Loving that color scheme. Really makes me want to get one
nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Godzooky: the Gelände2 1/18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate94gt View Post
Loving that color scheme. Really makes me want to get one
Well I hope I inspired you to get and start a thread about yours. I really love the color too! It was this or a satin olive drab; I'm sure either would have been satisfying, but this is totally perfect
I have many mods to come, so if you are not hooked into buying one yet, then, just hang on a few weeks.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-16-2017 at 12:26 AM.
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

You made the right choice I think. I'm doing a temper build right now, but maybe, we'll see. Harder to pony up 200 but you never know.

I can't wait to see what else you have in store
Old 01-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Appears I ordered the last set of stock wheels and I also ordered a stock motor from RPP. Should be back on stock motor, the Baja Claws as an alternate tire and have my links and shocks finished by the end of the month.

I am hoping that the stock motor, through this ESC, both lasts longer and is more controlled. We will see if this one fries in 5 hours or not. Stay tuned.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
Appears I ordered the last set of stock wheels and I also ordered a stock motor from RPP. Should be back on stock motor, the Baja Claws as an alternate tire and have my links and shocks finished by the end of the month.

I am hoping that the stock motor, through this ESC, both lasts longer and is more controlled. We will see if this one fries in 5 hours or not. Stay tuned.
does the stock ESC only allow for 1 speed? All or none?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
does the stock ESC only allow for 1 speed? All or none?
No, it does has some variation; wasnt much though. Kindof seemed like a "low-medium-high" kind of control.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
No, it does has some variation; wasnt much though. Kindof seemed like a "low-medium-high" kind of control.
Interesting. though for that kind of money, I would expect a full range of motion. My $80 temper only had 1 speed, it sucked. a $5 esc and $8 receiver fixed that
Old 01-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Interesting. though for that kind of money, I would expect a full range of motion. My $80 temper only had 1 speed, it sucked. a $5 esc and $8 receiver fixed that
Thats my thinking, that a different ESC and ofcourse receiver would make for a different experience.
I expected crap electronics in exchange for quality elsewhere hopefully in the drivetrain..
I trust he is going to be very capable after just a few mods.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

I have been back on stock motor power, running off the HW1060 esc.
Its nice to have the total throttle control; but its totally underpowered and seems so boring and incapable.
Ha, cant wait to fry this motor and put the servo motor back in. Creeping up on 5 hours run time.

Aside from this, I have no tinkered with anything else. Although, I have been working toward a Velcro/magnet trick to hold down the body. We will see. Just wanted to quickly update since it had been awhile.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

:edit: 8-20-17 the second OEM motor died. lots more hours, just not enough giddyup...

Last edited by SurfinStud; 08-21-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

For $12 I picked up a packaged Maisto 1/18th ford. I am hoping to be able to make this into an alernative body for the G2. Although, the wheel base is slightly longer. We will see where that takes us.

Also, met up with some locals at a park and crawled around with them for a bit. Enjoyed the time we spent. I let one test out Godzooky, he was real interested; and he ended up "fixing" Zooky.

Since I went back to the stock motor I complained about the lack of power. Well, silly me(and ignorant) failed to readjust any setting on the controller for the stock motor. He said I had it set to 70% output.. Also,apon installing the new stock motor I reversed the polarity; blue and yellow wires. We were able to address that in the field.

Stock motor, Godzooky is now a torquey little beast. On inclines he tends to lift the front end, this will be addressed soon. Before, if anything, it would struggle on the inclines.
We all gotta learn some way or another!

Last edited by SurfinStud; 08-21-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

No videos yet and I havent modified anything recently; but I do have several more hours on the stock motor now. Godzooky is still a blast in its stock form! I have had one shock rod unthread and another shock cap unthread(the lower portion of the shocks body) no biggy, simple fixes, he's running just fine now.

I did however recently modify my FlySky GT3C radio. It now has a mount for a camera. Very easy install not exactly clean, but I'm sure ill upgrade radios some day and ditch this one. Anywho; its simply an 8x4 Lego flat. Dremiled yhe nubs off the front half and Dremiled an opening in the Radio's body. Slid it in; glued it(gorilla hot glue//white expandable) and after that cured, I drilled a 1/4" hole for the phone mounts install.

The mount swivels 360* so the phone can be used horizontal or vertically.
Horizontally the phone is upside so the camera doesn't capture the mount in the picture.
And I can always remove the mount so it is just the 4x4 Lego left attached.

NOW some better quality video should be on the way. This modifocation began after I filmed some video in a creek with my SCX10. I pinned my phone between the radio and left, throttle hand.. It was sketchy but worked... heres that video. Pink Floyd soundtrack was copyright blocked apparently...

Last edited by SurfinStud; 12-18-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Removed bad Youtube URL.

ill add random pics here eventually maybe.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 12-18-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

I am working on Godzooky's interior currently. It'll be half interior, just to cover the electronics, but not enough for leg room. So, like my scx rubicon...
Soooo, in the mean time ill add a post about the steering links and the "extended shock mounts."

The two steering links: from the servo to a knuckle, and between the two knuckles for each front wheel.. all this has been covered in another thread I am just adding it here so the information can be found easier..
I used 2-56 threaded rod, with a sleeve of 1.8xXX aluminum stock: I used square for my steering links, circular is the same dimensions, same method.
And for the ends i used RedCat Racing Rod Ends(#24708 ) and for both the suspesion and links i have used RedCat's Long(#24728 ) and Short(#24005 ) Ball Studs.
In addition, the Long Link, between each knuckle, is also relocated to behind the driveshaft in between the Four Link(upper 2 and lower 2)
Using the Ball Studs the two links have know way to mount to the same side of a knuckle, so its gotta get moved...

The rod ends thread right onto the 2-56.
Doing these alone allow the suspension to have more travel. The Servo link here is the first to bind on extension.
I will be doing the Four Link in this exact method, either using square or round aluminum. I don't think ill make a post for those later as this method is now posted here, as well as, in many other places on this forum.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 12-19-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

ahh good ole extended shock mounts for the new Frankensteined shocks.

so, these were easy, just time consuming to shape.
First i used 3 layers of .04 styrene and gorilla super glued them together; about 1"x2" rectangles. Made in pairs, front and rear, the two will be different dimensions.
Then I used the original shock mounts and traced the bolt holes to the pieces of styrene. Using a caliper I then measured the height I needed, 8mm, and drew a new bolt hole higher onto the styrene.
Then I eyeballed a shape, traced that and began to trim using my dremil.
and then paint it black and get ready to mount.

I used the ball studs to self thread into the styrene, still used lock tite ofcourse.
So far the styrene has been holding up well. we will see how long that lasts.
This method would work well for 1''x1/8'' aluminum.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 12-18-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Big thankvs for sharing your good work
doudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

https://youtu.be/vaDHKJvhy0w

The most recent video.
Filmed in Castlewood Canyon, Franktown, Colorado.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 12-18-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #38

Love the name and the color!
Jacobdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Finally got around to interior pictures and rough install.

So, the base is made of .02 styrene, expandable foam under the cut up tarp. The expandable foam pieces were lighter than styrofoam from a box...
Seats, spare tire and dash are from the maisto explorer that i posted about previously.
Driver is $1 from dollar general; he came with a passenger and two guns. The guns look decent(not shown)

Under the tarp is a cutout square so the wiring for the receiver and ESC can run their normal routes; odd shaped foam was glued around the edges
It needs to be cleaned up, and id like to add scale wood 2x4s in the rear.
But this is good enough for a quick write up.
^Not resting all the way down at the moment.. Needs some modifying and magnets in the rear.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-04-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

So, Today was a successful day. I got around to installing the Servo that I have had laying around forever. The much stronger, more range EMAX ES08MA II.
FWIW the stock servo is operating fine, i just felt like swapping them out to say its done...

I'll use this post as the official servo install post, so here are the :ETAILS::
I used the same link that i was using with the stock servo; its dimension are the same; but its fit between the rails is TIGHT
I had to trim the last hole off the end of the servo horn for the EMAX ES08MA II
Before doing that, it would hit on the frame during travel.
Also, the wire they provide is slightly longer than the stock's.

Video to come: I also installed the new gearing ALL PLASTICS "R5 1/18 MINI TRANSMISSION V2" Z-U0036
It is geared just as it should have been originally. Very slow crawl speeds with loads of torque; Top speed is slightly lower than the V1, to me its "just right." This is for scale crawling/trailing not drifting through the dirt. I have very little time with the new tranny(OEM Motor) so, i will report back with my findings and a video later.
oh yeah, and i finally gave my shocks Green Slime and topped them off with 20w oil! Just need to clean up the shafts and axles and she'd be looking new!

Godzooky: the Gelände2 1/18th - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
18th castle vs 18th tekin? KILLER KRAWLER Electronics 3 05-27-2009 10:42 PM
1/18th help Bknight Chit Chat 4 03-11-2008 08:03 PM
1/18th for $15 bmccoy General Crawlers 3 09-11-2006 08:43 PM
what do you think of my 1/18th? 475kyle475 General Crawlers 3 04-07-2006 07:56 AM