Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My Orlandoo Hunter Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

Default My Orlandoo Hunter Rubicon

Took me a week to finished the build

The build is fun... but i was unlucky and got the defect parts and need to wait for a week or so for replacement.

The car is so small, it is so hard to fill all the electronic stuff inside!!

Sorry for the sloppy paint job.. I screwed up a bit when i paint the black over the yellow!

Last edited by ywwong135; 10-22-2016 at 10:37 PM.
ywwong135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My Orlandoo Hunter Rubicon

Still waiting for mine to get here, I too plan on the yellow and black paint job....looks good.
AZDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Did you end up painting the wheels, or did you remove the chrome finish? I'm going to use oven cleaner on mine, then dye them black.

Also, is that the tint that comes with the kit? The windows look tinted.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
Did you end up painting the wheels, or did you remove the chrome finish? I'm going to use oven cleaner on mine, then dye them black.

Also, is that the tint that comes with the kit? The windows look tinted.
Yup...i painted the wheels.. i didn't strip the chrome finish.. I just spray a thin layer of Tamiya Primer and then spray a lay of Black. and then a layer of clear.

Yeah the windows are tinted like that from the kit.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

This little thing is quite capable of climbing. Amazing.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

im not gonna be able to open mine until Christmas :(

What parts were defective? I'd hate to start the build then end up not being able to finish it because of bad parts
nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #7

one of the shaft doesn't come with a hole drilled.... and i don't have any ability to drill such tiny hole on a tiny shaft!.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I ordered a Rubicon from Asiatees, had it at my door the next day! Gotta say the quality of parts is pretty darn good for how microscopic they are. Only found one screw that didn't have any threads... otherwise I got it pretty much together in two evenings.

I do have one issue however, seems to be some binding in the diffs. More noticeably so the rear, I put plenty of grease in there, and I am pretty sure the bearings are fully seated in the diffs, but I might pull them apart and check - it just seems like the gear mesh is a little tight.

I opted for axle mounted servo.. but I may also change that to chassis mounted to see if it gives me some more shock travel (not much right now).

I haven't wired the LEDs yet, are they all white? Or are the SMDs red?

Finally... when installing the wheels into the axles, there is a flat spot on the axle stub and the whee to line up, but even doing so, it tends to push the axle stub in, towards the diff, making it very hard to get some thread to screw the nut to.. IIRC this only happened on the front axle.
rknaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

On the front wheels I had to use a small flat screw driver like for eye glasses to hold the axle stubs out.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have some red and orange LEDs if you want a few. I bought them on eBay but they came in a pack of 100 each lol
Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate94gt View Post
I have some red and orange LEDs if you want a few. I bought them on eBay but they came in a pack of 100 each lol
Dang! I just bought some red and orange about 10 minutes ago. Oh well, I tried soldering the little SMDs and they were just too small for my big hands so I ordered a bunch of presoldered ones... I somehow burned up two of the four it came with when I tried soldering, so I just decided pressoldered will be the way to go for me. Otherwise, tested out the 3rd channel and I love how this little thing turns the lights on and off.

I took the diff apart and rebuilt it but still a little grindy, I will say it seems to be getting better the more I drive it. Fun little truck for driving across my desk at work and annoying my coworker.

One thing I forgot about... I was looking at parts online, and they sell the metal diff gears as an upgrade, and it looks like the kit is supposed to come with the 'heavy duty' black plastic gears. Mine came with the metal (brass?) ones, curious what everyone else got with their kits.

Last edited by rknaub; 01-06-2017 at 10:33 PM.
rknaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Mine are brass
Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Brass gears in mine.
seedburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanandserenesteve View Post
ugh. This makes me want one.
you should get one
Old 01-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #15

Hi Guys, new on the forums and new RC 4x4s. Just got my Rubicon a couple of weeks ago and am almost finished the build, just waiting on the electronics to arrive.

Fun build, but OMG everything is so small almost had to resort to my magnifier headset...

As for the gears, all of mine were brass.

Curious about the SMD lights, the instructions seem to actually call for 6 of them; 2 in each of the rear lights and the 2 up front. Yet, from what I see in the electronics kit only 4 are supplied. What have you guys done for the lighting?

nate94gt might want to take you up on some of those extra SMDs if I have any problems soldering mine when they arrive.
rowntrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowntrp View Post
Hi Guys, new on the forums and new RC 4x4s. Just got my Rubicon a couple of weeks ago and am almost finished the build, just waiting on the electronics to arrive.

Fun build, but OMG everything is so small almost had to resort to my magnifier headset...

As for the gears, all of mine were brass.

Curious about the SMD lights, the instructions seem to actually call for 6 of them; 2 in each of the rear lights and the 2 up front. Yet, from what I see in the electronics kit only 4 are supplied. What have you guys done for the lighting?

nate94gt might want to take you up on some of those extra SMDs if I have any problems soldering mine when they arrive.
Yeah I bought the extras, orange and red. Let me know if you need some

Last edited by nate94gt; 01-25-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #17

Hi Guys im new on here and hopefully posting in the right section. I have the orlando hunter jeep. im at the begining of the build and my diffs do not roll smooth, it seems like something is catching. I was wondering if the bearings were seated all the way down. I pushed as hard a sI could and they seem fine. however when I put the axle in and try to turn it it again catches. any ideas or experiences you guys might have had please advise. thanks again. Mike.
Mike1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:12 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

i had the same problem.
after i built the axles and attached the wheels I ran them back and forth over the table for about 5 min or so. seemed to smooth out the sharp brass gears. I can't remember who here said it but they attached the pinion to their hand drill and broke them in that way (probably much better method).
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

how bad is it catching? Mine had a tiny bit of a catch, but I ran it. It pulses a bit, but the more I run it, the better it gets. these are small cars and the tolerances aren't perfect, but they do break in.

Also I guess they make a 500rpm motor now (300 used to be the fastest), so if you have that one, it will probably break it in even faster.

My Orlandoo Hunter Rubicon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My experience in the building the Orlandoo Hunter 1/35 F-150 MAXXMASHER Micro Scale Rigs 24 09-11-2016 07:43 AM
Orlandoo hunter wheatyman Micro Scale Rigs 8 08-13-2016 10:36 AM
my Orlandoo hunter build eypontwion Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-06-2016 10:26 PM