Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Godzooky: the Gelände2 1/18th

(Updated picture)
Current setup:
Transmission: R5 V2 Z-U0036 (Post#40)
ESC: HobbyWing Quicrun1060
Receiver/Radio: FlySky-GR3F/GT3C;
Motor: Motor from an SW0231MG Savox Servo (Post#17)
Suspension: Losi Shock bodies, 20wt
Shock mounts: Custom Taller Mounts (Post#35)
Servo: EMAX ES08MA II (Post#40)
Steering Link: Custom Square Link (Post#36)
Four Link: Currently stock but will match the steering links
Interior: Styrene and Static Pieces(Post#39)
Lighting: LEDs front and rear (Post#22)

Finally received my RC4WD Gelände2 1:18 and am seriously impressed!! This thread is to caption my build of this G2 into a capable tiny crawler, while still maintaining a scale, realistic look and feel. I hope to explain any issues, and possible fixes with this in hopes to encourage others to try it out!

Unpackaged, everything looks nice. I love the step by step manual(like legos), I wish it were a kit rather than RTR though. Aside from this there is not much of a write up pamphlet..
The weight makes it feel sturdy, not cheap. Steel axles, aluminum chassis and esc/battery and shock mounts
The layout of the stock electronics (which will not be staying) is okay, but I wanted the battery weight up front... Blah blah blah, I now began to charge the battery(41%) and inspect the rig and manual farther.

Shortly into the inspection and familiarization I located two stripped bolt heads, and many nuts throughout are scratched(paint) from their installment. For the price I paid, in my opinion, its disappointing; but not critical. I am still satisfied, afterall I did purchase it to modify.

So, I went out for his first run and found my nearest neighbor wondering in my yard. We have an agreement, so that is okay; here is a picture of the two together.

Now, onto the performance. I have read possibly every post on this forum related to the G2, every one seemed to state that out of the box its total junk, as far as control of throttle and torque etc. Well, let me explain that a bit. I tried to drive over to the tortoise through the dead winter grass and it stopped in its tracks. On the pavement there was a tiny twig, it stopped it in tracks then too! BUT THIS DID NOT LAST LONG.

I have about two hours drive time on the stock setup and it is now a performing tiny machine. Tires are worn in alittle maybe, but the motor definitely is. I am crawling over chopped firewood, up coquina rock slopes, over my bedsheets; still stock! Even that same grass, I am driving circles through it now!
Give it a chance, break it in and they run fine(for what it is)

First mod was relocating the front lower links to inside of the axle mount. I did this by removing the 4 screws for the mount on the top of the axle and then you can install the bolts for the links on the inside. Then reinstall the top mount etc..
Second was removing the tiny bushing from inside the front shock assembly. I just simply unscrewed the assembly, took out the guts; chopped the bushing out with scissors and then buttoned it back up. And then third was relocating the stock electronics using Velcro. Cut the original zip ties and then its ESC in the back, Battery up front; and just enough servo cable to do it.

One of Godzilla flexing over Godzooky.
Edited to add:After paint picture (1-10-17)

And to finish my first post about Godzooky, the 1:18 Gelände2; he is taped up for painting hopefully will be finished this weekend.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-04-2018 at 10:55 PM.
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Godzooky: the Gelände2 1/18th

I have ordered some suspension parts, all recommended from another thread. The results I hear are good, so I am giving this upgrade a shot too.

To start, ill use 2-56 Stainless Rod
With Redcat Rod Ends(2470 Redcat Short Ball Studs(24005) and Redcat Long Ball Studs(2472 for the links and steering links.

And for the suspension ill be using
Losi shocks(LOSB1293) and Losi External Springs(LOSB1722)
[Thanks Guards951 for the research on these and the part#]

With their modifying and installing I will also be shaving the excess material from the back of the hubs as well as removing the tip of the servo horn. These are both spots that intersect other parts on flex; so removing for more travel.

From here, all that is left will be power related and electronics.
For these I am thinking I will use a Tekin B1-R ESC or maybe just a HobbyKing 10a; both have had fair results from others. Either or paired with a GR3F receiver for my FS GT3C. For the motor I will try a "Brushless Outrunner" with about 2000kv of power or similar. What motor will be dependent on what ESC, whenever I get to that point.

Until then, I am going to be giving the stock radio and motor a shot. So far, with a bit of familiarizing, it is not all that for the size, it seems pretty capable.

Stay tuned for more.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-06-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

Sweet, looking forward to updates! Hope all of the suspension parts work out as well for you as they did for me.

Also, for whatever it's worth, the Hobbywing 1060 fit PERFECTLY, especially with the Tactic receiver I'm using (repurposed my Yeti Jr. transmitter). It fits around the shock tower like a glove, and even uses the integrated power switch mount without issue (upside down, for easy access).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guards951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guards951 View Post
Sweet, looking forward to updates! Hope all of the suspension parts work out as well for you as they did for me.

Also, for whatever it's worth, the Hobbywing 1060 fit PERFECTLY, especially with the Tactic receiver I'm using (repurposed my Yeti Jr. transmitter). It fits around the shock tower like a glove, and even uses the integrated power switch mount without issue (upside down, for easy access).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the 1060 tuneable or plug and play?
Ill research this one closely like the HobbyKing 10a. Thanks for the input!

Do I recognize correctly, you are still using the stock motor with the 1060?

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-06-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #5

It's just got a couple of jumpers that you can see on top to adjust the mode (Forward/Brake/Reverse, Forward/Brake only, Crawler Mode) and select battery type. Nothing too crazy, but it has a good drag brake, which I definitely wanted! And that was a dual motor setup in the picture, but now I'm going to a Sumo setup (don't do the dual motors). It'd be great with the stock motor, though! I'm running 3S with it, as well.
guards951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guards951 View Post
It's just got a couple of jumpers that you can see on top to adjust the mode (Forward/Brake/Reverse, Forward/Brake only, Crawler Mode) and select battery type. Nothing too crazy, but it has a good drag brake, which I definitely wanted! And that was a dual motor setup in the picture, but now I'm going to a Sumo setup (don't do the dual motors). It'd be great with the stock motor, though! I'm running 3S with it, as well.
Read several people who tried the dual motors were dissapointed. Sorry to hear that didnt work out.

Maybe ill order the 1060 to test with the stock motor(til I swap that out) I love the idea of a good drag brake; and it is fairly inexpensive.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 12-12-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Had a few moments before work, so decided to give the wheel install another try.

Last night, I got home from work and was excited to install the freshly painted outer wheels. I started the endeavour with little success. These tiny bolts are so hard to get threaded. .. So I stopped for the night and began this morning.

There are 24 bolts, one is slightly longer than the rest. So, after thinking about it, I installed each wheel starting with the longer bolt, then 3 normal sized, then removed the longer and installed the next wheel. until they were all installed with 3 bolts. Then the rest of the hardware and I am happy. Without realising the longer bolt is there, this is "practically impossible." Lol

Body shots(not that kind) will be here tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looking good!
I picked up some longer m1.6 bolts for the wheels, I think 10mm, after I buggered up a thread in one of the hubs a little bit. Makes life easier.

Do you have a pet tortoise or is he wildlife just passing by?
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
Looking good!
I picked up some longer m1.6 bolts for the wheels, I think 10mm, after I buggered up a thread in one of the hubs a little bit. Makes life easier.

Do you have a pet tortoise or is he wildlife just passing by?
Just a visitor. Hadnt seen him in months, guess it was warm enough that day for him to venture out of the burrow. I was considering the idea that he wondered off and dug a new burrow, but I guess not.

I have already been considering that. Even adding 1 or 2 extended bolts per hub would help I believe. Thanks for the bolt size though! I can definitely see needing some anyways, as the original heads seem to woller out easily, like aluminum... Thanks man!

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-09-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Had links to videos that no longer exist.. Ill update this post someday with some sort of information or pics

Last edited by SurfinStud; 12-12-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

And sooner than expected, here are some body shots. The bad, I plastidipped the tail lights and fender light hoping to just peel it off later, that failed. So its been a mess. And I originally intended for the white to go farther down the pillars but changed my mind and didn't take the time to do the prep.

This rig will be used; once scratched, all these flaws will fade away.

Doing prep for a side project on Zooky, I ended up finding a way to add dents. I simply used a bic lighter slowly warming the inside of the shell and pressing on the outside. a heat gun would be better.

Does the snorkel look too large?
It was sure inexpensive to make.
I absolutely love how the look came out though. paint and all, I am satisfied! Next stop, suspension parts arrival and maybe paint the A pillar white like the winshied frame.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 12-12-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.krug View Post
Zooky is looking awesome...nice job on the scale dentage!!
Thanks! I think it all came out really great. Although, now I am going to remove to snorkel and make an actual legitimate styled one.

The dents I feel really set it off. I must be fickle, I keep changing my mind on if there are enough dents or if I should have added more. Either way, that part is staying unchanged.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Bittersweet story...

Packages have been arriving.thats the good, its mostly downhill from here... Got most of my suspension parts and I decided to try the HobbyWing1060 ESC for the stock motor too. The packaging for the ESC was very nice, quality. The unit itself feels the same way, quality. Just got it installed and paired to my transmitter but no motor function; here's why.

Earlier today I was crawling with Godzilla and Zooky both, I want to make a path that Zooky can try to follow Zilla. I was testing out the first section of rock with Zooky and I lost motor function; no go but could still steer... I crossed my fingers and hoped it was the stock electronics. Swapped out for the 1060 that arrived today and my GR3F receiver and same situation, no go, only steering.
:CONFIRMED DIAGNOSIS: Just shy of 5 hours of run time and the stock motor is shot. Stock electronics are fine! That is, nearly 5 hours of legitimate using it before the motor fried. (Edited this confirmation into the post)

I did feel that, earlier in the run before I was trying to build a path Zooky seemed underpowered(more than norm)
Spots I felt I used to make "easily"(for Zooky) just didn't seem right and within 20 minutes I was stranded. Shortly after this happened it was time for me to go to work and I have just now gotten home to work on the new electronics install.

just need to neatly route the wire for the OnOff switch and the strand going to receiver..
..oh and a new motor

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-11-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Sucks about the motor, did you see this thread? Looks like a pretty decent replacement.
Bronco Beast........no, this is no Ambush!

The dents look good, not overdone like some.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
Sucks about the motor, did you see this thread? Looks like a pretty decent replacement.
Bronco Beast........no, this is no Ambush!

The dents look good, not overdone like some.
I have a servo (savox SW-0231MG) laying around due to stripped brass gears. Checked it out, the throat of it's motor is too large for Zookie's tranny.... Edit: Oh gosh, 02:15 and I just started drilling...
Second edit= 02:47 its alive and running well.

Ill check out that thread farther. Probably be ready to order the motor tomorrow.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-12-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:41 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Using Tgreer's idea(HUGE THANK YOU) I installed a motor from an old Savox SW0231MG servo that had stripped brass gears. The install was easy and straight forward. The mounting bolts both lined up as normally but the body of the motor hits the upper link's nut for the rear; I'm working on a remedy to that..
The only MODDING done for its install was simply bore out the existing exit hole in the transfer case. I used a 1/4 drill bit and I achieved good results. This was painful to do, but if failed, its 'only' a $25 part..

In the mean time ill be ordering another stock motor, to test with a better ESC and transmitter and ill order a different motor as its backup, which won't be another oem.
Without TGreers post, Godzooky would be in hibernation until UPS delivers me a motor.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:57 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.krug View Post
Right on! The one you have now doesn't look bad but something about it is a little off. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Could be a little off due to the fact that it is made from hot glue, heat shrink wrap and an led light housing and paint.
Really, from standing distance its not 'BAD,' good from far but far from good..
but I can do better and intend to.
Thanks for the encourahement!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Oooh, paints a beauty love the teal color, thanks for updated pic! Yes, do the A pillars same color as windscreen frame.

Nice rust inside the waterproof Savox servo lol. That servo motor should be much better than the stocker, can length and diameter are both more.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-12-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Oooh, paints a beauty love the teal color, thanks for updated pic! Yes, do the A pillars same color as windscreen frame.

Nice rust inside the waterproof Savox servo lol. That servo motor should be much better than the stocker, can length and diameter are both more.
The more I look at it the more I cringe that it hasnt been done yet(the A pillar that is)

Well, that servo came off my used SCX, so I have absolutely no clue what sort of life it had before me. Obviously it has been opened up once or twice though. Anyways, glad youre enjoying it; I intend to keep up with updates and how things are working for me. Stay tuned!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Well I am happy with these results.
1. I shortened the snorkel and I think it looks better now(for what it is) until I make a scale replacement. Now the big news

2. I installed LEDs! The fronts are 5mm white with a 120ohm resistor; the rears are 3mm amber and 5mm red both with 200 ohm resistors.
The resistors are ran one resistor per each color pair; on the negative cable and they're ran in series. They will be powered directly off the battery leaving my 3rd channel on the receiver open.

After routing the wires I installed the LEDs and then used FlexSeal(16oz. Can) and dabbed it on the back, both to prevent light penetration and for a weak adhesive. I am very pleased with this install. the ugly rear housing is simply Pen bodies cut and stainless washers adhered to one side. Then glue them to the body. The neat factor on their install does not bother me. Function Over Form, in this case. I have been using Gorilla Super Glue and Gorilla Glue(white) for the adheration aside from the FlexSeal mentioned previously.

And 3. If you hadnt noticed, the A pillar is now all white; but needs an additional coat.

Last edited by SurfinStud; 01-13-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Godzooky: the Gelände2 1/18th - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
18th castle vs 18th tekin? KILLER KRAWLER Electronics 3 05-27-2009 10:42 PM
1/18th help Bknight Chit Chat 4 03-11-2008 08:03 PM
1/18th for $15 bmccoy General Crawlers 3 09-11-2006 08:43 PM
what do you think of my 1/18th? 475kyle475 General Crawlers 3 04-07-2006 07:56 AM