Notices

Thread: Getting Small...ER , Orlandoo style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Getting Small...ER , Orlandoo style

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler View Post
I actually ordered the 32 kit last evening!
I hope there's a build thread comin' up. I'm still thinkin' about gettin' one of 'em.

This past week's tinker-time was spent on these ....

... or at least some of them. Here's what I've worked on so far.

I de-militarized the Blitz cans by filling and sanding the markings, and shaved and sanded the lettering from the top of the drum. The jerry cans and the drum needed some filler here and there too. I clipped out the sleeping bags, some of the rolled tarps and a duffel bag (to throw on the rack) and got them all primed.

I'm gonna get more colors and details painted on the roof goodies, and I want to mod' the spare rack to hold a Blitz can on each side.

I'll paint the 3rd Blitz blue (for water) so I can get extra color if I want. At least I have a few more details to throw in it now.

Thanks for lookin' n likin'.

dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 02:54 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

looking AWESOME!!!!...
Phmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phmaximus View Post
looking AWESOME!!!!...
Thanks ,
I got some detail painted on the goodies and dull-coated them. Then I shot some gloss on the cans, I think it helps them.

I ended up de-militarizing .... 2 sleeping bags (now red and yellow), 1 heavy duty green tarp, 1 blue tarp, 1 solar blanket, a "tent in a bag" (duffel bag, now yellow ), and 3 packs (a yellow and 2 blues).

My bungees hold most of it on, so I haven't glued anything, and there's plenty left on the sprue's.
I still need to make my rack for the cans. Oh, and I got some 2mm I-beam, any guesses at what it's for?

Thanks for checkin' it out .... tune in next time.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

I got a can rack worked up this past weekend. Started with some sheet styrene and a plan ...

... and tweaked the plan a bit.

Here it is after some paint. I extended the tire screw and added a nut to hold the carrier separate from the tire.

Tire's mounted, plenty of taillight visible.

I can swap cans, for water or gas ....

....and here's the main reason I built one of the oil drums.

Next will be the project with the mini I-beam.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

I got a can rack worked up this past weekend. Started with some sheet styrene and a plan ...

... and tweaked the plan a bit.

Here it is after some paint. I extended the tire screw and added a nut to hold the carrier separate from the tire.

Tire's mounted, plenty of taillight visible.

I can swap cans, for water or gas ....

....and here's the main reason I built one of the oil drums.

Next will be the project with the mini I-beam.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

I was playin' with the camera today .... I call these "Mountain 'Doo"

Here's the funny one, to me.

I call it " 'Doo-Dreamin' "
Old 11-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

LOL! Behind the scenes...almost had us fooled there...
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwatchman View Post
LOL! Behind the scenes...almost had us fooled there...
Thanks ya can't believe everything you see.
maybe I should have kept that last one secret.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Really enjoyed reading about your build here and all the detailed mods are fantastic! This is one of the micro-crawlers that I've got my eye on so I hope that I'm not out of line with so many inquires. And maybe it will help someone else that is also looking at potentially purchasing this platform so, anyway... here goes:

I see that you have a TQ 2.4 3ch radio. I assume that you need this instead of the 2 ch option so that you can have lights?

Is the receiver included with the kit or with the transmitter or does it need to be purchased separately? If so, what rec do you have or recommend?

The recommended 1/35 micro-crawler 2S LiPo battery ( 7.4v 260 mAh) is out of stock at HT USA. What battery are you running and do you feel it's sufficient? I thought I read that it was 250 mAh?

The recommended 2.2g low voltage digital servo is out of stock at HT USA. Is that the servo you're using? If not... any recommendations?

The recommended motor has several variations ( 120, 150, 200, 300, 500) but the only one in stock at HT USA is the 150 size. What size are you using and is it sufficient?

Did you ever get rid of the issue ( vehicle rolling backwards/ excessive DS play) when you installed the upgraded alum driveshafts? Or at least eliminate the slop enough that it's not overly frustrating?

What are you using to charge the LiPo batt pack? I'm guessing no charger is included in the kit since no battery is included.

Okay... Apologies if this was the wrong thread to pose all these questions. I'm just trying to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before pulling the trigger on this one. Also I keep mentioning Hobby Town because I'd like to get everything ( or as much as I can) from one place/ one order.

Thanks so much for your help/ advice. Again... awesome looking little crawler and such impressive skill and imagination with the modifications.
high plains drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Really enjoyed reading about your build here and all the detailed mods are fantastic! This is one of the micro-crawlers that I've got my eye on so I hope that I'm not out of line with so many inquires. And maybe it will help someone else that is also looking at potentially purchasing this platform so, anyway... here goes:

I see that you have a TQ 2.4 3ch radio. I assume that you need this instead of the 2 ch option so that you can have lights?

Is the receiver included with the kit or with the transmitter or does it need to be purchased separately? If so, what rec do you have or recommend?

The recommended 1/35 micro-crawler 2S LiPo battery ( 7.4v 260 mAh) is out of stock at HT USA. What battery are you running and do you feel it's sufficient? I thought I read that it was 250 mAh?

The recommended 2.2g low voltage digital servo is out of stock at HT USA. Is that the servo you're using? If not... any recommendations?

The recommended motor has several variations ( 120, 150, 200, 300, 500) but the only one in stock at HT USA is the 150 size. What size are you using and is it sufficient?

Did you ever get rid of the issue ( vehicle rolling backwards/ excessive DS play) when you installed the upgraded alum driveshafts? Or at least eliminate the slop enough that it's not overly frustrating?

What are you using to charge the LiPo batt pack? I'm guessing no charger is included in the kit since no battery is included.

Okay... Apologies if this was the wrong thread to pose all these questions. I'm just trying to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before pulling the trigger on this one. Also I keep mentioning Hobby Town because I'd like to get everything ( or as much as I can) from one place/ one order.

Thanks so much for your help/ advice. Again... awesome looking little crawler and such impressive skill and imagination with the modifications.
Thank You, Glad you're enjoying the thread. It's a fun little rig, and it's been fun to build and modify.
I try to put lot's of detail in my build threads, but ya can't cover everything, so I'll try to answer all of your questions. Here we go ....

You pegged it, 3 channels are needed to control the lights. I like Traxxas radios, and I had a receiver laying on the bench so I used it. You can find some Tx/Rx combos, or buy them separately. I'm using a 5-ch. TQI receiver, but I pulled off the top, cut off all of the unnecessary pins and then bent the needed pins over to make it even thinner. Then I pulled the pins out of the Orlandoo ESC's plugs and covered them with small heat-shrink tubing, to get rid of the plugs, and make it all as compact as possible. I covered the receiver with masking tape and stuck the ESC on it. If you need any more pic's, let me know.

I'm not sure what battery is recommended, but I found 2 different ones on eBay, I think they were listed for a Losi micro SCT. Anyway, one is a Horizon Hobby, Dynamite "reaction" 250mah (#DYNB0001). It's a 20C, and it's a snug fit, but it fits. I also found 3 other little ones, the label reads "EAGLENERGY Lipo Battery". They're also 250mah, but 30C, and they're a bit smaller, so they fit easily. I get around 2-hrs run time, so I don't know why I'd need more. Both brands needed the power plugs changed to JST's, so be ready. No charger with any kits I've seen. I have a FTRC smart charger, and I usually balance charge all my lipos.

I'm running the 2.2g, standard servo, but I cut and drilled the mounting tabs for suspension clearance. When I did the "lift", I switched to a notch longer servo horn.

I'm running the 80-rpm set in mine. I have a 200-rpm set too, tried it, but I like "sloth" crawling the rocks so I geared it back down.

The alum' drive-shafts are a bit tighter, but it still has a bit of slack in the drive-train. Really, the only time I notice it much is slow rolling over the top of a rock. When the weight gets over the top, it'll roll forward just a bit. It's like driving a 4-speed, with the slight "roll" between gassin' and brakin'.

RCMart, Banggood, and eBay are all good places to find 'Doo's and stuff for 'em.

If you (or anyone) have any other questions, I'm happy to try to help. I have a couple more things in mind for the little Yeep, so check back. When you get one, be sure to post up a thread and some pic's.

Thanks again to all for the looks, likes, and good words.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS and Happy Hobbyin'.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #51
RCC Addict

I'm glad now that I asked-away lol! Thanks so much for all the specific info. I'm sure that some of this info will be found quite useful to other potential buyers/ modifiers ( even though I'm also sure that some of my questions were dumb lol). I've genuinely enjoyed watching this Jeep go from it's generic beginnings to where it is now... a solidly planned and executed project with all sorts of unique and personal touches throughout. As a full size Jeep JK owner, I can truly appreciate the cool-factor of this little beast!

Again... sincere thanks, dr frankenstyle!
high plains drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I'm glad now that I asked-away lol! Thanks so much for all the specific info. I'm sure that some of this info will be found quite useful to other potential buyers/ modifiers ( even though I'm also sure that some of my questions were dumb lol). I've genuinely enjoyed watching this Jeep go from it's generic beginnings to where it is now... a solidly planned and executed project with all sorts of unique and personal touches throughout. As a full size Jeep JK owner, I can truly appreciate the cool-factor of this little beast!

Again... sincere thanks, dr frankenstyle!
Happy to share. I've learned a lot in this forum, so I try to give back when I can. I think the exchange makes the hobby better for all of us.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #53

Good job on the build and I've enjoyed reading through the thread! Very informative and helpful
mts49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts49 View Post
Good job on the build and I've enjoyed reading through the thread! Very informative and helpful
Thank You , I try to make my threads (and my builds) detailed and entertaining.
I guess it's working.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #55
RCC Addict

I really liked you for awhile. Enjoyed this thread, and your pics. And then I got one of these Orlandoos for Christmas. Now I can't stand you. I can't see anymore. I couldn't see to drive to work this morning. I hope all this is spelled right because I can't see it to proofread. It's all your fault.

Seriously, though, it's been kind of a fun, challenging build. I suffered through the axles and links and just finished the frame halves. The detail in microscopic parts is amazing to someone who grew up in the '70's.

Now I'm trying to figure out the basic things like how to null the servo before installing it since I have to make a jumper for the ridiculously tiny plug to fit my servo tester, and what receiver could possibly work in this guy. Getting ready to go through this thread for the I don't know how manyth time here soon.

I'll take some of the pressure off you and kick Santa in the jimmy next time I see him!

Cheers
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I really liked you for awhile. Enjoyed this thread, and your pics. And then I got one of these Orlandoos for Christmas. Now I can't stand you. I can't see anymore. I couldn't see to drive to work this morning. I hope all this is spelled right because I can't see it to proofread. It's all your fault.

Seriously, though, it's been kind of a fun, challenging build. I suffered through the axles and links and just finished the frame halves. The detail in microscopic parts is amazing to someone who grew up in the '70's.

Now I'm trying to figure out the basic things like how to null the servo before installing it since I have to make a jumper for the ridiculously tiny plug to fit my servo tester, and what receiver could possibly work in this guy. Getting ready to go through this thread for the I don't know how manyth time here soon.

I'll take some of the pressure off you and kick Santa in the jimmy next time I see him!

Cheers

I literally just spit coffee all over the screen (and my cat) laughing at this post.
I know what you mean, never in my entire childhood did I expect to be able to build a rig so small, yet SO COOL.
Yeah, I used a standard Traxxas TQi receiver .... but .... I removed the top of the receiver case, cut off all unnecessary pins and bent over the needed pins, and cut down the plug housing to get it small enough. I have the utmost faith in you, 'tech, piece of cake. Now I wanna see it! You need to show off your work.
Glad you're enjoying the thread, and finding it helpful.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I literally just spit coffee all over the screen (and my cat) laughing at this post.
I know what you mean, never in my entire childhood did I expect to be able to build a rig so small, yet SO COOL.
Yeah, I used a standard Traxxas TQi receiver .... but .... I removed the top of the receiver case, cut off all unnecessary pins and bent over the needed pins, and cut down the plug housing to get it small enough. I have the utmost faith in you, 'tech, piece of cake. Now I wanna see it! You need to show off your work.
Glad you're enjoying the thread, and finding it helpful.

Ah, I see...well, there's the ticket.

I'll post up some pics when it's done. Maybe after the Lasik

Thanks!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

I can post up a better pic' of what I did, just let me know if you want to see more of anything. I usually take lots of pic's as I build, and if I don't have a better shot, I can open it up and take one.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Lately I've been busy, and my RC time has been spent with my drone. I just had to rebuild it after a crash, but while I waited for parts, I did add a new little detail to the Yeep too.

But then, I guess EVERY detail you add to one of these is little. I took a ground-marking flag, pulled out the wire, and cut off a little strip of the edge. I cut the wire-side so I could use the old wire wrap as a loop to go over the hook.

I used an orange flag and then hit it with a red Sharpie.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:21 AM   #60

Where did you end up finding the tiny led strip? Only thing I could find that was sized reasonable was some strips for upgrading LCD screens to LED backlight. They are only 2mm wide strips but the LED spacing doesnt work well.
kpbruka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oh35a01, orlandoo jeep

Getting Small...ER , Orlandoo style - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Orlandoo Joostproost Micro Scale Rigs 1 09-07-2016 10:48 AM