Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/24 Pro-Line "True Scale" Ambush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1/24 Pro-Line "True Scale" Ambush

The Ambush is at the top of my Christmas list for wifey. I've been on the hunt for a Ford Econoline van body in 1/10 scale, to slap on top of a crawler, for a couple years with no luck, but I did come across a nice die cast 1/24 body made by Johnny Lightning that looks to be a perfect fit for the Ambush... unless someone knows of a different Econoline body (15 passenger would be awesome!) or can print one?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #102

Does anyone have a clue what size the wheel nuts are? My included wrench stripped on my first try due to being made of very soft plastic. I think they are 4.5mm but I want to ask you guys before I spend any more money on nut drivers that do not fit.
Shucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucky View Post
Does anyone have a clue what size the wheel nuts are? My included wrench stripped on my first try due to being made of very soft plastic. I think they are 4.5mm but I want to ask you guys before I spend any more money on nut drivers that do not fit.
Yes they are 4.5mm
mikel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #104

Thank you Mike. Im a long time looker of this forum but just joined today. Really enjoy the Ambush so far. Build quality is very nice and looking forward to experimenting with it. So far for me, the best set up is 1 leaf at each corner and the tiny shock springs left in place. The rig was totally bottomed out with the tiny shock springs removed. Love it so far!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #105

I agree, I took the shock springs out and mine sat bottomed out so I put them back in. I'll have to play with removing a leaf or two. I have to wait until I get a smaller hex driver to be able to make any more adjustments.
mikel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel81 View Post
I agree, I took the shock springs out and mine sat bottomed out so I put them back in. I'll have to play with removing a leaf or two. I have to wait until I get a smaller hex driver to be able to make any more adjustments.
thats interesting. I'm still running a single leaf and no springs and it isn't bottomed out. Maybe my leafs had more bend in them.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel81 View Post
Suspension is a funny thing. Normally the coil spring determines ride height and the shocks just keep the springs from moving fast and being bouncy. On the ambush the "shocks" are actually the springs and I feel the leafs are more for looks and may act more as a shock than a spring normally would. When I remove the spring from the shock body the leaf shackle just sits down on the frame. I think maybe moving the shackle to a different mounting hole may help but I don't have a 1.3mm tool yet. I thought mine sat low because I added weight and the hard body also adds weight but if someone else said theirs bottoms out then maybe not.

And I got this metal hot wheels body the other day. My wife spotted it actually and said we had to get it. Now after looking at it I think it is the same body from a few pages back.

The green frame is only about 5mm too narrow I think I am going to widen it and trim to fit around the shocks.

And maybe glue some hexes into the tires.
Interesting about the leaf springs being different stiffness.

I would run no springs in the shocks and all three leafs, but I might move the short bottom leaf to the top above the main leaf or remove it entirely. I have one of those HotWheels Grave Diggers and that body is good looking, but it's heavy die-cast pot-metal. You'll probably want some heavier wheels or something to compensate weight down low. Looks like great fit though.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #108
RCC Addict

So you guys that have been running these , how does the motor seem , also has anybody looked into a replacement , or upgrade motor yet
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #109

Ive tried removing the small and medium sized leafs with and without the shock springs still like the single leaf at each corner with shock spring installed. I had most articulation with 1 leaf and no shock springs but road bottomed out which I did not like. The motor seems okay and I say that only because Im unsure how limiting a factor the worm drive gears are in each diff is when it comes to increasing speed. The tiny stock motor and factory gearing are good on torque though.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #110
Rock Stacker

After watching all the videos and reading what I could , I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Ordered me one , should get it by Sat the 8th.
Waiting for it now.
AZDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
So you guys that have been running these , how does the motor seem , also has anybody looked into a replacement , or upgrade motor yet
IMO, no need to replace. Unless you need more speed, but otherwise the platform is very solid on power for a crawler.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #112

any way to get more torque less speed? Like predator 100t motor in losi trekker setup? Anyone figure out a four link front to open up steering? Mine grabs the leafs without much turning. Lastly. any fix to get reverse to actually work? Thanks, keep em round and rolling.
Gimp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Smaller pinion gear and/or higher turn motor would help torque. Four link front shouldn't be too hard to fab up and would allow for more tire room steering, will the axle joints allow more steering? Slightly thicker wheel hexes would help get little more turning room too. What do you mean reverse actually work?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #114

work with control 1 out of 10 times, sometimes push the controller's trigger into reverse 30 - 40 times and then it would finalllly drive in reverse sometimes at the slow speed I was trying for other times it would go full speed reverse. The servo mount and back of axle have mounting holes so a 4 link could mount up nut I do not have that kind of skill, Prefer a buy it/ bolt it up package. Reprogramming the esc/controller did not help fixing the reverse problem at all. Putting the controller into low speed made it worse and turned the servo from good to useless, sent mine back, Do not know if it was a oops from factory or if all are like that. A slightly more offset beadlock would of gave full steering, my losi trekker wheels fit, but, have less (closer to knuckle) offset, so ddt's wider rims for the new rc4wd tires would be perfect. If they address these issues I will purchase another but for now going fast with not much steering will pass on. Would like a motor setup comparable to axial scx10 series 1 with a 55t or even a 80t/100t motor options, using the stock pro-line's setup as if the axial came with the 20t motor in it with 87/19 combo.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp99 View Post
work with control 1 out of 10 times, sometimes push the controller's trigger into reverse 30 - 40 times and then it would finalllly drive in reverse sometimes at the slow speed I was trying for other times it would go full speed reverse. The servo mount and back of axle have mounting holes so a 4 link could mount up nut I do not have that kind of skill, Prefer a buy it/ bolt it up package. Reprogramming the esc/controller did not help fixing the reverse problem at all. Putting the controller into low speed made it worse and turned the servo from good to useless, sent mine back, Do not know if it was a oops from factory or if all are like that. A slightly more offset beadlock would of gave full steering, my losi trekker wheels fit, but, have less (closer to knuckle) offset, so ddt's wider rims for the new rc4wd tires would be perfect. If they address these issues I will purchase another but for now going fast with not much steering will pass on. Would like a motor setup comparable to axial scx10 series 1 with a 55t or even a 80t/100t motor options, using the stock pro-line's setup as if the axial came with the 20t motor in it with 87/19 combo.
Try adjusting throttle trim. Mine was similar, seems to have ironed itself out with some slight tuning.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #116

Yup did that many times over. Set it ok for low but when switched to med or high it was off as fast as it could go and without touching the throttle. set it for high and switched to low and would get 1/4 of the end of throttle throw for forward with no reverse.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #117

I do not care for the speed. Keep it slow and torque it. If I could get it set like my losi mini crawler stock esc with60t slickrock motor with 11/60 gearing I would be pleased.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #118

On a positive note it did drive for 60 minutes going super slow crawler style using 5-10 % of the throttle up really steep pillow and couch course, Seen in jamesgimp99 utube videos with losi mini.. Also, axial simple light controller using only front lights added (as the esc has a red running light) was added into the 3rd open channel slot.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #119
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOOsE View Post
FYI. Proline has them in stock

Coupon code fb15 gets you down to 166 shipped.
Awesome!
Thanks for the Promo Code, that made it easier to buy one.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #120
Rock Stacker

Talked to the folks at Proline and was told all the Ambushes was out of stock, I got a refund and ordered one from ebay , will now be here on Tuesday 11th.....I hope.
AZDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote

1/24 Pro-Line "True Scale" Ambush - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.2 VP Scale Wheel True 1" and 1.250" Cans CarterFab Vendors Tires and wheels 106 05-02-2017 02:43 PM
True 1" and 1.250" Wheel Cans for 2.2 Vp Scale Wheels CarterFab Tires and Wheels 0 04-01-2014 09:32 AM
Project "working class superduty" true scale Diesel-tech 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 05-21-2011 09:36 PM