Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Orlandoo Wrangler build #2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Orlandoo Wrangler build #2

I'm going to start this one tonight. I ordered it from Banggood on January 17, paid $12 for EMS shipping (which is a great deal IMO), and its out for delivery today. 10 days shipping halfway around the world. Not bad!

My first build wasn't perfect. I broke one of the chassis spots where a control arm mounted to, and I figured it would be OK but it wasn't. I tried to order an aluminum one, but they were out of stock. the model glue fuzzed up the windows and headlights/taillights. And the LEDs were a HUGE PITA, so I'm going to do this one w/o the LEDs. I can always add them later if I want.

my new one is going to be the bright metallic blue w/ black flares/top. I also ordered the black beadlock wheels and the F150 tires:

Orlandoo F150 OH35P01 KIT Parts Tire Skin 4PCS GA1001 Sale - Banggood.com

Orlandoo F150 OH35P01 KIT Upgrade Parts Wheel Hub 4 PCS Sale - Banggood.com

I wish they'd ship 5 wheels and 5 tires, but nope :(

So, heres my first build, its a black on black like my TJ.

nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Orlandoo Wrangler build #2

Doesn't look too shabby to me!

I have an F150 waiting to build up, but I'm dreading having a similar experience, it's all soooo tiny and fiddly looking Better luck with the next one, practice makes perfect and all that

I use canopy glue to avoid fogging lenses and windows - it's intended for rc aircraft, is dead strong and dries crystal clear:
Zap - Canopy Glue - 2oz Bottle G-PT56 | eBay
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
Doesn't look too shabby to me!

I have an F150 waiting to build up, but I'm dreading having a similar experience, it's all soooo tiny and fiddly looking Better luck with the next one, practice makes perfect and all that

I use canopy glue to avoid fogging lenses and windows - it's intended for rc aircraft, is dead strong and dries crystal clear:
Zap - Canopy Glue - 2oz Bottle G-PT56 | eBay
damn, that's good to know. I'll see if I can pick some up at the hobby shop tonight when I go pick up my blue paint. Probably gonna get some tail light red as well, since I already have the amber. Cant wait!

I got the new motor plate installed in the old chassis and I'm painting the new body. One problem I'm running into right now is that I want to axle mount the servo but the servo is hitting the motor

OK to combat the servo hitting the motor, I tried shimming it out a bit. It works now. But I broke one of the ears on the servo lol. It if only half broken so I'm gonna limp it along until I can order a new one

Last edited by THX_138; 03-23-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #4

Has anyone had issues with it jerking or surging when you apply steady throttle? Like something is out of mesh.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
Nitrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yes. as you drive it, it should smooth out. wear in the gears.

It's done. It's a little saggy in the rear from the battery and electronics back the, I'll have to work on that.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-23-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So the LEDs area huge pain right? I ordered some prewired SMDs from eBay, and they work like a charm. No way I was gonna be able to solder leads to those microscopic things. Also, I ordered a nice set of micro hex drivers from amazon. The hunter uses the .9mm size, my set even came with a .7mm (holy cow). This helped tremendously with the tiny little ball ends. Oh ya, the LEDs are cool, on a 3 pos switch, it gives you hi and lo beams.

Also had lots and lots of surging or binding on my hunter jeep. It seems as if I were able to get the pinion gear to sit a little deeper in the diff, it wouldn't bind so much, but I couldn't really get it to stay that way - after a few battery packs it smoothed out some, still not butter though. I hooked the battery straight to the motor and let it run upside down for about 5 minutes or so a couple times to help speed this process up.

I spent lots of time masking the body and trying to get it perfect, but in the end, I had some marks and imperfections from handling it while trying to get all the little plastic pieces glued on. One of the mirrors broke off already, but was able to glue it back on.

It's a cool little RC, got mine from Asia tees, spent the extra for expedited delivery and had it shipped to my door in like two or three days.
rknaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknaub View Post
So the LEDs area huge pain right? I ordered some prewired SMDs from eBay, and they work like a charm. No way I was gonna be able to solder leads to those microscopic things. Also, I ordered a nice set of micro hex drivers from amazon. The hunter uses the .9mm size, my set even came with a .7mm (holy cow). This helped tremendously with the tiny little ball ends. Oh ya, the LEDs are cool, on a 3 pos switch, it gives you hi and lo beams.

Also had lots and lots of surging or binding on my hunter jeep. It seems as if I were able to get the pinion gear to sit a little deeper in the diff, it wouldn't bind so much, but I couldn't really get it to stay that way - after a few battery packs it smoothed out some, still not butter though. I hooked the battery straight to the motor and let it run upside down for about 5 minutes or so a couple times to help speed this process up.

I spent lots of time masking the body and trying to get it perfect, but in the end, I had some marks and imperfections from handling it while trying to get all the little plastic pieces glued on. One of the mirrors broke off already, but was able to glue it back on.

It's a cool little RC, got mine from Asia tees, spent the extra for expedited delivery and had it shipped to my door in like two or three days.
I guess they make a 500rpm motor now, that might help even more to speed up the surging. mine doesn't really surge anymore, so that's cool to me.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #8

I ordered mine from rcmart and the nihm battery it came with is too big for the battery compartment. I am still on the fence about wiring the lights as well. I did find some die cast 1/32 cars at Walmart that I might see if I can fit on the chassis. I picked up a Bronco and its wheelbase is just shorter. it looks like I would have to sacrifice either the front or rear led holders to get the body on. Here is a picture of the two to compare.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
Swift Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

anyone know how to increase the turning radius? it seems pretty wide.

Also, new wheels:

Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

^^probsbly going to have to get a better servo if you want better steering. Check out Hitech servos. I have them on my Trekkers and they are great!
cleanandserenesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'll check out the servo specs, thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Really cool little rigs, is there alot of extras for these little rigs?

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
kizzer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzer49 View Post
Really cool little rigs, is there alot of extras for these little rigs?

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
Sort of. You can go to rcmart, they have a ton. Amazon has a few too iirc
Old 02-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Why are they not fitting? They go on a certain way and can be a pretty tight fit
Old 02-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I know I had to press on mine pretty hard.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I know the hub is flattened on two opposite sides and wheel bore is shaped to fit. I simply press wheel on and rotate it till it catches. But it never does. Something is wrong with the mold or fitment is too tight. I dont want to press to hard because I am already on the verge of breaking something.

Now when I do the same procedure with Mini Z wheels the just drop in. The same with XMods wheels. I have a drawer full of them and each of them fits.

Did those aftermarket fit any easier? They are aluminum, right?

Thanks for sharing, Your thread among few others on this forum convinced me I should build one of those monstrosities myself. I am going to be giving those aluminum wheels a chance.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-23-2017 at 09:00 PM.
JerryIRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #17

Here are two pictures of my build. Currently there is no lighting installed. Also because of an issue with the ESC I can't get my servo to work normally when plugged in to the ESC unit. I have wired my servo to run from my receiver. I run the risk of burning up the servo because of the 5v vs 4.2 max of the servo. After a five min. test run all seems well.

I love seeing everyone's builds of these. Any tips for getting the body on and off more easily?

Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIRacer View Post
Thanks for sharing, Your thread among few others on this forum convinced me I should build one of those monstrosities myself. I am going to be giving those aluminum wheels a chance.
where do you live? Maybe I should ship you the wheels I used originally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Fox View Post
Here are two pictures of my build. Currently there is no lighting installed. Also because of an issue with the ESC I can't get my servo to work normally when plugged in to the ESC unit. I have wired my servo to run from my receiver. I run the risk of burning up the servo because of the 5v vs 4.2 max of the servo. After a five min. test run all seems well.

I love seeing everyone's builds of these. Any tips for getting the body on and off more easily?

is that a wrap?
I have no easy trick to get the body off easily, I usually just pull out and up on the front where I can get my fingers in under the headlights.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-23-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate94gt View Post
where do you live? Maybe I should ship you the wheels I used originally

is that a wrap?
I have no easy trick to get the body off easily, I usually just pull out and up on the front where I can get my fingers in under the headlights.
It's not a wrap. I used a cotton swab and 3 different colors of alcohol ink. I would dab on dots of one color, then another, then another. I did this until I had the coverage I wanted. The nice thing is I could clean it all off with some alcohol if I want to change it up.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

@Nate Thank you for your kind offer. I think I will get those aluminum wheels, in the mean time I will disassemble rear axle and use bare hub to test fit and modify stock wheels.

I have bought mine form RC Mart with NiMh battery. It does not fit. I figured I will cut shrink wrap and place cells 3 on each side and run some wires to have the load spread equally and center of gravity low. Will report back.

Hey Swift - that body is far out. Groovie mann!
JerryIRacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Orlandoo Wrangler build #2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a part for the Orlandoo Wrangler nate94gt Micro Scale Rigs 4 01-17-2017 06:39 PM
my Orlandoo hunter build eypontwion Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-06-2016 10:26 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
My Wrangler JK Build dbb888 1.9 Scale Rigs 54 03-18-2009 12:28 PM