Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Micro Highroller to '79 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Micro Highroller to '79 Ford Explorer

I decided that I wanted to make something original as I had gotten bored with a slow crawler and I wanted to make something faster. not being able to find used redcat axles anywhere I decided to go a different route.

I had an old losi micro highroller kicking around and I figured I'd see what I could make happen.

I found this model: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...A/rocketfin-20

I built the model and spray painted it with that chalkboard paint to give it an old beater truck kind of look. The decals don't stay on that well but that kind of fits with the beater look. I then divided the highroller in half. I drilled two holes in the bed of the model and put the body posts through those and held them in with body clips. Then I used double sided tape to attach the wheely bar to the back bumper. after checking for correct wheel base I epoxied the main chassis part of the highroller to the bottom of the cab of the model. after that I dremmelled out the wheel wells to fit the big tires I made. I then epoxied some leftover chrome shafts from the model's parts tree to bridge the gap between the main chassis and rear end of the highroller for stability. I touched this up with chrome paint. it looks mostly alright I think.

For the wheels I glued the tires from a 1/24 redcat sumo (not the crawler) onto the stock wheels from the highroller. to power it all I'm using a 2s lipo hooked up to a 10a esc from hobbyking and a 5300kv brushless motor. oh yeah, I also grabbed a 59t spur gear that's normally used for the trekker and used crazy glue and heat shrink to reduce the inner circle until it sat in the micro highroller slipper clutch assembly properly. I put a brass 12t pinion on the brushless motor.

it's pretty quick and has a decent amount of torque but I've only been able to test it in my parking garage so far since we just had a big snow storm. anyways, thanks for reading my novel. now, pictures!

twomicros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Micro Highroller to '79 Ford Explorer

I made another set of wheels by gluing trail trekker tires to micro dt wheels. I used the same method that I used to make the other set of wheels for it. it's kind of crude but it works. I also cleaned up the wiring.

twomicros is offline   Reply With Quote

Micro Highroller to '79 Ford Explorer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford explorer body? losimini760 Paint and Body 4 02-01-2012 01:42 PM
1:20th Ford Explorer rebuild Ratboy99 Micro Scale Rigs 6 06-25-2011 05:41 AM
1:10 Ford Explorer Sport Trac WVB Paint and Body 2 08-27-2007 02:22 PM