure out how you got the tamiya axle into the differential and make it all work. especially the front axles. how did you turn the solid shaft into a cvd? please you gotta tell me hahaha its killing me, thanks

That's how https://www.imagebam.com/image/1e52611174509514

Quote:
Originally Posted by distress View Post
Absolutely AWESOME!!! Man, great work all around.
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2023, 09:12 PM   #17

Hi, guys. After all these years I get at it again.

Last time one of pets drop this little car, so frame shock mount got broke and I need to make new frame (with old design). There is nothing new.

Meanwhile I installed new aluminum shocks from orlandoo hunter to make my chassis a little more stable (it didn't work well, though). Ordered other tune shocks for orlandoo to experiment with suspension more.

(couple on the left is stock ones)

(gotta wind up preload to the max)

It's kinda tricky to fit such big wheels in such dimensions without clipping them every other part around and keep all this great suspension articulation.

Check this.

So I got to trim footsteps. (More customization, less Tamiya )

Kinda it's resolved issue, but turning wheels clips frame on very end of turn position with suspension suppressed fully. So I need to redesign frame and possibly relocate shock mounts. Got to trim wheels arches on body too (god will forgive me, I hope.)

Also I started to work on second version of the project. It's gonna be more of monster truck then crawler. (130 motor, 40mm shocks and original gearing 1:74,5)

For now I made some video for you guys to enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLRhl_ylcOg

some fancy photo

Last edited by BaNZ; 01-07-2023 at 04:08 AM.

Tags
1:32, 1:35, mini, tamiya, wild 4wd

Tamiya Wild Mini 4WD 1:32 RC Monster Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hobbyking 4WD WARRIOR WILD TRUCk lcbsc Newbie General 3 02-16-2016 02:11 PM
Mini Monster 4WD help needed Stoovey2004 Chit Chat 17 10-29-2005 11:50 PM